Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Howdy From Rural North Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BradNorthGA
    Club Member
    • Dec 2020
    • North Georgia

Howdy From Rural North Georgia

My name is Brad, as the title suggests I live in rural North Georgia. I am very new to BBQ and smoking, but I really gotten into it big time lately! In fact I ain't even been cooking at all very long, honestly. I never learned to cook growing up, but in 2015 my then-girlfriend now-wife encouraged me to start learning and I really took to it fast. I liked the prep, I liked the procedure, and most of all I liked that I could fix my food and flavor it just the way I wanted. I was sick of eating out all the time and fixing processed/frozen junk at home anyways. I started out by taking in the basics on YouTube, learning by doing, that sort of thing. I started learning and loving cast iron, and quickly I started grilling and really took a liking to that.

I just had a super cheap charcoal grill, but it was enough to learn the very basics and I made a lot of good stuff: hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, etc. I was grilling out several nights a week, at this point the girlfriend who encouraged me initially to learn to cook had married me, and she was encouraging me even more by now...we were starting to eat pretty good around here, after all! It soon became imperative to upgrade, as that old cheap grill was falling apart. It was rusting all over, there was screws loose, one of the wheels at the base was missing. It was "well used," I would say, in the same way that a book you've read so many times the spine is completely cracked is "well read." Time to get a new one.

I had no idea what to look for in a new grill, we just started to going to places like Home Depot and looking in the grilling section, but I didn't really know what all I was browsing and honestly it all looked good to me. Also, we didn't have a whole lot of money, we're just ordinary working class folks and money was and is always tight. BUT, Christmas was coming up, and my parents were starting to ask us what we might want for Christmas that year. I said "we'd really love a new grill, ours is falling apart." What I didn't know when I told them that, was that my dad at the time was really wanting to buy himself a Big Green Egg. He'd been looking at them for a few weeks and was about to pull the trigger on one. I didn't know what a Big Green Egg was then, and lord knows we wouldn't have been able to afford one, but fate is funny sometimes...and so when they heard that gift request my dad decided to be extra generous that holiday season and instead of buying a Big Green Egg for himself, he bought two of them, one for himself and one for us. So for Christmas 2018, we got a Large Big Green Egg. This is the best Christmas present I've ever received in my entire life!

This thing changed my life, it took my journey of learning how to cook from a hobby to a full-on obsession. I was cooking on the Big Green Egg every chance I got. It didn't matter if it was raining, I would cover it up with a giant deck umbrella and cook on it anyways. When I had downtime at work I was watching Big Green Egg videos on YouTube. I would scout town for the best deals on lump charcoal, and I meticulously cleaned it out and made sure to not waste an ounce of the leftover fuel. I would (and still do) separate my lump charcoal according to big pieces, smaller pieces, and even used lump charcoal to add back later. The spent ash goes into my wife's compost for our gardening; waste not, want not. Everything I had previously made on the cheap charcoal grill I made on the Egg, but it was better and I made so many new things, it was world-changing for me. I started to level up my game in various ways including, crucially, stopping trusting the dial thermometer on top and getting an internal temperature probe. It wasn't long before I discovered and dived straight into smoking on it...

The first thing I smoked was ground beef, as part of a recipe "over the top chili." This is where you put your chili guts in a dutch oven below the grill grates, then smoke the ground beef on the grates on top of that so all the drippings & goodness falls into the chili, then when the ground beef is done smoking you mash it up and add it into the dutch oven with the guts. It was so good, I was blown away! My wife loved it too, I made it quite often -- so frequently we started getting tired of chili lol. I smoked various stuff; some veggies, I even did some brisket which despite being told was very difficult turned out great after doing lots of research ahead of time & following directions, being prepared, and being patient. All of this bring us to the topic that led me to discover this website and behooved me to post all of this here...RIBS!!

