Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Porter Road-my first order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jfrosty27
    Club Member
    • Mar 2020
    • Muskego, WI
    • Current cookers:
      Rec Tec RT700 "Bull" pellet cooker
      Smokin-It model 2 electric smoker w/ Maverick 732 temp monitor and cold smoking kit
      Weber Genesis 3 burner gas grill w/ rotisserie
      Charbroil Grill2Go gas grill
      Weber 22" Performer Deluxe kettle grill w/ThermoPro TP-20S temp monitor
      SnS Deluxe
      Vortex
      The Orion Cooker convection cooker/smoker (two of them)
      Joule Sous Vide circulator

Favorite beer: Anything that's cold!
      Favorite cocktail: Bourbon neat

Porter Road-my first order

I just now received my first ever order from Porter Road. First impressions are not good. First of all, the FedEx delivery was a day late. Came in three days instead of the promised two days. As a result, all items, which were to be shipped frozen, arrived completely thawed and borderline unsafe Temps. The box was even soggy from the condensation. I checked Temps with my infrared thermometer. Pork Wings: 39 degrees. Dino Ribs: 40 degrees. Beef Osso Bucco: 43 degrees. At a minimum, I must refreeze the items which is never good for the meat right? I emailed PR about it. We'll see what they say. 😤🤞
  • grantgallagher
    Club Member
    • Feb 2018
    • NJ

They will do you right im pretty sure. They have always been stand up in my experience. If i was in any company that ships frozen goods i would probably have fedex and UPS on the dartboard.

Comment

• Donw
      Club Member
      • Jul 2017

Every issues I have ever had with Porter Road they have handled quickly with a full refund. Once again the culprit seems to be Fedex. Fedex seem incapable of meeting their own delivery goals anymore. One vendor recently shipped me an order using Fedex overnight service, which cost the vendor a small fortune I’m sure, and even that shipment was a day late..

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I find UPS is worst than Fedex. Though both aren't meeting their own standards these days.

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        fed ex and ups do not have standards, they have weather conditions. i deal with it every day
    • USMCCrashCrew89
      Club Member
      • May 2020
      • Indiana

The one issue that I have had with Porter Road, due to a faulty vacuum seal was taken care of promptly and professionally, on a weekend at that. I order about every two months, for the past year and half and if I remember right they have changed shippers in the past few months due to issues with shipments getting delayed.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Club Member
        • Mar 2020
        • Muskego, WI
        • Current cookers:
          Smokin-It model 2 electric smoker w/ Maverick 732 temp monitor and cold smoking kit
          SnS Deluxe
          Vortex

UPDATE: I just heard back from PR. They said the pork wings and dino ribs were safe to refreeze and eat. Instructed to toss the osso bucco due to temp being over the line for safety. They will reship a replacement. Offered a refund but I really want to cook the OB!! Impressed that they responded so quickly and on a Sunday too

But should I be leery of the dino ribs and pork wings safety wise? 39 and 40 degrees on those items and 43 on the OB. That’s pretty close. Thoughts?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I think they were 40 or less, they should be safe. You will be freezing them and cooking down the road, should be fine.
      • Mosca
        Charter Member
        • Oct 2014
        • PA
        • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

I had that happen on a recent order, it was my fault not the company’s. I refroze pork ribs, the next time I ate them they were fine.

Comment

• rickgregory
          Founding Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Seattle, WA

40 is fine... if it wasn't there for hours.

Honestly, I think ordering perishables in the summer is just flat out risky. The temps are high and any delays are going to add the risk of spoilage. Had everything come in 2 days not 3 your order likely would have been fine.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Word
        • RichardCullip
          Club Member
          • Feb 2020
          • Poway, CA

I'm surprised that Porter Road doesn't ship frozen items with dry ice. Seems like a more reliable method to ensure that frozen stuff stays frozen. I know that Snake River Farms ships their frozen stuff with dry ice.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Club Member
            • Mar 2020
            • Muskego, WI
            • Current cookers:
              SnS Deluxe
              Vortex

Actually the whole thing was packaged pretty poorly. Cardboard box lined with very thin and light weight foam panels. Two gel packs on the bottom, two gel packs on top. Filled with scrunched up paper to fill the space. Probably would have been ok if it had come in two days rather than three though.

