Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Built in Water Pan for Smoker - Do you often refill during smokes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built in Water Pan for Smoker - Do you often refill during smokes?

Hi All,

I have a Meadow Creek TS70P and similar to the Lonestar Offsets, you are able to fill the chamber with water. This feels like dumb question, but I can't find a good answer. For those who use water pans or fill their chambers directly, do you refill during the smoking process? Or just start with a certain amout and once it's evaporated, move on.

Yes. 🕶

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto, although I don't have an offset smoker or a water pan, if I dd I would, since I don't I won't.

I’m a refill guy. Keeping the moisture up the whole time seems to have better results for me.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed I refill it as needed.
      Plus if you let it go dry and all the drippings burn in the bottom of the pan you'll need a jackhammer to clean it after the cook.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool - I try to use disposable drip pans so there’s no cleaning at the end, but if I don’t plan ahead properly I end up using a baking pan….and it’s a PITA to clean after a long cook!!!

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      It was suggested I mold a piece of tin foil in there to solve this problem, do I remember....NO.
      Case in point, just put on a brisket....any foil....nope....

I never refill in my Kamado, but it seals so well I still get a blast of steam when I open it hours after the pan goes dry. For a water pan, though, I just use disposable foil drip pans, so there’s usually wonderful sizzling fat in there by the time the water is gone.

Comment

I have an LSG large and yes I use water for most cooks. I believe the pan is 5 gal and I put 4-41/2. there is a filler on top and on long cooks the pan evaporates so when smoke puffs out that hole I know its time to refill or if I'm real near to finish temp ride it out. But I have to watch cooker temp real close so it doesn't get away from me.

Edit: Sorry did read correctly mine is a cabinet and not relevant.
      Last edited by ofelles; February 26, 2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I usually don't. I've skipped using any water a few times in my offset and in my kettle+SnS just to see how things would go and I never noticed a drastic difference. After that I stopped refilling.

Comment

I use the water pan in my WSM for beef and pork. Chicken is smoked with the water pan on my lawn. I do refill it when it gets low mainly because it’s directly under the food. I have also done it without the pan and I found the cleanup to be more annoying since the drippings burned in the drip pan. I did foil it but not good enough So I would rather have it get caught in the water.
          Last edited by radiodome21; February 25, 2022, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks all! Appreciate the guidance!

Comment

Refill until crutch, then let run dry

Comment

• Santamarina
                Santamarina commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m not a crutch guy - I don’t wrap until the bark is set - but I agree that once you wrap the water pan isn’t necessary.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Santamarina that is when I "wrap" if you wrap, you crutch, lol. My opnion. Got a brisket rolling now. At about 165° I'll start checking the bark. Once it is set and the color i want it gets swaddled in botcher paper. Then at about 190° ill start checking for probe tender. Once there a quick wrap in foil and packed into a cooler with my BBQ towels for about a 4 hour rest before slicing. Once it goes in the paper, I quit keeping the water pan full.

STAINLESS STEEL WATER PAN - FITS ALL BAFFLE PLATES BY LAVALOCK
              https://bbqsmokermods.com/stainless-...lavalockr.html

I use it with my Okie Joe and keep it filled during the cook...made a big difference in my cooks
              add lemons 1/4'rd when I smoke salmon

sometimes onions and apple juice but it does not do much to flavor profile; however, it impresses the "looky-lou's".
              Last edited by Bad Hat BBQ; February 26, 2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Toss some onions, or onion paper and ends on the coals when company comes over. Doesn't do anything for flavor, but sure smells impressive. I do that at fundraisers I cater to kinda bait the neighborhood I to coming to see what is going on.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here