Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blended cheese experiment update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blended cheese experiment update

so after reading all the replies and doing some research on my own. This is what I came up with.
    I took a block of jack cheese and a block of havarti, shredded them added 2 Reapers and 2 jalapeños. Taking CandySueQ advice I cooked the peppers, boiled them for 7min, to be exact.
    I minced up the peppers. Tossed everything together in a 1 gallon bag.
    Decided to go the SV route. Much easier to get precise temps.
    Started @80* let the bag go for 20min.
    Not soft enough so I went to 90* and let it go for 20min.
    Getting there but not quite soft enough.
    Kicked it up to 95*. Another 15min and just about perfect.
    I did go to 100* which was a little too hot. The cheeses started to separate but not too bad.
    I than mushed it all together trying to squeeze out any air pockets. Cut the corner of the bag and squeezed the mixture into 2 mini loaf pans. Pressed them as firmly as possible.
    Put in the fridge overnight and I was pleasantly surprised the 2 new blocks of cheese came out pretty darn good.
    I will definitely do this again.
    Enough of my rambling. Time for the pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1290.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	389790Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	389789Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	389788
    Attached Files

Thanks for the update! How were the taste and texture?

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Tasted good exactly like pepper jack, havarti cheese. I was a little surprised that it wasn't hotter. Next time gonna add more Reapers.

Have you tried it yet

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yepper. Had a couple of slices and topped off my burger with it last night. It melted nicely but didn't have as much heat as I was hoping for.

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B my stuff seemed to lose heat after cooking them, thats what i was wondering

I'd buy that! Looks good!

Comment

Looks great Steve! I am also curious about the texture of the cheese.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have to say just like a pepper jack cheese you'd buy in the store.

What a fun experiment! The boil might have sapped some of the heat from your peppers.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Bet you're right! I'd be tempted to do a flame roast over coals in a veggie basket, instead of boiling.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ my wife makes candied jalapenos and jalapeno jelly and tames them down by boiling. Great end results that anyone can eat, but I miss the heat. I really like the roasting advice.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks CandySueQ and CaptainMike try that next batch.
        Last edited by Steve B; October 4, 2017, 03:14 PM.

Awesome work Brother!! You have me thinking.

Comment

Alas, you are now a cheesehead! Congrats, sure looks good.

Comment

Great work! Thanks for the experiment.

Comment

Maybe roasting the peppers instead of boiling them would retain more heat? Not sure... never tried anything like that before, but I wonder if a lot of the capsicum was leeched out in the boiling water.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm thinking your right. The other thing I did was soak up all the liquid from the peppers after I minced them up.
              It definitely makes sense. Last years Reaper sauce was not nearly as hot as the years before. 2 years ago I fermented the peppers and last year I boiled them.
              Tried different recipes.

• Buck Flicks
              Buck Flicks commented
              Editing a comment
              Fermented... now that sounds delicious!

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              And if it turns out like the last time. Much hotter. Oh yeah.

Thanx for the update and congrats on a successful experiment.

Comment

Nice work! Whoddathunk to SV cheese!

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Once you get the pepper heat you're after, maybe try to cold smoke some of it to see how that turns out. Thanks for sharing the results of your experiment.

Comment

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good idea. My brother has a cold smoker of some sorts

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here