Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lone Star Grillz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone Star Grillz

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a LSG 24x48 offset. My dilemma is that I'd like to upgrade the firebox to 1/2", but I'll also be paying $595 for the shipping. Living in Northern California I don't have any issues with extreme cold temps so I should be fine sticking with the 1/4" box...right? Any advice is welcome!

I don't see the 1/2" doing much more since it is still going to transmit that heat. Another manufacture tested metal thicknesses and realized better to insulate it or just stick with 1/4".

Comment

Similar boat here, except I'm getting a Gator Pit in July, and I'm forgoing the upgrade of the firebox to 1/2". From all of my research, I think we should be fine with 1/4".

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are awesome pits. Plus, the owner does his videos with his side arm on.......you know he means business. LOL.

When I order my LSG, I am going to go with the insulated box. I do live in a cold climate, so that is part of the reason. However, it will be nice to get more efficiency. Plus, if I am going to buy this Pit, I want all the bells and whistles.

Waste of Money? Not to me, its what I want and that is what makes custom things like this fun. So I say, if you want it, GET IT! This Pit will last you your whole life, get it how you want it, brotha!

Congrats on the order!

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        That was my basic justification for going for the 48" vs the 36"...I likely will only cook to its capacity maybe once or twice a year. But I want it and it'll be sooo worth having the extra space when I need it.

I have drooled over their pits for some time. One day I'll pull the trigger. Once you get it, we want pictures of your rig and cooks on it.

Comment

My firebox is 1/4" and I am here to tell you that you don't NEED 1/2", even in cold climates FWIW. Now, whether someone wants it is a different story. Me, even in MI, no way I'd pay the upcharge for 1/2".

Comment

Agree with Huskee, LSG does the insulated firebox for guys in colder climates if that's something they feel they need. No one in warmer climates needs to go the added expense. Save the money for some good meat to cook in that puppy, and boy am I jealous. I've been to their facility and have drooled over several rigs they make for over a year now. Maybe someday

Comment

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            does NJ qualify as colder?? just wondering. Man I want one of these things

Well that's good peace of mind for sure. I always told myself once I move somewhere I have some land (only 2.5 acres) I would get an EOS since I'll have the room. The time has come! Well somewhat, I still have a little bit to go on my savings goal thermometer.

Troutman, your write-up on your visit to the facility weighed heavily in my research, so thank you!

Spinaker, when are you going to pull the trigger yourself? I've seen you talk about the LSG for quite a while!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones Who needs a trailer hitch if you have a Kubota M7040 with a loader? ;-)

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            An excellent point, Brother...

Reckon it sounds to me like he's gonna be movin farther than I would wanna drive a loader with a huge honkin LSG, so th hitch sounded like an attractive feature....

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones That's where the 30' gooseneck comes into the picture!

Slightly off topic: Anyone that has owned one of these for any length of time have any rust issues? I live close enough to the ocean that salt water does its number on anything metal outside.

Comment

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb thanks for the shoutout! JakeT Not sure what part of No. CA you're in but I'm in the Bay Area, around 25 miles east of Oakland if you'd like to see one in person.

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            ifican I've owned my LSG for 1 year now & I haven't experienced any rust issues. However, I'm not that close to salt water... I live around 25 miles from the bay/ocean.

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            kenrobin, I live in Vacaville. Office is based in Vallejo and work all up and down the bay. I may take you up on that one of these days!

I have an LSG 24x36 offset. You don’t need the 1/2” fire box where you live. I have no problems at all running my pit @ 225-275 in sub freezing temps. She just uses more fuel and a bit more tending.
          JakeT Dude you are gonna love that beast!!!!!
          And yeah you only want to move it once. The 48” probably tips 1k lbs. Also if you don’t have a shed you’ll have enough wood to make one after unpacking your rig. 😁
          ifican Mine is now 3yrs old. The only rusting I’ve encountered is on top of the fire box where the lid sits. Very minimal. I just wire brushed off the heavier stuff and repainted it with the spray paint I got from LSG. Only had to do this once so far.

Comment

I’ll add my name to drool list here! What I wouldn’t do for one of these! I just don’t know where I would keep it....I mean, I know where but I don’t think that would be the best place for it. And I’m in my forever home, so not sure an LSG is in the future. If I put up a brick wall around my lot perhaps but....

i hope you enjoy it and post many write ups onnit! I’ve enjoyed following kenrobin and his video blog of his LSG and the delivery guy almost dropping it off the tailgate! 😳 Steve B has also been helpful answering some of my questions I’ve asked him about them.

Have fun!

Comment

I had a COS awhile back and I didn't know how to use it so once it rusted out I scrapped it. Now I am here, and I could learn to use one, and I keep reading stuff like this, and MCS kicks in, and then I picture my wife loading all of my stuff that would fit in this thing and saying MCS be damned...

Comment

Spinaker You don't need to wait. I just had to move because my landlord sold the house I was in. I hired a great crew of Russian movers to move everything. When I showed them the LSG, the guy said, "Has wheels. No problem. We take care for you." One of the others asked, "You smoke meat yourself?" I said, "Yeah, don't you?" He smiled and said, "Not yet."

Comment

I did it! I placed my order today! 24x48 with single counterweighted door and a few other bells and whistles! I decided to forego the propane assist as an unnecessary luxury (plus I like building fires and I have a propane weed burner if needed) 12 weeks lead time, but we'll see if that changes at all!

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats man. You are gonna love that bad boy. 👊👊💪💪

Nice choice! Definitely put some pics up when it comes in!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here