Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning Question

Later today I’ll be seasoning my new Meadow Creek TS70P. I think I have a handle on the overall process but wanted to get opinions on if I should oil the outside as well as the inside of the smoker? I’ve seen people do both and wanted to see what the pit prefers?

On first seasoning do not oil the outside paint. Most high temperature paints need to off gas with some heat before they are fully cured.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Is oiling the outside then something to do periodically down the road? (I assume like seasoning cast iron)

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Once the exterior paint has been cured then it is okay to use oil. I do it all the time on my LSG and my Yoder. The initial restriction is because the oil will prevent the exterior paint from off gassing and becoming fully cured. On a side note, many seasoning instructions mention temperatures that you should not exceed during the initial seasoning as too much or too little heat affects the curing of the paint.

For what it's worth this is what LSG recommends for the outside painted surface. I did it and it worked well. Read under Tips & Tricks.

https://lonestargrillz.com/pages/faq
    Last edited by Skip; December 12, 2021, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Good find Skip . I see the original curing instructions also mention the temperature restrictions I mentioned above and how that relates to the curing of the paint.
      Last edited by Donw; December 12, 2021, 07:11 AM.

I think the above advice is sound. What does MC recommend?

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty similar instructions, they mention spritzing some water in as well, but basically oil the inside abd let it rice between 250 and 300.

Here’s what Skip posted above and what Donw references.

Attached Files

Comment

I try to read and follow the manufacturer's directions. For example, I avoid Coors Light at all costs.
      That is what I do for my Traeger.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; December 12, 2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't we all avoid Kerr's Latt at all costs?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo