Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workhorse pits 1969 in action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workhorse pits 1969 in action

Finally got a truly Solid cooker last week, and put it to good use over the weekend after an empty burn and clean middle of last week.

Very pleased with how the first brisket turned out - though it did teach me I need more light in my new prep area so I can actually spot bits I've missed when scattering the rub over!

Really impressed by the evenness of temp across the grill surface once it settles down at any given temp.

My fire/temp management is not the best, but I'm getting there. Realising the realy importance of relaxing into it and resisting the temptation to futz with it when no fitzing is needed!

Very interested to hear any experiences of other people using Workhorse / Primitive pits too.
    Attached Files

Congrats on the new toy! Looks real solid just like that brisket.

Comment

Great lookin' cook and pit.

Comment

Sure looks nice.
        Have fun and good eating to you and PBR too.

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

Nice and tasty looking brisket! Great looking cooker, too!

Comment

That's a fine looking cooker.

Comment

Can’t decide which I like more, that brisket or your new smoker. And wow, what a huge firebox on that thing! It looks almost as big as the cooking barrel. Congrats and keep the pics coming.
                Last edited by Panhead John; June 14, 2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Nice lookin’ smoker and the brisket looks spot on,,,,
                  I think ur gonna flatten the learning curve real fast,,,,
                  Smoke on brother

Comment

Solid looking smoker. Where did you get your brisket from?

Comment

Originally posted by BarbecueBob View Post
                      Where did you get your brisket from?
                      This one was from Tom Hixson (I got it as part of a bundle with some Wexford beef ribs and some generic St Louis cut ribs. Normally try and source the cow a little more locally, but I was very impressed by the quality.

Comment

Congratulations on your new smoker and a beautiful first brisket on it.

Comment

Originally posted by reallyalexsc View Post

This one was from Tom Hixson (I got it as part of a bundle with some Wexford beef ribs and some generic St Louis cut ribs. Normally try and source the cow a little more locally, but I was very impressed by the quality.
                          I tried several places locally and despite being decent butchers, little knowledge on bbq joints of meat like pork shoulder (Boston butt) or even brisket. The first time I ordered a pork butt locally I asked for bone in and he gave me a shoulder with part of the spine still attached.
                          Recently I had a butt and St Louis style ribs from Hixons as well and I must say it was very good and the ribs were the meatiest yet. I also want to source more local but need to educate the butcher on what I want and that shiners on ribs are not on - more bone than meat.
                          I did have great meat from Costco.

Comment

• das85
                            das85 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I used to get great stuff at Ginger Pig...they also didn't seem super familiar with bbq joints, but sometimes that was a plus - a few times I stumbled on excellent pork ribs in their butcher case which they were practically giving away. I remember once having a hard time convincing them to cut a standing rib roast into what ended up being incredible bone-in rib steaks, the butcher felt I was committing a crime..

Originally posted by BarbecueBob View Post

I tried several places locally and despite being decent butchers, little knowledge on bbq joints of meat like pork shoulder (Boston butt) or even brisket. The first time I ordered a pork butt locally I asked for bone in and he gave me a shoulder with part of the spine still attached.
                          Ah yes, I remember having almost exactly the same problem -- you can see photos of the hunk pf meat I got, which I think I worked out was the top part of a shoulder primal towards the end of that thread.

Comment

Hard to say what looks better, the pit or the brisket! both dam good lookin. Good job brother!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here