Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I install a gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I install a gasket?

I noticed a good amount of smoke coming out of my Horizon 16 and wanted some feedback from other offset or even horizon owners. Should I install a gasket?

There seems to some areas that are pretty tight and others not so much. Would I stalling the gasket all the way around just leave me with the same issue?

Video of leaks: https://youtube.com/shorts/aM1l_r0E8X8?feature=share

Can you control the temp to what you want?

"Yes" leave it alone.

"No" well. Maybe.

It will eventually build up a seal of its own.

Comment

I'm sure it will get better as mentioned above. If you do seal you need to clean ALL the grease off for anything to stick.

Comment

Thank you, I will give it some time. I am able to produce good food on the thing and if I keep an eye on it can keep it in a reasonable temp range. I might give it some more time.

Comment

Honestly I think worrying about smoke leaks is of absolutely zero benefit. I do not believe in any way this contributes to a lack of smoke flavor or even poor flow or performance.

I would seriously challenge anyone to scientifically prove otherwise, unless your smoke leaks are of a greater amount than your chimney/exhaust.

NONE.

However... in my new smoker we are building, I would absolutely LOVE to be able to point to ZERO smoke leaks, just as a source of pride and a badge of honor and accomplishment. Just because.

Comment

Mine (Yoder) has some leaks, I can't be bothered by it.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Like the leak it sprung in your pocket book?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah them hunks o' steel aren't a budget buy, but it'll be there for my grandkids to use! texastweeter

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I feel ya, no Yoders but I have a few that will last.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here