Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do With the Drip hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do With the Drip hole

This may sound like a dumb question but what does everyone do with the Drip hole? All the time spent sealing the smoker everywhere and there is a gaping 3/4" hole in the bottom with smoke coming out. I wrapped foil over it to keep most of the smoke in and allow it to drip but wondering if there is a better way. Also, I have a water pan in the cooking chamber. The drip bucket fills with water. Is that normal or is that an indication of something wrong?

I'm on my 3rd cook on my Highland reverse, it is working well. The silver braze have held up well so far! Last cook was some venison roast that turned out amazing!

Working on some ribs now.
    Attached Files

I personally don't worry about it, my smoker seems to work fine despite the hole and once the smoker is at temp I don't notice much smoke issuing from it.

Comment

Since I'm using charcoal, I'm using a fan to maintain temperature. I just noticed when the fan runs, that is what is pushing the smoke out. It does stop once the fan slows down. I actually couldn't get the smoker up to temp today because I forgot to open up the damper on the fan and was starving the firebox. Was trying to get that going while hanging a new TV and running wire down the wall. Dummy...

What about the water in the Drip bucket? Is that typical?

Comment

I use aluminum drip pans with water in the bottom for humidity and to catch the drippings (easier clean up) so I don't have much that drips into the bucket. Water is a byproduct of combustion and some will condense and drip out until the smoker hits temp.
        Last edited by 58limited; July 17, 2022, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto.

Tis my understanding the drip hole is part of the design for air flow system.

Comment

• captainlee
          captainlee commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree, i wouldn't mess with it. It has a purpose, a drain. You may be over thinking but i understand your thoughts.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          I do tend to over think things. But I believe the grain hole was engineered into the design.

Makes sense. Thanks guys.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here