Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Horizon Smokers owners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Horizon Smokers owners out there?

Good morning.! So after a lot of research and saving, I'm planning my trip to Perry, OK to pick up my new 16" Backyard Offset smoker in the next couple weeks. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Any thing you have to offer for a first time offset smoker owner? ALSO, I live in central Illinois and seem to be having a difficult time finding a bulk bbq quality wood supplier. I have found a few in and around the central KS and up to KC. Any suggestions for suppliers would also be awesome.!

Have you tried craig's list? You may find what you want there, or find someone who is willing to work with you.

Comment

• emtphillips
      emtphillips commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB, Great Idea.!

Make sure you get a convection plate , charcoal basket , charcoal grate for main cook area . they are nice options to get .
    I have these three option and i am happy that i bought them .

Comment

• emtphillips
      emtphillips commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks BRic.! I did get all those things.! I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning.!

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome , you will love those option , I was like you , pretty excited . Make sure you get
      well seasoned wood . My wood I get are 15 '' splits , I saw them in half for large chunks. I Fill a large chimney starter full of charcoal to get started , when the coals are ready , I dump the in the firebox and spread them out and add chunks of wood to get a good hot coal base .

Will make a fun road trip to pick your rig . Take pictures and post so we can live vicariously through your adventures.

Comment

• emtphillips
      emtphillips commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Idea..!

That's great news, looking forward to seeing it in action!

A word on lighting the fire: Many people use charcoal or briquettes to start it. While it works, I've never understood why I should use more than one fuel. I just light some twigs and kindling with a match (I have fire starter matches, they are a little thicker). Then add some splits, and then thicker splits. All wood, all the way through. Very easy.

As for accessories: the convection plate is a must. But I see you already thought of that.

When you get it home, do a first dry run to see how it behaves. get a packet of wheat crackers or a loaf of cheap toast. Place the crackers/toast all over the grates. Now run it for an hour at your desired smoke temp. This will teach you:

- basic fire management techniques - when and how often do you need to add splits to maintain temp?
    - does it have hot spots? Most smokers have, the trick is knowing where they are.
    - move the convection plate around to see how temps in the food chamber changes.

The last advice about dry runs with crackers/toast is invaluable, you get to learn a lot about your smoker with zero risk.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Cause: on accounta I got lotsa (tons, literally) smokin wood, but no twigs...

So, I use charcoal briquettes, to start...

Mebbe it's heresy, I dunno/care; but, at least, it ain't lighter fluid!!!!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      No heresy, Mr. Bones, all good!

• emtphillips
      emtphillips commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik i've never heard of the crackers trick. I will absolutely be doing that.

Everything you need to know about outdoor cooking is right here at AmazingRibs.com
    Here's a list of wood suppliers - https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...cue-wood-chips

Comment

emtphillips check Craigslist for your wood or ask around for anyone willing to let you come cut up some dead fall they want moved out. You should have plenty of wood around that area. If not just search Craigslist down south if you. If your willing to drive a couple hours south you can get pretty much all the wood you can haul.

Comment

My guess is, yer gonna LOVE yer new Horizon, same same as I LOVES mine!

Comment

I'll be glued to your experience with the Horizon cooker. my primary interest in them is I can get one 20 mins away at Bass Pro....

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            We have a Bass Pro that's about an hour away.

I wish I had experience with this cooker. I saw one at Bass Pro last year, it was a 16" and MAN was that lid heavy. Quarter-inch thick steel ain't no joke.

Comment

Sorry to leave a few of you wondering for a few weeks.! We traveled to Perry, OK to pick up our customized smoker from Horizon Smokers. I can't say enough about this smoker. It is perfect for a backyard family smoker. Easy to learn the temp control. I did find while learning to maintain heat it burns smaller chucks better than 8" logs. I have cooked pork ribs and shoulders on it several times now. If you live close to Bass Pro go check them out. BUT if you want to purchase on, order it from the factory. The cost savings allows you to add accessories. Shipping is available, but my wife and I made a road trip out of it. We live in Central Illinois and traveled US Route 66 along the way and had a blast.!!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice clean set up you have. Looking forward to you sharing future cooks with us here.

It looks awesome. Congrats!

Comment

I belong to the local Bass Masters group and we meet monthly at Bass Pro. Talk about being hard to control the MCS. I am always over in the outdoor grilling section looking over all the items there. That is definitely a nice cooker you have there.

Comment

Congrats on the very nice lookin' cooker.

Comment

Good looking offset. I think you're going to enjoy yourself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here