Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OKJ seasoning opinons???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OKJ seasoning opinons???

A few youtubers slather their new offset smoker with oil inside and out despite the manual specifying to brush only the inside and that the heat will finish curing the exterior paint. Does this trend have any basis in actual science or is it one of those "old husband tales"?

Most smoker exterior high temperature paints are not fully cured until they have been subjected to heat. During this process the paint will off gas. Coating the exterior paint with oil before this occurs interferes with the process, and later breakdown of the paint. Hopefully your owner’s manual tells a a temperature not to exceed during seasoning which probably takes into consideration the curing of the exterior paint.

Now, once it is all seasoned and cured fill free to coat the exterior with a light spray of 1/3 oil and 2/3 water and use your cooking to help season the outside. I do it frequently on the LSG and my Yoder.

Comment

Thanks Donw for your on point answer to my question. The manufacurer's instructions call for vegetable oil.Is that just a no brain default or should I be using another high temp oil such as peanut, avocado etc.?
      Also OKJ recommends using the fire box only for the seasoning fire and not he cooking chamber as well like some youtubers do dumping charcoals into the cooking chamber, holy s#!t ! (besides I got the baffle/tuning plate)
      The Rutland 2000F stove gasket cement I'm using to help seal the fire box to itself and the cooking chamber should work fine since I'm grinding off the weld high spots on the mating surfaces and re- welding on the inside flange. Then going down to bare metal for the cement to stick on both surfaces and hopefully no leaks.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got the OJ Bronco and I just sprayed, not rubbed, canola oil all over the inside and did two…2 hour burn ins. Everything worked fine. A vegetable oil spray is fine. The main thing is just run a hot fire in the pit. I did mine with vents wide open. But I’d still follow your mfg. suggestions.
        Last edited by Panhead John; July 10, 2021, 04:16 PM.

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I only sprayed the canola oil for one of the burn ins, not the second one.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here