Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking Lids on Horizon Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Lids on Horizon Smoker

I'm new to the Pit and have a burning question. (pun intended) I recently bought a Horizon Marshall offset and was excited to finally receive it. I did alot of research and decided on this one because of the great reviews on the craftsmanship and quality. I read that the lids on the fire box and cooking chamber were tight and would make smoke and heat management better. I was rather disappointed to see large gaps at the upper and lower edges of both lids. Upon firing it up for the seasoning I was even more disappointed to see how much smoke was escaping from areas where I didn't think it should. It leaked just as much as the COS Oklahoma Joe that I bought at Walmart for a fifth of the price. My question is, is this normal? Or should I contact the company for some sort of explanation or recourse? I like the smoker but thought by spending the big money I'd get something better than this. Any advice?

Welcome to the Pit! I’m not a stick-burner guy, but just based on what you wrote, I’d give the company a chance to make it right. Call them!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

For what you just spent I’m guessing they will answer the phone and try to help you make it right. Always call the manufacture first and give them the chance to explain and help before going public with the negatives.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit EJ Burnz! We're happy to have you, and thank you for the support.

No, "large gaps" are not normal. But what do you mean by large gaps exactly? Does it look like an obvious manufacturing defect, or are we talking a gap that you could slide a credit card through? Some gaps are normal, rarely do two steel edges seal up perfectly and block all smoke. Some smoke coming though the lid is normal and will not hurt anything. This can easily be remedied with gaskets if it bothers you, but if it's small I would ignore it. If it's obnoxiously large to the point it looks like a defect, then yes you really should get on the horn with Horizon, maybe they'll ask for pics. I wish you an easy solution, and please let us know what happens!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe, if you’re a paying member. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) me with your email change request, or via email at [email protected].
        2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members, (whether Free Trial or subscribing), or those with a USA delivery address. We’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

As for you problem, by all means contact the company. I use a KBQ so I'm not familiar with yours and what would be normal, but they should want you to be happy.

Comment

Welcome @EJ Burnz

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I agree - call them.

Comment

Welcome From Clay, Ny. Hope yo7 get it worked out.

Comment

First off, welcome here from the Great Republic of Texas ....

Second, agree with Huskee , the gaps should not be there. Question the manufacturer. If indeed they are small gaps and can be sealed, get yourself some of the self-stick Nomex tape and seal them up. There is a large variety of types and styles on Amazon. I've done most all my smokers with it and it works well and lasts a long time. Good luck !!!

Sealing Gaskets on Amazon

Comment

Thanks to all who responded to me. I feel very welcomed. I will continue to try reaching out to Horizon on the issue. I've made a couple of attempts but haven't talked to anyone yet. It is the Holiday Season and so they may be taking a much needed break. I don't blame them. Regardless, Im going to use the smoker tomorrow for my first attempt at bacon. Been looking forward to it for a long time. Thanks Troutman for the link to sealing gaskets. And Huskee, I started my homework but didn't finish it. It sounds like there are good benefits to getting it done. Thanks for tip.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here