So for ribs, I hit up YouTube and the internet like usual, and I frequently encountered the "3-2-1 method" and/or the "2-2-1 method”. Throw the ribs on for 3 or 2 hours depending on the cut of meat, then wrap it up in foil with some beer & other stuff and put that on for 2 hours, then another hour out of the foil. This advice is all over the place online, and tutorial videos about it abound. So I tried this with my first rack of babybacks. I put 'em on for 2 hours, wrapped in foil and put some beer + brown sugar & stuff in there with them and put that on for 2 hours, then a final hour out of the foil again. The results were...underwhelming. Not awful but not what I expected from ribs. They were kinda mushy, they'd felt as if they'd almost been steamed or boiled or something. I wasn't demoralized or deflated, but I knew they could have (should have!) been a lot better so I just started watching a lot more videos and reading more.

The breakthrough came when I saw a video where a guy did it for like 2.5 hours initially, then 1.25 hours only in foil, then out of the foil to finish. I tried this, only an hour and a quarter in foil and the result was noticeably better. I started doing my ribs with less time in the foil, and they started getting tastier. The trend was obvious, so I hit the internet researching the issue. That's how I found this site. I stumbled across Meathead's "Famous Last Meal Ribs" recipe, and I dove into a lot of the other links and resources on this site including how to know the ribs are done, and a whole lot of other stuff. One reason I was doing ribs research at this time, is that my wife and I were having two friends up for the holidays (this was yesterday), and I had bought two racks of babyback ribs from the local butcher that I was gonna smoke for them.

I decided to forego the foil entirely, as suggested by the Famous Last Meal recipe, and I followed it to the letter. My god, they were the best racks I ever done. They were delicious, truly amazing...our friends were blown away! It was a great night, we had good drinks, my wife had made some collard greens & cornbread to go with it, everyone had a full belly & a smile on their face. At one point during supper they started asking me about "what is Georgia BBQ like compared to other regions?" which confused me as I had no idea why they'd ask me this or how I would answer. I was kinda perplexed by the question honestly. Then it hit me...the ribs were so damn good they assumed I was some kind of expert or pitmaster or something, LMAO! I told them I didn't really know, wasn't an expert, just a home cook who could follow directions online haha.

So I wanted to make an account here, and share all of this. Sorry the post was so long, but I was really passionate about sharing all this and I can't wait to get more into this site and this forum. I intend to sign up for the yearly subscription once I get my paycheck at the end of the month, and I look forward to getting to know y'all and learning a whole lot more. I included a pic of those ribs from yesterday. I took this picture right before I added the sauce to glaze at the very tail end. You can see, I put a small spattering of extra rub on, this was right before I sauced them. In case you're wondering, I cut both racks in half to make them fit easier over the drip/water pan. I don't know if that's necessary, but I figure it probably didn't hurt much. They sure were tasty!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BradNorthGA; December 12, 2020, 10:32 PM.
  • BradNorthGA
    Club Member
    • Dec 2020
    • North Georgia

For my next thing I'm hoping to work on for the Big Green Egg, I was recently at Kroger and they were having their turkeys on sale at a deep discount (since Thanksgiving is over). I snagged this one for like 15 bucks. I am hoping to smoke it on the Big Green Egg, not really sure the best way to go about prepping and doing it -- would love some recipes and tips from y'all!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Soonerpop
      Club Member
      • Jan 2020
      • Plano, Texas
      • Cookshack Smokette 008 (2005)
        Weber 18.5” Kettle
        Weber 22.5” Performer (drop-down shelf)
        SNS Elevated Grate
        Pit Barrel Junior (PBJ)
        Freedom Grill (for tailgating, but don’t do much anymore)
        Sizzle-Q Stainless Griddle
        Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter

Thermapen (Red, of course)
        Smoke Alarm (Likewise)

Kingsford Professional
        Weber Briquettes (longer cooks)

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
        Coors Banquet (why bother with light beer?)

Hi and welcome from north Texas.
      And we have a winner! Longest post I’ve ever read. Your passion for smoking is great. I don’t have an egg, but I’ve never wrapped ribs. Good luck with the turkey. You’ll get plenty of free advice and direction here. Meathead has several article and recipes on turkey.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        Club Member
        • Sep 2015
        • Colorado
        • > Weber Genesis EP-330
          > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
          > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
          > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
          > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
          to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
          > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
          > Thermoworks Smoke
          > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
          > Thermoworks Thermapen
          > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
          > Anova sous vide circulator
          > Searzall torch
          > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

Welcome from Colorado, Brad ...

