Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danjohnston949, a.k.a Dan Johnston, Fargo ND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoistin a lil shot glass, in response:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_222443.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	641579

Rest Easy, Cuz...

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought everything was bigger in Texas, but it looks like Kansas has us beat when it comes to shot glasses.

this is terrible. that goofball always had something fun to say. i'll miss him.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of Dan's passing. He was always a bright light and so upbeat and cheerful in any post he made in the time I've been here in The Pit, and much of the past year and a half, he was dealing with health issues, but remained upbeat throughout it all. I feel that he was a good example of us all of how to not dwell on our problems, but to focus on the good in our lives.

Rest in peace Danjohnston949, my condolences to his wife Eunice, and the rest of his family.

Comment

I didn't know Dan other than by reading his posts here. He certainly helped make this site great. In his memory, I just donated a Ben to OBR as a "Gift In Memorium" to Dan.
        Last edited by johnec00; February 25, 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great thing to do. Dan would have appreciated that.

One of the sweetest and spiciest souls in the pit. Breaks my heart. But Dan, he WON! and we will always remember his humor and I will always remember his kindness. he will be sorely missed. Is there any way we can send notes to the family?

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I was wondering the same

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones has linked to the funeral home website, you can post a note there.

Finally had some time to sit down and listen to Dan's Pitcast. What a treasure he was. A fine man and a great contributor to our club. Thank you so much for your kindness and wit over the years Dan, you will be missed.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I did the same, best one yet

Dan Johnston Memorial Service

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Donation done.

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          I just made a donation as well.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for doing that. We know Dan would appreciate that! Donw klflowers N227GB

For Dan's memory. I'm finally home to raise a gl...bottle. Cheers all...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190227-013338.png
Views:	327
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	642686

Comment

A guy that used a BBQ forum, an IPad and a buttload of emojis to make people smile around the world! Such a kind heart and I will always go back to read his posts whenever I need a pick me up or just a good laugh. His PitCast interview is an all time classic.

Goes to show that an old fashioned good heart and sense of humor gets you a long ways, and that's something I will always try to take with me. When there were talks of doing a meetup around Memphis in May last year, Dan was the #1 guy that I wanted to sit next to at the bar. I have a feeling that his stories on this forum (4,200 posts and at least 40,000 emojis) only scratched the surface of all the great stories you could get out of him after hanging out with him at the bar or around the campfire for a few hours.

My condolences to Eunice, his family, and the "$#*T Bird Mutts" as he used to call them.

It looks from the link that his Memorial Service is this Saturday in Fargo. There's a button to send flowers which I am happy to do, but anyone have any other ideas to send to him and/or Eunice? Maybe we could organize some BBQ Catering from his favorite spot for his family to enjoy after the service? Happy to throw in plenty to make something cool like this happen if others are interested!

A walk down memory lane:

Dan’s First post:

"I just joined The Club and am trying to learn to navigate the site. I have grilled and smoked for a couple of days now and I have learned you never serve it until 3hrs. After They Expect To Eat!! They'll eat anything and swear it's great! I enjoy this site very much. Dan"

Meathead, I am waiting on my Joule and I Don't Parlee Vouix Sioux Vee Doo? Make the New Section Plain English! Thanks!
          Ear Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator...

What The H--L Bones❓ You GONNA SMOKE THE WORLD CUZZ‼️❓‼️

Spin, We Were Begining To Wonder If "OL'E GRIZZ HAD YOU BY THE YING YANG"❓❗️❓ Little Did We Know, You Tad A Private Caterer With You‼️❓‼️ ...

riverken, I Can't Think Of Anyone I'd Rather See Win Unless It Was ME‼️❓‼️ Just Don't Be Like Mr. Bones And Talk OurLegs Off Without Showing Us Pics Of The First Cook❓❗️❓...

I'm gonna miss reading stuff like this. Thank you Dan for ll the memories, kind words, and (most of all) laughs.

From a Backyard Cremator in Upland, CA . Paul

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, he loved giving me crap about being eaten by the bears in AK. Hahahahahaha

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the memories..

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            40,000 emojis, you nailed it, that and his redness as you so captured.

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Comment

I know Dan would probably prefer a donation to OBR or something similar, but I did have some flowers sent to the funeral home on behalf of all of us. I am sure Eunice would appreciate that we are thinking of them right now

Comment

To Dan! Click image for larger version

Name:	20190301_191717.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	643866

Comment

Aw man...that’s sad.
              Always liked his posts and, of course, his signature tag line.
              The world is a bit sadder today.

Comment

Like all of us, I was saddened to hear about his passing, especially since he was only 69. I had always thought that he was a good bit older.

Comment

We received this from Dan's sister today:

I wanted to reach out and thank the members for the kind words about my brother Dan Johnston! BBQ was his world the last few years thank you all for the beautiful tributes! Blessings to you all Sharon (Johnston) Berglund. Baby sister of the back yard cremator!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Huskee

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here