Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New (Used) Longhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New (Used) Longhorn

Bought this earlier this week before Panhead John made his post about the sale on Broncos (one is on the way). There is no model number on the data tag, just a serial number. The grate area is the same as the Longhorn model so that is what I'm calling it. This was made after OKJ sold out to Char-Broil but it is still pretty stout. The metal is 1/8" thick. The stainless shelf came with it when new.

My friend stored it in his garage. He cleaned it, covered it with cooking oil, and burned it at about 350o yesterday but advised me to go ahead and get it hotter. As you can see in the third pic I fired it up and left it wide open - it got to 550o in no time. I was impressed that there really wasn't any billowing white smoke either, it was mostly blue to clear as the fire took hold and the temperature rose.

Tomorrow I will be smoking the Akaushi wagyu brisket I got from Troutman awhile back. Its dry brining now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	okj1.jpg Views:	10 Size:	6.46 MB ID:	1200112

Click image for larger version  Name:	okj2.jpg Views:	11 Size:	5.78 MB ID:	1200113

Click image for larger version  Name:	okj3.jpg Views:	10 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	1200111

Click image for larger version

Name:	okj4.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1200122
    Last edited by 58limited; April 2, 2022, 01:11 PM.

Looks to be in pretty decent shape David. Congratulations. Just curious what you paid for it…mind me asking? If so, I don’t care, answer me anyway.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      A little less than half the price of a new Longhorn: $300. I didn't try to negotiate much since he is a friend and I know he takes care of his stuff. When not on sale they usually retail new for $650-$750 depending on the store. I'm actually very happy with this offset so far.
      Last edited by 58limited; April 2, 2022, 02:31 PM.

I had a Longhorn couple decades ago. Definitely pre-CharGriller. That thing was a wonderful beast. Didn’t really take full advantage of it. Then I had to give it up when we moved overseas for a while. Looks like you’ve got a good one.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Very nice David! That thing looks built to last, but can it stop a bullet?

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Sharps rifles: Kill on one end, maim on the other.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Be sure and get some good action pics tomorrow for the cook. Question, how does it seal? Is it fairly air tight so far? Also, I like the built in plate on top of the firebox, handy to keep stuff in a pot warm if needed. Also, have you considered plugging the factory thermometer and putting in a couple of Tel-Tru thermometers closer to grate level on each side?

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John There are smoke leaks around the door but not any worse than any other offset I've used. There are several aftermarket modification kits for these smokers but I'm going to try it as-is before buying anything - except that I bought an aluminum water heater elbow and stuck it into the smoke stack opening inside the pit to have the smoke and heat exit at the grate level instead of up top. I will probably drill a hole or two to run temp probes into the cooking area.

Congratulations. May that brisket be the first of many successful cooks you have on your new Longhorn.

Comment

Congrats and enjoy!

Comment

Wow! Wow! Wow! Oh, and wow, the meat!

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              I am so glad you can spot good meat when you see one.

Grat's and happy day's.

Comment

Wait! Are you telling us you might own something that wasn't made in or before the 1950's??!?!

"Who Makes Oklahoma Joe Grills? OKJ used to manufacture its products in Oklahoma for a long time, creating top of the quality, unbeatable appliances, and accessories. But in 1998, they were sold to Char-Broil. "

Comment

Neat to find something you have the history on like this does.
                Now you need another friend with a sawmill that specializes in cutting oak.

Comment

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've got 1/2 cord of oak so I'm good for now.

I have looked at this one many times so quite interested to see your results. I recall thatUncle Bob has the Judge, and had to make quite a few mods to get it to the point where it could be used as cooker but not really suited for heavy use.

However, I am curious about temp management and log consumption for the brisket cook. We get a lot of folks asking for cheap under 1k smokers for wood so it would be good to have another member owner weigh in.
                Last edited by STEbbq; April 2, 2022, 07:59 PM.

Comment

@IFindZeroBadCooks, wow, you've got a good memory to remember an older write up like that. To be fair to the Judge, it's a fine cooker right out of the box........for grilling, which is it's primary design criteria. Temp control isn't all that important for grilling, but to my thinking it is for smoking. The mods I did were only applying RTV at the fire box seams and a strip of insulation around the lid flange to make it less air leaky which helped for maintaining a steady temp when smoking. I don't have an offset, but because I drop in on some Oklahoma Joe specific sites I see where lid seals and hold down clamps are moderately common, probably for the heat retention in the cook chamber, less so for fire management as that's in the offset portion.

Comment

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seen the forums discussing modifications too. I'm definitely getting a baffle, preferably adjustable, for the firebox opening. I'm firing up the pit now and I opened the lid - flames shot out of the firebox into the smoke chamber and I got a face full of bad smoke. Granted, I just fired it up so its a large fire to get a good coal bed. Once the coal bed is established it should not be as bad.

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not finding any aftermarket adjustable baffles, I'll have to engineer one.

"Solid" investment. See if you can do that brisket justice !!!

Comment

Be sure to post pictures of the cook. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here