Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solicitin' Feedback: 16" Horizon Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitin' Feedback: 16" Horizon Smokers

I would appreciate any input from owners/operators of these cookers...
    I'm lookin' at a couple o' (Seemingly) attractive deals, here.
    Many Thanks, as always...
    They're smallish, fer my needs/wants, but Dang hard to pa$$ up a Great Bargain...
    Been more than Patient, but MCS can be mighty powerful...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 20, 2017, 05:21 PM.

Darn. You ain't even got your newest little Weber acclimated to his new environment yet. I feel sorry for the little fella. But as you said MCS is mighty.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      These cookers been tantalizin' me for well in excess of 30 days...
      Was kinda hopin' they'd go away, but hard to resist!

Wish I could help, but I know nothing about them! But you've got MCS powerful bad don't you?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      MCS?? ME?? Hardly thank so!!!
      Nah, Kilo Mike Hotel Fi-yiv;
      HAIL, I kin quit, anytime, like...;p
      Hard to pass up a Great Deal on 1/4" smokers that cost 2-3X my Daily Driver, that's all...

No experience with the little fellers, but I've read many folks say the smaller they are the harder the temps are to control, and vice versa. If you're dedicated to the art of stick burning and tending, I suppose that won't present an issue for you.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, @Huskee!!
      New-wise, Yoder is MUCH closer to me....
      BUT, hard to beat 50%-66% offa retail...
      Not sweatin' fire management, as ya' said;
      I kin make TBS outta any cooker...

Don't have the Horizon, but got my little Texas Original pit. Dang well built, and I swear there is a rooze somewhere, because they are both virtually identical between the Texas and the Horizon. Including the un-welded firebox on the inside that I fixed on mine. I went small knowing it is a bit of a bear to run compared to larger offsets but still, I have had a ball with mine over the years. I welded the firebox completely finally, put some lava lock gaskets on, and the dang thing just runs now. Never knew why the chimney stack is so high but I live with it. You can add an elbow to drop it down to the grate level.

As Huskee said, smaller is harder. I have always said that it is like trying to maintain a 10 gallon salt water aquarium, vs a 100 gallon salt water aquarium. Very small changes mean a LOT to the fish in the 10 gallon vs the 100 gallon aquarium. Things work a lot faster in all directions.

Running VERY small very hot fires is a bit hard in the Texas. But still, I bought it knowing all that. And have learned to adjust.

It is really just about impossible to burn logs only, (funny for a stick burner, you would have to use twigs!) so I have adapted a good charcoal basket, also from Lava Lock, and burn coals mostly with Fruita-Wood chunks these days for smoke and have learned that I can keep a dang dang nice day going using this method without much fuss at all.

I have always envisioned a beautiful large offset, LSG or whatnot. But maybe one day. It's just me and the Moonbeam here in these parts so I kept it small.

I would have no regrets knowing that it is what it is. In some respects, it's pretty fun having to stay on top of it and still make some killer grub!

Comment

lonnie mac mac , I appreciate, as always, yer valuable, an' informed perspectives, Brotha!
      Many thanks fer takin' th' time to reply to my query...
      My OK Joe's Highland is an 18" pit... cain't imagine it'd be unconquerable, to learn a 16"...
      Th' metal on both these Horizon's is ~2-3X thicker, which, in my eyes, only means longer to heat up, slower to cool, weighs a shiite-ton more, no doubt.
      Better, longer-lived, as well....
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 20, 2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree brotha! Mine weighs dang near 300 pounds! Had to hire some hood kids to put the thing up on my deck. I LOVE it. If you go for it, I think you will love it. Harder is not always bad. We got nothing but time man!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        lonnie mac
        Tried to privately show ya' my dilemna, via PM. I see ya' have that option turned off, more power...
        Time will tell... If/then, I'll go public...
        Thanks fer th' counselin', brotha!
        Which Texas Original cooker have ya' got??
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 20, 2017, 08:50 PM.

Mr. Bones WOW! I didn't even know how to check options! Let me look at that. I am always public I hope! I'll figure that out. I have an old Luling model. Dang good pit. Small and proud. I think now they only make larger Luling's. I am in the pit capital I think. Got Lone Star Grills just up the road, Gator pit in the hood down the road, and seems like there are so many pit makers around here I don't know who is copying who.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Brotha, standing by...
        You Rock, as per Always, Amigo!!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here