Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road-my first order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road-my first order

I just now received my first ever order from Porter Road. First impressions are not good. First of all, the FedEx delivery was a day late. Came in three days instead of the promised two days. As a result, all items, which were to be shipped frozen, arrived completely thawed and borderline unsafe Temps. The box was even soggy from the condensation. I checked Temps with my infrared thermometer. Pork Wings: 39 degrees. Dino Ribs: 40 degrees. Beef Osso Bucco: 43 degrees. At a minimum, I must refreeze the items which is never good for the meat right? I emailed PR about it. We'll see what they say. 😤🤞

They will do you right im pretty sure. They have always been stand up in my experience. If i was in any company that ships frozen goods i would probably have fedex and UPS on the dartboard.

Comment

Every issues I have ever had with Porter Road they have handled quickly with a full refund. Once again the culprit seems to be Fedex. Fedex seem incapable of meeting their own delivery goals anymore. One vendor recently shipped me an order using Fedex overnight service, which cost the vendor a small fortune I’m sure, and even that shipment was a day late..

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I find UPS is worst than Fedex. Though both aren't meeting their own standards these days.

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        fed ex and ups do not have standards, they have weather conditions. i deal with it every day

The one issue that I have had with Porter Road, due to a faulty vacuum seal was taken care of promptly and professionally, on a weekend at that. I order about every two months, for the past year and half and if I remember right they have changed shippers in the past few months due to issues with shipments getting delayed.

Comment

UPDATE: I just heard back from PR. They said the pork wings and dino ribs were safe to refreeze and eat. Instructed to toss the osso bucco due to temp being over the line for safety. They will reship a replacement. Offered a refund but I really want to cook the OB!! Impressed that they responded so quickly and on a Sunday too

But should I be leery of the dino ribs and pork wings safety wise? 39 and 40 degrees on those items and 43 on the OB. That’s pretty close. Thoughts?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I think they were 40 or less, they should be safe. You will be freezing them and cooking down the road, should be fine.

I had that happen on a recent order, it was my fault not the company’s. I refroze pork ribs, the next time I ate them they were fine.

Comment

40 is fine... if it wasn't there for hours.

Honestly, I think ordering perishables in the summer is just flat out risky. The temps are high and any delays are going to add the risk of spoilage. Had everything come in 2 days not 3 your order likely would have been fine.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Word

I'm surprised that Porter Road doesn't ship frozen items with dry ice. Seems like a more reliable method to ensure that frozen stuff stays frozen. I know that Snake River Farms ships their frozen stuff with dry ice.

Comment

Actually the whole thing was packaged pretty poorly. Cardboard box lined with very thin and light weight foam panels. Two gel packs on the bottom, two gel packs on top. Filled with scrunched up paper to fill the space. Probably would have been ok if it had come in two days rather than three though.

By comparison, a recent order from A Bar N Ranch came in a stout hard foam cooler in a cardboard box. Meat was packed with real dry ice and surrounded with some sort of foil and foam sheets. The meat came from Texas in two days and was frozen solid. And I mean SOLID. That’s more like it. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Received an order from Porter Road on Friday am. Pigsket, Pork wings and Beef vs Bacon. All 3 were between 34-36 degrees. Cooking all three today. So far, so good. I was worried about receiving meat in the hot weather, but it came within reasonable temp to us. Glad they responded so quickly to u.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                The pigsket is freaking awesome. Been wanting to order some more of that. And that beef vs. bacon mix is insane. Made meatballs out of it with some additional ground pork and those were some of the tastiest I've made in a while. Bet hamburgers would be amazing as well. Good order !!!

Porter Road is indeed one of my favorites. I too agree with the comment on summer months, FedEx, and covid-19 slow deliveries. I've tried to hold off until things get a little more conducive to safe delivery schedules. But, the guys at PR will make it right regardless.

Comment

I just received my second order from Porter Road. Same issue as the first. Same poor packaging. Arrived a day late again. All items well above 40 degrees. In the trash it goes. What a waste. They took care of me the first time and I’m sure they will do it again. But what a hassle. And I had plans for that meat! I may be done with them as a vendor. 🤷‍♂️

UPDATE: As expected PR stepped quickly up and refunded my order in full. But not before trying to tell me the meat was ok to eat even at 45-50 degrees. I pushed back on that and they granted the refund.
                Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 24, 2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I had the same experience with Snake River using FedEx. Apparently FedEx is trying to emulate the USPS.

Comment

Actually a friend of mine was expecting a delivery from Snake River today. Never showed up. FedEx late again.

Comment

I just got my first order from Porter Road. The pork brisket arrived fully frozen, the tri-tip arrived at around 36F to 40F based on an IR thermometer. Both were sandwiched between fully frozen ice packs, so I believe that the tri-tip was shipped fresh, not frozen - the receipt indicated that might be the case. Either way, both look good, although the tri-tip is about half as big as I expected it to be. They are both now in the deep freeze for future cooks.

I'm excited - never even seen a tri-tip before, and this pork brisket I think will make an interesting cook and is a good size for just the 2 of us.

I am not sure I will be able to cook the tri-tip soon, as Yvonne has been told by her doctors to ONLY eat her meat well-done while her blood counts and immunity levels are low. I've been cooking her steaks to 150 to 155, and my own to 135. Not sure how to handle the tri-tip, which I read needs to be cooked to medium rare to be tender...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3171.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	923178
                      Last edited by jfmorris; October 13, 2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
                        klflowers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe that is right, though on mine the grain changed towards the "tip". In the pic, it looks like the grain at the tip is running perpendicular to the tip. On mine, that area extended a ways up into the roast.

• Jfrosty27
                        Jfrosty27 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you look at the photo on the Porter Road site, it shows the grain pattern very clearly. The grain runs two directions. Similar to a brisket even. It changes more or less in the middle where the tip joins the roast. When I do one, I make a shallow slit on the top before cooking to mark where it changes.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jfrosty27 thanks - I see it now. The grain change is clearer once I looked at the one on the Porter Road site, then back at the picture above.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here