By comparison, a recent order from A Bar N Ranch came in a stout hard foam cooler in a cardboard box. Meat was packed with real dry ice and surrounded with some sort of foil and foam sheets. The meat came from Texas in two days and was frozen solid. And I mean SOLID. That’s more like it. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Mojo0209
              Club Member
              • Jan 2017
              • Fox Valley, Illinois

Received an order from Porter Road on Friday am. Pigsket, Pork wings and Beef vs Bacon. All 3 were between 34-36 degrees. Cooking all three today. So far, so good. I was worried about receiving meat in the hot weather, but it came within reasonable temp to us. Glad they responded so quickly to u.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                The pigsket is freaking awesome. Been wanting to order some more of that. And that beef vs. bacon mix is insane. Made meatballs out of it with some additional ground pork and those were some of the tastiest I've made in a while. Bet hamburgers would be amazing as well. Good order !!!
            • Troutman
              Club Member
              • Aug 2017

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

Porter Road is indeed one of my favorites. I too agree with the comment on summer months, FedEx, and covid-19 slow deliveries. I've tried to hold off until things get a little more conducive to safe delivery schedules. But, the guys at PR will make it right regardless.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Club Member
                • Mar 2020
                • Muskego, WI
                • Current cookers:
                  SnS Deluxe
                  Vortex

I just received my second order from Porter Road. Same issue as the first. Same poor packaging. Arrived a day late again. All items well above 40 degrees. In the trash it goes. What a waste. They took care of me the first time and I’m sure they will do it again. But what a hassle. And I had plans for that meat! I may be done with them as a vendor. 🤷‍♂️

UPDATE: As expected PR stepped quickly up and refunded my order in full. But not before trying to tell me the meat was ok to eat even at 45-50 degrees. I pushed back on that and they granted the refund.
                Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 24, 2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• BBQPhil
                  Club Member
                  • Sep 2017
                  • San Diego, CA
                  • Yoder480, BGE, WeberGO, WeberGas

I had the same experience with Snake River using FedEx. Apparently FedEx is trying to emulate the USPS.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Club Member
                    • Mar 2020
                    • Muskego, WI
                    • Current cookers:
                      SnS Deluxe
                      Vortex

Actually a friend of mine was expecting a delivery from Snake River today. Never showed up. FedEx late again.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      Club Member
                      • Nov 2017
                      • Huntsville, Alabama
                      • Jim Morris

Cookers
                        • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
                        • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
                        • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
                        • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
                        • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
                        • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
                        • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
                        • Anova
                        Thermometers
                        • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
                        • Thermoworks Dot
                        • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
                        • Thermoworks RT600C
                        Beverages
                        • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

I just got my first order from Porter Road. The pork brisket arrived fully frozen, the tri-tip arrived at around 36F to 40F based on an IR thermometer. Both were sandwiched between fully frozen ice packs, so I believe that the tri-tip was shipped fresh, not frozen - the receipt indicated that might be the case. Either way, both look good, although the tri-tip is about half as big as I expected it to be. They are both now in the deep freeze for future cooks.

I'm excited - never even seen a tri-tip before, and this pork brisket I think will make an interesting cook and is a good size for just the 2 of us.

I am not sure I will be able to cook the tri-tip soon, as Yvonne has been told by her doctors to ONLY eat her meat well-done while her blood counts and immunity levels are low. I've been cooking her steaks to 150 to 155, and my own to 135. Not sure how to handle the tri-tip, which I read needs to be cooked to medium rare to be tender...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3171.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	923178
                      Last edited by jfmorris; October 13, 2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
                        klflowers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe that is right, though on mine the grain changed towards the "tip". In the pic, it looks like the grain at the tip is running perpendicular to the tip. On mine, that area extended a ways up into the roast.

• Jfrosty27
                        Jfrosty27 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you look at the photo on the Porter Road site, it shows the grain pattern very clearly. The grain runs two directions. Similar to a brisket even. It changes more or less in the middle where the tip joins the roast. When I do one, I make a shallow slit on the top before cooking to mark where it changes.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jfrosty27 thanks - I see it now. The grain change is clearer once I looked at the one on the Porter Road site, then back at the picture above.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
                    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    Meat-Up in Memphis

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order