Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And so it begins, seasoning my 20x42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so it begins, seasoning my 20x42

I got a lot to learn, this is my 1st stick burner. I probably didn't add small splits often enough and trying to keep the pit @ 225 didn't help the coals. I lost my bed of coals, then the fire was smokey. That didn't matter for seasoning, but I still wanted thin blue smoke. I do have and used the fire management basket. Tomorrow is the 1st cook, beef AND pork ribs.
    Did I mention the high today was about 15°
    Attached Files

With an offset don't get too hung up on a specific temp. Many of them dudes prefer 250-275 and it is a much more enjoyable cook.

Comment

• Mike-Sid
      Mike-Sid commented
      Editing a comment
      Right. I was hung up on 225° today because that what LSG advises to season the smoker, But tomorrow I'll let it run where it settles in at between 250-275.
      Thanks for the tip!

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike-Sid gotcha!! I'm about 3 hrs from Lone Star

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll second this. Mine is hard to hold at 225, but works well if I let it run between 250 and 275.

About a 4lb rack of chuck short ribs, and 4 racks of baby backs, on the smaller side. I also just threw on 2 links of my goose Bratwurst.
    I'm starting to get the hang of it. Seems like it settles in at 275. My 1st cook, and started out at 3° outside, so who knows. I'm having fun, and getting hungry
    Attached Files

Comment

This advice is spot on. I failed miserably at trying to keep the temp at 225 during the seasoning. It’s especially hard when it’s your first experience with a stick burner. The important thing is that you got your feet wet.

Have fun, enjoy the learning process & don’t get caught up chasing temperatures. I’m ok if mine is anywhere between 225 - 275. Remember, the 20x42 cooks hotter on the top grate than the bottom. You can use that to your advantage.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      With an offset don't get too hung up on a specific temp. Many of them dudes prefer 250-275 and it is a much more enjoyable cook.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same CaptainMike Use the teltru’s for general reference but mostly rely on my FB to let me know when to make adjustments and add more fuel.

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. I rely mostly on my Fireboard for a more accurate reading. I usually wait until the temp on the FB drops below 225 before adding another split. Then I let the fire do what it wants as long as the temp is between 225-275. I use the Tel-Tru for quick glances.... I can usually tell whether my fire is ok based on where the Tel-Tru is.

• Mike-Sid
        Mike-Sid commented
        Editing a comment
        kenrobin I'm going to put a few temp probes on the grates to see what the temps are on various spots on the grates vs what the Tel-Tru is saying. I'm still learning my grill. Sunday should be a smoking day! I have a few things lined up to smoke, I will take more pictures this time.
        Last edited by Mike-Sid; January 21, 2022, 03:01 PM.

This has been fun to follow and I know how much fun you're having! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

Comment

• Mike-Sid
        Mike-Sid commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Sir, I'm having fun

kenrobin So during today's cook I noticed liquid dripping from around the ball valve. I put a bucket underneath it (thankfully) and turned it a bit to tighten it up, then opened it up. Holy cow, about a half gallon or more of liquid came out. Some of it was the excess Pam spray, but was the rest just moisture from condensation? After that the "exhaust " was much lighter. I'm guessing I was getting a lot of steam coming out the stack because it stopped after that. What do you guys think happened? Normal?
      it is cold here in CT. Starting out at 3° this morning, now a balmy 25°.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I advise keeping that ball valve open during cooks, with a metal drip bucket on the ground underneath. You want to avoid grease and moisture accumulation in the body of the cooker during your cooks.

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm guessing it was condensation. I put water at the bottom of the chamber for just about everything except for poultry. The water acts as a heat sink & it helps to regulate the temperature as well as adding humidity. I agree with putting a metal drip bucket under the ball valve. I found that Traeger's grease bucket fits perfectly.

kenrobin and CaptainMike are correct in saying don’t get to crazy about holding steady temps. They are going to go up and down and change left to right during your cooks.
      Yes it is a learning curve. But I’m glad you’re enjoying it. You couldn’t have picked a better day to figure this out.
      What you are definitely learning is just how awesome this cooker is.
      Just wait until the weather gets better. You’ll be an expert in no time.

As far as the liquid that drained. I’m not sure. I always put about 2 gallons of hot water in the cooking chamber when doing longer cooks. But I’m thinking it definitely has to do with it being new and still breaking in. Plus the outside temps.

Where abouts are you in CT? You’re probably pretty close to me. Rockland County NY. 15 minutes over the TZ Bridge
      Last edited by Steve B; January 16, 2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Steve B I'm in New Haven county CT, sound like you are a little more than an hour away, unless it's on a Friday @ rush hour, then it's a 2 day drive🤣

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe when the world gets back to some sort of normalcy we can hook up.
          Maybe even do a Northeast meat up. Like those southerners have been doing. 😁

I always get a lot of condensation when I first fire up my 20x42 when it is cold. As soon as it heats up it will stop. Never found it to be a problem. Just open the ball valve for a second to drain it.

Comment

• Mike-Sid
          Mike-Sid commented
          Editing a comment
          Sdell interesting. I was just surprised, I didn't expect anything to come out since I didn't put anything in.
          Thanks, good to know. I've got a lot to learn.

That's a nice looking cooker. I would love to knock on the steel, I bet it sounds much more satisfying than my OKJ highland lol.

Comment

Congrats....I have the LSG 20x36 offset and really enjoy cooking with it.

In addition to all the temp comments I have learned to use smaller splits 7-9" long and I keep a couple on the side of the fire management basket to warm up. Look forward to seeing your posts and what you have learned with this awesome cooker.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Great point. I do the same. Even keep some on top of the firebox.

• Mike-Sid
            Mike-Sid commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point, all my logs were too long and I was cutting them down with a battery powered chainsaw. I ordered one of these, seems a lot safer and easier
            BLACK+DECKER Lopper Chain Saw, 4.5-Amp (LP1000) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000BANM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

• Sdell
            Sdell commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here. Small splits/chunks preheated in firebox works for me. I also preheat on the griddle to avoid scratching the paint on the top of the firebox. I usually run it with the damper wide open for a clean fire and manage temps with the quantity of wood. Mine seems to like to run 250-275. At 225 it is hard for me to keep a clean fire with a decent coal bed.

Beautiful pit! Enjoy the whole process of learning. Looking forward to more pictures!

Paul

Comment

I have to work on taking pictures of the food cooking, and the final product.
            but, 1 4 bone rack of chuck short ribs, and 4 racks of BB ribs. I smoked a couple links of my goose Bratwurst with swiss cheese. Came out good, but I still have a lot to learn. I'll try again Sunday, smaller splits, and better bed of coals.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Mike-Sid; January 18, 2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Next cook see how many 12 pound briskets you can fit. Not that I'm curious or anything.

• Mike-Sid
              Mike-Sid commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard 😯 we may never know. I've never smoked a brisket yet, but it is on my short list. I'd guess more than 3 and less than 25

Ordered an lsg 24”x36” Oct 19th,and got the call Thursday, today is Saturday. Is seasoning in cold temps,and holding her down to 225° a Challenge in 20 to 30° weather? I’m in Indiana and should be arriving next week sometime.

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              No. You’ll be fine. Slightly bigger fire? But probably indiscriminate. You’ll be fine!!

• Mike-Sid
              Mike-Sid commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be easier to hold the temps down in the cold. I seasoned mine in the teens to 20. If it starts to get too hot, open the lid for a bit.
              Congratulations! Have fun. Tomorrow is smoking day for me, high in the low 20's. I'm sick of winter already.

This for the reply,I’m green hopefully my wood won’t be.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here