Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New JAMBO!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New JAMBO!!!

Well this post has been a long time coming. I apologize for the length of the post, but there is a lot to tell.

Back in June I finally had saved up enough to place the order for a Jambo Backyard offset smoker – 24” diameter x 48” long cook chamber, insulated fire box, 500 pounds. As many of you know, it is one very nice smoker from one of the most respected brands. I will admit thinking about their larger porch model, but the Backyard is really big already and actually fits perfectly in our back yard.

Okay, back to the story. When I ordered it, Jamie Geer was still in the process of fabricating the set of Backyards, so it would be shipped in mid-July. My wife had been talking for a long time about redoing our very small back yard, tearing up the weeds and putting in a brick patio instead. Looking online, I estimated it would take a long weekend, maybe two weekends, of work assuming I got help. Well, I did get help, we started in late June to get ready for the smoker, and finished in… late August I think. It took a full two months of working most weekends. Ugh. However, it turned out very nicely if I do say so myself. We got a bunch of outdoor furniture and spent the remainder of the nice weather eating outside, and it is very pleasant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170729_144254.jpg Views:	1 Size:	482.4 KB ID:	413023

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170812_165741.jpg Views:	1 Size:	450.5 KB ID:	413024

The smoker did arrive in July, and it is a beast. When it came though, after taking the packaging off my wife noticed a bunch of scratches and paint scuffs all around the smoker. I tried to ignore them, not wanting my enthusiasm to be dampened and wanting to start cooking on it right away. She convinced me though that since we paid so much for shipping, we got insurance, and we will pass this on to my great grandkids, we should follow up with insurance and maybe get it repainted. So it lived a sad life in our garage while I filed a claim with the shipper and the organizer, talked to a claims representative at UPS who said they would have an answer for me by Labor Day, and then they proceeded to not answer the phone or return my call until I got denied two months later. Thankfully, right after that decision, the organizer’s insurance got back to me that they would write me a check. I sanded and painted it that weekend, which was two weeks ago. Below are pictures of it being offloaded and the worst of the scratches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170731_122747.jpg Views:	1 Size:	437.9 KB ID:	413025

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170801_191606.jpg Views:	1 Size:	226.3 KB ID:	413020

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170801_191707.jpg Views:	1 Size:	334.3 KB ID:	413021

Last week the task was hauling it into the back yard and getting it set up in its new home. Even though it is 500 pounds, I was able to do almost all of the moving myself. It got stuck for a few days on some mulch, and took on some rain water. I have to figure out how to get a little rust out from the inside of the barrel. As you can see from the pictures below, it fits nicely in its little outpost. I had to take off one end of the canopy we got to cover it so that I can open the fire box door, and I had to wedge in multiple strips of plywood under the legs to level it out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171117_230503.jpg Views:	1 Size:	350.1 KB ID:	413026

So finally, as of this past weekend, I have a Jambo! My first cook after burning it out was ribs with Huskee’s rib rub (aka sugar ribs as my wife calls them). I read a ton about stick burning and was very proud to have thin blue smoke for the duration! I have already learned a lot, such as what temperature I need to add wood at, my chimney doesn’t fit nicely in the firebox so no more charcoal to start it, how much wood it takes (more than I thought), and the exhaust stack is actually fully closed when the handle points straight up, not fully open. That last one led to an hour of frustration pre-cook, but it’s all good. The ribs turned out awesome, and I’m really looking forward to having this compliment my PBC and kettle+SnS for when I have the time. This Friday – multiple pork shoulders for us and the neighbors!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171117_230444.jpg Views:	1 Size:	271.5 KB ID:	413022

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171119_135602.jpg Views:	1 Size:	590.5 KB ID:	413029

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171119_181156.jpg Views:	1 Size:	587.1 KB ID:	413028

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171119_181359.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	413030

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171119_182039.jpg Views:	1 Size:	362.1 KB ID:	413027
    Last edited by PBCDad; November 20, 2017, 10:24 AM.

Great looking smoker, patio & ribs!!

Comment

Amazing post PBCDad ! Congratulations on the Jambo--it looks like your first cook was a big success! I looked at this same model but Jamie wasn't making any when I was in the market for an offset. Your patio project has inspired me to cut out a place in my backyard for my offset. Concrete pad with a roof of some sort...

Comment

Congratulations! Good looking pit and backyard!

Comment

Nice looking setup! You are inspiring me to use more real wood in my much smaller offset smoker...

Comment

Congratulations. And I hope you have learned your lesson. Construction projects (whether done by yourself or a 'professional') always take longer and cost more than originally estimated! It looks fantastic.

Comment

• PBCDad
              PBCDad commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I should have known, I'm a structural engineer. I didn't think it would take 4x the initial estimate though!

Beautiful!

Comment

Awesomeness galore right there!!

Comment

What a great story, and what a great smoker! Congrats on a nice patio and one helluva smoker! Can't wait to see more cooks from it. #stickburner4life

Comment

Everything looks great! Congrats and enjoy you new space and cooker.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For those of us with a BSA history "JAMBO" is associated with a great time with people we know and some we don't.
                    Good times for all!

Change your name to jambodad!

Comment

• PBCDad
                    PBCDad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I may just have to, the ribs were pretty amazing. Here's hoping I can use it enough to justify a name change

i hope i can get an upgrade like this some day! looks awesome. congrats!

Comment

What a great story, I’m jealous!

Love the look on your (I’m assuming) wife’s face while they were unloading it. Priceless!!

Comment

• PBCDad
                      PBCDad commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha, yeah I think she was worried about him dropping it off the tail gate. But also probably some shock at just how big it was She's been very supportive of it though, and for someone who keeps talking about going vegetarian, she sure does like what I cook. She's said that's the main reason she still eats meat

Congrats as well. I recently bought a Stumps Baby XL. Thought the "crating price" was high, but when it arrived I saw it was worth every penny. Bolted to a pallet then totally exclosed in plywood to protect the smoker. Jamie makes a great product, sad to see it not protected from the maulers.

Comment

Great work! Wonderful ribs!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here