Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam's club vs costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam's club vs costco

My wife wants to join one of these.. which one has the better meat products?? That way I know which way to steer her..😁😁

Hard to say. Had you asked this a month ago I'd have said Costco, and my perspective on that is Prime briskets. For the longest time Costcos near me had them and Sam's never did. A month ago a few of my local Sam's has started carrying Prime packers. So, at this moment I am 50/50 liking both. Regarding the other meats, always had great experiences equally with both. For liquor, if you're a whiskey/Scotch fan, Costco.

You can always walk in and tour them to sneak a peek. And wine/liquor sales (at least in MI) don't need a membership. Not sure on all states with regard to that.

Comment

In my humble opinion, Costco has the better meats. They sell prime beef, to include packer briskets, New York Strip loins, and ribeyes. Their chicken seems fresher to me, and the pork butts seem fresher to me as well. They sell pork belly for 2.99, and it is good. I have membership to both clubs, but my meats are always purchased at Costco. The pictures are of a Costco NY Strip I processed for myself, and a Sams Club Rib I processed for my daughter.
      Attached Files

Comment

We have memberships to both and I vote for Costco meats. The Costco meat just looks better to me. But I think it is subjective, I don’t have any proof or anything. I have cooked both and been satisfied with the results and there doesn’t seem to be a big cost difference.

Comment

I havent been to sams in years. From what ive heard their meet has improved a LOT over the last 10 years or so but ive never had complaints about costco so i have never went back to sams.

although isnt it sams that has that bacon everyone raves about?

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Wright? Yeah, but I have been seeing that in more and more places besides Sam's.

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like the Hormel thick cut bacon at Sam's.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Wright's bacon. You can get it in Walmart. My wife turned me onto it, but it seems to me that the more popular it got, the quality suffered. We don't buy it anymore.

We have both. They both have good stuff. Yes meat is one good reason but I suggest you check out the lines for gasoline. Costco is always jammed, Sam's not at all. Priced the same.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Not here they are not, Costco always has the cheapest gas. Bit of a wait but if you go early or late no lines at all.

I have experienced shopping both in different states and will note that it varies by location. You should check your local stores out in person to decide. In my local stores Costco does not stock full packers, Sam’s does but has a smaller selection of other meats, specifically pork butts. If they are both equal I recommend joining the the one that is closer.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            This is true. My costcos do not have full packers. Seems to be flats only.

It’s hard to say. We’ve shopped at Costco for years but our membership is up for renewal and toyed with getting a Sam’s so we toured it. Costco has more brands we prefer so we stayed at Costco. I love Costco’s meat selection, always seems fresh and priced right. Someone mentioned gasoline, that is a very good point, Costco is always packed. We noticed Sams was not.🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment

I'm a member of Costco, and really love their prime whole packer briskets, and their baby back ribs.

I visited Sam's Club twice last year to look at their meats, and I agree with a previous poster that their meats don't look as fresh as the ones I buy at Costco.

However, my Costco doesn't have tri tip steaks. But Sam's Club does.

Comment

I always preferred Costco for everything, but only have a sams here so that's what we do.

Comment

We do not have Costco but we have Sams. Certain meats they are great. Others are ok. Ribs, shoulders and briskets are good. Steaks and chucks have been hit or miss. Some good, some ok.

Comment

I agree with everyone about Costco’s meat selection, I live ten minutes from the worlds largest Costco, it is a BBQers dream. It is always crazy busy and living in Utah it’s the place to shop for feeding large families. But because it is so busy, it is super stressful to shop there it’s like combat shopping and the checkout lines are insane. So if I am not looking for something specific I always go to sams club, never busy and they have a wonderful app that I scan things on the phone and you just charge it to the card and then walk to the exit and the person scans my phone and I walk out without waiting in any lines. It’s the best.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love their app too.

Costco is going to be selling their own chicken soon as well. I’m expecting prices to go down. Quality, we will have to wait and see, https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/65956...serie-chickens

Comment

Sams for Butts and boneless skinless thighs, Links
                    costco for Ribs, bacon, brisket, chuck, ribeyes, cap of ribeye

Comment

We dont have Sam's in my region. But I like how Costco treats their workers. No idea how it compares to Sam's.

Comment

• Murdy
                        Murdy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Since Sam's is a Walmart operation, probably like Walmart.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here