Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Observations From An Owner Of A New LSG Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Observations From An Owner Of A New LSG Offset

I'm still getting to know my new LSG offset and understand the process for getting a good bed of coals started. The biggest lesson learned is that I need to exercise more patience with everything and let the smoker do what it does naturally.

This video has some of my early observations.

Nice video, kenrobin . I had to crank up the volume on my speakers higher than normal, but after I did that, I could hear you just fine.

Let us know how that pork loin turns out. That sure is a nice-looking smoker.

Kathryn

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback Kathryn. I'll try to pay more attention to the volume in the next one.

Great video kenrobin I had to turn the speakers up as well but no problem. And yes stick burning is about patience from fire building and management to cooking on one in general. Stick burning requires your involvement. You have to be interactive with it which is why it's not for everybody. The more experienced you become the less interactive you have to be but it will always require more of your attention than any other method of smoking.
    Which is why it's also more rewarding imo.
    That LSG should run pretty smooth from the get go I would imagine. Once mine is up and running at temp and all the steel is holding heat it can hold temp for hours with a small softball size bed of coals in the fire box. You have to add wood just to keep a fire going not to hold temp so you have to have some smaller splits for this purpose.

Lots of little nuances to learn and you will have fun learning them. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

Keep ‘em coming Kenyatta!

Comment

Great looking smoker.

Comment

Man I need to go see Chris and drool over one of those bad boys. Look forward to your first cook K, hang in there, you’ll get the hang of it.

Comment

As a guy who also dabbles with YouTube content creation - I don't know if your camera can accept an external mic input, but if it can - I highly recommend you get either a lavalier mic, or a shotgun mic. It will drastically increase the quality of your audio (especially if you get a powered mic, rather than one that is drawing power from the camera). Here's what I have and they both work really well.

Shotgun Mic: https://www.amazon.com/TAKSTAR-SGC-5...ds=shotgun+mic

Lavalier: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...a+lavalier+mic

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I cannot recommend this enough. I went through several high end mic's before settling on a lavalier mic from Rode. Top notch, and very insensitive to wind. Brand is less important, but get a lavalier mic. Makes a huge difference.

• phrogpilot73
              phrogpilot73 commented
              Editing a comment
              Rhode is a good brand, but I'm a Audio Technica fan boy - hence the link is to a AT lavalier. Found them while lusting after Bose NC headphones. Very happy with them.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, there are plenty good brands out there. Rhode is just one. I'm sure the Audio Technica is just as good, if not better.

Originally posted by Frozen Smoke View Post
            Great video kenrobin I had to turn the speakers up as well but no problem. And yes stick burning is about patience from fire building and management to cooking on one in general. Stick burning requires your involvement. You have to be interactive with it which is why it's not for everybody. The more experienced you become the less interactive you have to be but it will always require more of your attention than any other method of smoking.
            Which is why it's also more rewarding imo.
            That LSG should run pretty smooth from the get go I would imagine. Once mine is up and running at temp and all the steel is holding heat it can hold temp for hours with a small softball size bed of coals in the fire box. You have to add wood just to keep a fire going not to hold temp so you have to have some smaller splits for this purpose.

Lots of little nuances to learn and you will have fun learning them. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks Frozen Smoke, I quickly realized that my offset will require a great deal of interaction & I'm OK with that. I'm still working on getting my setup fully together (my wife found what appears to be a good & affordable local resource for wood) and I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Kindling Cracker, I just have to decide what size would work best for my needs. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ndling-cracker

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
              Frozen Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Get the bigger one. As with most things bigger is better!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with Frozen Smoke !

• kenrobin
              kenrobin commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks guys!

Thanks for sharing your input on this smoker. I am still looking at the LSG for my first offset. I really like the new body style on the smoker, not sure if I like it more than the traditional body style, but I think it will grow on me. Just as the legs.

Just remember to have patience and keep smoking!

Keep the smoke rollin'

Comment

Very nicely done, amigo! I jus wanted to thank ya again fer takin us all along with ya, on your stickburner journey!
              Hope yer pork tenderloin comes out super; might as well throw a few other things on there, while yer at it!
              Wishin yerself an yer family a safe an happy Independence Day!

Comment

• kenrobin
                kenrobin commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I need to edit my pork loin video. Yesterday, I took the plunge and smoked ribs & chicken thighs and I used the griddle to cook some Italian sausages. I love the versatility that the griddle adds to this pit!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here