Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein experimental pizza oven on the LSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenstein experimental pizza oven on the LSG

I've had success cooking pizza in the firebox of the LSG 20x36, but I wanted to find a more efficient way to get a pizza oven experience. Basically, cooking in the firebox I burn a LOT of wood and generate a LOT of heat getting the fire at the bottom of the box to heat everything and create the radiant heat to cook the pizza. It's great, I love it, and it really impresses guests. But for everyday pizza I want a more efficient, practical alternative that still involves open flame.

Then today I had one of them IDEAS.

One thing before I get into it: I made it harder on myself by getting that idea after I had already started another experiment - grinding my own whole wheat flour for 100% organic whole wheat sourdough pizza crust. Keeping in mind that I don't actually know what I'm doing - I never made a pizza crust from scratch in my life until about a month ago. I don't just do this stuff because I'm crazy (but I don't rule that out) - I'm always trying for high-nutrition, digestible, low-toxicity foods for my son's particular health/diet needs... that he will hopefully like and want to eat.

Back to the show...
    1. I put the LSG charcoal grill pan in the bottom of the cook chamber. (FYI - the charcoal pan is my favorite LSG accessory. Highly recommended.)
    2. I moved the narrow top grate to the bottom shelf so I could have access to the fire below.
    3. I put my pizza stone on the grate
    4. I put the stainless PK Cookmore extension grate above that, with my Camp Chef cast iron griddle on it (smooth side down - since that's the side I usually cook on & want to keep clean.)
    5. Added a couple bricks on the sides to keep heat in, but I don't know if that was actually good, bad or neutral.
    6. Fired up 3/4 chimney of briquettes and put some below and above.
    7. Still not getting hot enough. This is science... no time to be stingy with briquettes. Fire up another 3/4 chimney and add them. (BTW my infrared probe broke, so I was just guessing at the temp by sticking my hand in the middle.)
    8. I also tossed some hickory kindling on the briquettes to accelerate the fire.
    9. Seems like it's getting hot. Time to prep the pizza. Getting rid of leftovers from the weekend, so I asked my son if he wanted BBQ pork or chicken. He said BOTH. That's my boy! But it ended up being a really loaded, heavy pizza because of the whole wheat crust and lots of toppings - not ideal for this test.
    10. Pizza on! It took about 8 minutes to cook - I was hoping for the 4-5 range. But I know it would have been faster with a normal flour crust.
    11. Turned out great. I don't think the boy loved the whole wheat crust as much as a regular crust - who can blame him - but he scarfed it down with no complaints. And that whole wheat crust is so filling, the 2 of us didn't even eat the whole thing. 2 pieces left if anyone wants them!
    Things to try:
    1. Obviously a regular flour crust with a lighter load of sauce and toppings.
    2. I think I should get the top griddle preheated even more. If I leave the pizza stone out at first and put some wood splits in the bottom to get everything rip-roaring, that will probably help. Problem with that is adding a cold pizza stone to a hot grill is asking for trouble. I've seen pizza steels discussed around here - link would be great if anyone has it.
    3. I'm thinking the bricks may have blocked hot air circulation that would have been helpful, so I'll try it without them. If this were out in the open air it would be different. But inside the LSG the heat is already contained.
    Proof:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	794165

Name:	IMG_0823.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	794163

Name:	IMG_0824.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	794164

Name:	IMG_0825.jpeg
Views:	519
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	794162

Cool idea. I like it. And looks like you’re getting quite good at that pizza making thing.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      It's fun - don't know why I waited so long to get started, but I'm kinda hooked. And there's no going back now. Store-bought pizza crust can't compare to homemade.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve tried a couple of times with quite poor results.
      It’s something I gotta get better at when it gets a bit warmer out.

That is sorta like dutch oven pizza! Cook from top and bottom at the same time.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly - that was the inspiration.

Maybe you can put the iron right over the coals first to get it hot before you put the coals on top.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea - I'll let you know how it goes.

Good write up and good lookin' pizza. Here's a link to the Baking Steel site. Amazon has some knock offs, but I like to support the inventor.

Bake the perfect homemade pizza with a Baking Steel product: a pizza stone made of ultra-conductive steel, our Baking Steel Griddles and pizza making accessories for home.

There are a number of options, so I didn't link to a specific item. Also, their English Muffin recipe is both very easy and very good. They are cooked on a griddle - which you have.
    As an aside, if you add vital wheat gluten to your whole wheat, it should give a better rise and a lighter structure. But if gluten is a problem for your son, I wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by RonB; January 21, 2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info on both the steel and the gluten. He tolerates gluten okay - it's really processed foods, toxins, and so forth that mess him up. If I try the gluten and he doesn't tolerate, it will be pretty obvious in his demeanor and behavior, so I won't have to guess at it.

Nice job!!!

Comment

I love the write up and the photos. I was on a kick for awhile with my cabinet and pizzas. I was doing the EXACT same things. Bricks, lodge pans, charcoal underneath, wood burning next to it etc. It was a lot of fun but I was possessed with creating the perfect pizza fire. If I remember correctly, someone posted their pastrami recipe and then more pastrami recipes and I became obsessed with that.

I never made my own dough. What I found was that my Vision kamado grill actually baked better but I was striving for a little less BBQ taste and more of a wood fired taste. I am having a lot of fun with your trials and when you have exactly what you are striving for, know I will be copying your method. Thanks for the write up and the photos.

Comment

Looks like tons of fun.

"Hey honey give Dominos a call I need me a pizza"

Comment

Thanks for another great report on your pizza pursuits on the LSG! I'm looking forward to giving it a try when I get mine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here