Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Used the Oklahoma Joe Highlander? Modification Recomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Used the Oklahoma Joe Highlander? Modification Recomendations?

I realize tha Max Good only gives it is a Bronze! Better than No Rating or Not? Walmart had a pretty good Price on it, So I Bought It?? I got P'd O atNoDak 's, Sweet N Sticky in Dickey ND Rib Cook Off for Hospice of the Red River Valley of the North! I only placed 18th out of 33 Smokers with My Leaking Brinkman COS! I forgot the Winter Blanket but it was 80* F! I had put a DigiQ-2 Adapter on it just before the Competition and I think the Viper Fan I use on my Weber is too Small for the COS! BBQ Guru had a Larger Fan at a favorable price so it is Awaiting Mounting on the Oklahoma Joe!
    Any advice including Take it Back will be appreciated!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan
    Attached Files

Danjohnston949 , You will know pretty much right away how "leaky" it is on your first fire. That will probably be the first indication of quality. Seal up the larger ones and you should be able to get some good cooks out of it. You, tupperware and a walrus will all have one thing in common... you are all after a good tight seal.

take a look at this: http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product...o-hl-lh-ss.htm

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Curling Dog, Ain't that a Damned Fact! Thanks CD! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      CurlingDog, Thanks for the Link for BBQsmokemod.com/product that looks interesting!
      Thanks from a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Nice Dan,my question is why didn't you use your Weber kettle with the SnS for the rib cook off

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Powersmoke_80, When I left Fargo for Sweat and Stickey in Dickey, I didn't know the Layout of the Cook and
      I am glad I took the Brinkman the two Slabs of Ribs I Cooked (Smithfield) weighed over 7 1/2 Lbs / Slab! 15 Lbs
      of Ribs on my 22 1/2" Weber might have been a Full Load! Dan

I have either that one or the size smaller. Yes, it leaks, but I wouldn't take mine back because of that. I don't have any real issues controlling temp as long as I keep an eye on it. I'm toying with the idea of adding a controller so maybe I can get some sleep on really long cooks. The quality of the cooks are fine, IMO. I use it with both sticks and/or lump. The only real problem is ash build up. I added a couple of pieces of all-thread in the firebox to raise the grate.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx, Thanks for Your experience's, I intend to do some sealing on it before the First Fire! I think it will be easier to Seal than the Brinkman? I it is certainly heavier metal and construction! I hope I haven't jumped out
      of the Frying Pan & into the Fire! Dan

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx Cont, I intend to line both the FireBox and Cook Chamber with Fire Brick and add the DigiQ-2 Temp Cont.
      Before the first Fire! Also 1/8" thick self adheslve Nomax tape arround the Doors and Check for other problem
      areas & seal with RTV? Then I will Lite'r Up! Dan

I just bought the reverse flow version of this model, and it cooks really nice so far. I am enjoying it. I personally like offsets. And this one works really well and holds even temps right out of the box. It is baffled and the reverse smokestack mount is at grate level. Everything I had to heavily modify on my last COS is already done on this one and metal us much thicker/heavier. For $350 (reverse flow model) its hard to beat.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Super! Thanks for the updated review.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Still Love my OKJ!

I use mine as a stick burner. Most of the problems you have with that thing as a charcoal grill go away when you use logs and cook with the firebox door (not lid) wide open. I did lower the exhaust to grate level, but after running live fire and not smoldering charcoal it made no difference.

The best tip i can give you is be prepared for that paint on the firebox to blister and burn off. Some people use heat resistant paint to touch up, others use spray vegetable oil to keep the bare metals protected. I do both! I use oil when I use it a lot, then paint at the end of season. (managing a stick burner in freezing temps is for the birds, unless I'm getting paid lol).

Comment

• Michael Costello
      Michael Costello commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand what you saying about using it as a stick burner versus charcoal. I figured it out a couple years ago. I still use charcoal, but I throw a firewood size log of Apple (largest that will fit), to provide smoke and it really flattens the temperature fluctuation a ton. Paint did blister little on the Firebox, but that's a lot of heat, and I touched up right away with high temp paint.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here