Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal "S" Basket for LSG 20 x 42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal "S" Basket for LSG 20 x 42?

I have a LSG 20 x 42 on the way.

Looking for insights on whether or not to buy the Charcoal "S" Basket with it?

I think I would buy it if you are planning on doing cooks with lump or briquettes. I don't have a LSG (yet) but I have looked at them a lot and I would personally add it.

It will be nice to be able to do high capacity cooking while being pretty much hands off when using the LSG

What other options did you get? .

Make sure to post some pictures of that smoker when you get it. I wanna see that baby in action.

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      I ordered it with wheel upgrade, drain valve, probe port, fan port, handle, main chamber grill grate/pan, FireBoard fan adapter, and upgraded fire box grate. I may drop the probe port and add my own. I have seen evidence that the 3/8" pipe nipple is a bit too small for curved probes.

I am planning long cooks with lump and wood using a controller. I am a big fan of FireBoard and have one I use on a BGE and a PK360. I also have one that is built in my Yoder pellet grill.

I have it, and I definitely stand by that decision. I don't use it frequently, but when I need it, it's a lifesaver. Most of the time, hanging out and feeding the stick burner is fine (and even a great part of the BBQ experience), but sometimes other responsibilities call. Being able to load up that basket and let things go on autopilot is great.

Edit:
    If I had it to do over again, I would not get the ash pan or the gas assist. I would definitely keep the internal grill pan - I use it a lot.
    Last edited by radshop; December 9, 2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I decided against the ash pan and the gas assist. I may well add the charcoal basket.

Have you had luck with the fire not jumping the baffles? The video evidence I found (albeit very little) looked as if the baffles really do not feed it around the S but the fire tends to short circuit the path.

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, Alphonse that's a good question. The baffles provide some direction to the fire but they're not foolproof (fireproof?) and the fire can jump. Air control is still the most important thing for a long, slow burn. If you had a similar basket without baffles it might be just as good.

Personally I did not get the "S" basket. But it was not available when I got my 24x36. I got a charcoal basket from Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	777459 They offered a snake type of baffle which I did get. But haven’t used it in 2+ years now.
    That being said. I use the basket I got from them for virtually every cook I do. It keeps the splits in a smaller area. Thus a smaller hotter fire.
    They will custom make a basket based on your needs as well.
    If you have any questions about them PM me. I can give you more details about them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here