Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horizon Smoker (information)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizon Smoker (information)

I'm looking to build a 24" horizon smoker. It will be a Ranger with a vertical square smoke box on the side. Sliding convection plate and 4 wheels. Spoke with the owner (great guy) he builds on average 50 smokers a week. Im having a hard time finding alot of people that own one. The 4 or 5 owners I've found give it excellent marks. Anyone here know anything about Horizon Smokers?

I'm looking for a smoker that will offer many years of service and good food. Eventually even pass down with the proper care.

Welcome to The Pit Corepin

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) "Huskee" with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
    2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!
    Hope to hear & see more from you!

And finally, great choice on a smoker, especially a 24" model!!

Comment

A hearty welcome from northern Illinois.

Comment

Welcome! Nice pit! Horizon and Yoder are kissing cousins, with ties to each other from way back in the day. A member edible hen has the Yoder version of this, the Durango. Let's see if he gets this and can help.

Comment

I'm impressed with the "50 a week" thing. How many guys does he have working for him?

Comment

Welcome Corepin

Comment

Welcome Corepin. That's a nice rig you're looking at. I've had the yoder version for almost 18 months. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Rat 88 don't know how many guys he has working. He is the creator of the Oklahoma Joe's smoker before a hostile take over. Is not my concerns however.

Comment

Originally posted by Corepin View Post
                  Rat 88 don't know how many guys he has working.
                  I was quite sure as I was reading your comment it was going to say 50/month. 50/week is quite impressive! With that kind of production I'd think we'd see plenty more Horizon owners out there.

Comment

edible hen thanks for the response. I have lots of questions. I smoke turkey after a good brine for thanksgiving. Love grilling steaks and chickens. My ribs and Butts need work. Did ok on my former smoker before the bottom give out. Seemed to happen not long after I got creative and figured out how to cook on it.
                    My first question is after the initial investment does it put a smile on your face every time you pull it out.😊 does the food make you smile even bigger now that you have had one like it for 18 months.
                    I look forward to perfection for my investment. A butt, ribs, turkey, not just for my family and friends. Also my Co workers during sometimes long holidays. Gonna stay with American made regardless.

I'm looking at getting a 24" horizon ranger smoker with the Tel-true thermometer x3, adjustable convection plate and 4 wheels. Started out I was gonna buy a whole cow. It makes more since to me to get something that I respect and wanna cook on.

The price is steep but a small price to pay for doing something you and others enjoy. Does it take alot wood to get it up to 250°? Does it maintain an even temp during a cook?
                    I have many more questions but the 2 above will help me out. Will take 8 weeks for them to build it.

Comment

My first forum I've ever joined. Not much information on horizon smokers out there. I'd like to keep this conversation dedicated to those thinking about an horizon smoker or very similar smokers.

Comment

Corepin Please check out some of the other topics in this Logs / Stickburners channel. There are some on fire management. I'm no authority on your model, but I have a few posts (as do others) on starting a fire and maintaining it, and the size of wood that works best, how often to load, how to keep the fire small but HOT for the best smoke, etc. Lots of info in this channel.

Since you're new to forums, just holler if you need help navigating and we'd be glad to help you find your way around.

Comment

The smoker on a trailer. And a smoker on 4 wheels
                          Attached Files

Comment

The only image I have of the smoker I'm planning to get

Comment

• EdF
                              EdF commented
                              Editing a comment
                              And a very nice image it is!

4 wheels
                            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here