Comment

• tbob4
          Charter Member
          • Nov 2014
          • Chico, CA
          • BBQ's
            Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
            Cherry
            Peach
            Apple

Hello from Chico, Ca!

Comment

• tbob4
            Charter Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Chico, CA
            • BBQ's
              Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
              Cherry
              Peach
              Apple

Take a look at this for the turkey

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ksgiving-cooks

Comment

• zero_credit
              Club Member
              • Mar 2020
              • Near Chicago, IL
              • Current Pride and Joy:

Masterbuilt Gravity 560

Joule

Old (sold) Loves:

PBC
                Weber 22" Premium

Thermometers:

Inkbird
                Thermoworks POP

Preferred Charcoal:

B&B Charlogs/B&B Lump

Wow. What a great intro. I am so glad you are here and welcome from Chicagoland! Looking forward to seeing more of your cooks.

Comment

• clb239
                Club Member
                • Oct 2016
                • Farmville, Va
                • TSmokers / Grills
                  Weber 22" w/ SnS & GrillGrates
                  Pit Barrel Cooker
                  OKJ Bandera
                  22" Blackstone
                  Meadow Creek PR42G

Thermometers
                  Lavatools Javelin
                  Thermoworks Thermopen mk4
                  Maverick XR-50
                  Maverick ET-732
                  Maverick ET-735

Instagram and Facebook @bkydbbq

Welcome from Farmville, Va...

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
                  Club Member
                  • May 2020
                  • Massachusetts
                  • Smokers/Grills:
                    Camp Chef Smokepro DLX pellet grill
                    Weber Kettle
                    Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

Favorite whiskey:
                    Knob Creek Single Barrel Bourbon
                    Angels Envy Bourbon
                    Whistle Pig Rye

Everyday sipper:
                    Jim Beam Black and Wild Turkey Rye 101

Favorite beer:
                    Coffee Porter or Stouts

Pabst Blue Ribbon and Narragansett for grilling and lawn mowing.

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts

Comment

• willxfmr
                    Club Member
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Fondy

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!
                    I love your enthusiasm and passion! Can't wait to hear more. Just remember, the rule here is, without pictures, it didn't happen. For instance, you say you got married, but I didn't see any wedding pics... Just saying.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                      Club Member
                      • Nov 2017
                      • Virginia
                      • SNS Kamado
                        Weber Summit S-670
                        Camp Chef FTG 600
                        Camp Chef Escape

Old Hickory Knives
                        More Cast Iron than I care to admit

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Charter Member
                        • Sep 2016
                        • Kansas Territory
                        • Grills / Smokers

Kingsford 24" grill (Free) 'Billy'
                          Brinkmann Smoke n Grill
                          Oklahoma Joe Highland, gaskets, LavaLock baffle / tuning plate. 'Big Joe'
                          Weber 18" Kettle ($30 CL) 'Lil' Feller'
                          Weber Smokey Joe ($25 CL) 'Lil' Brother'
                          Weber 22.5 Master Touch '93 P Code Blue($85) from fellow WKC member Bmitch 'Elwood'
                          Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Q Kettle '69-'70 "Patent Pending" Red ($80) from fellow WKC member dwnthehatch 'Maureen'
                          Weber 22.5 OTS DD Code Black ($40 CL) 'DeeDee'
                          Weber 22.5 OTS DO Code Black ($15 CL)
                          Weber 22.5 OTS E Code Black ($20 CL
                          Weber 22.5 OTS EE Code Black ($20 CL

Weber "C" Code 18.5" WSM '81 ($50 CL) 8-0!!!
                          Weber "H" Code 18.5" WSM '86 ($75 CL)
                          Weber " " Code 18.5" WSM

Weber 26.75, $199 NFM clearance !!!
                          Weber SJS AH 'Lil' Brother'
                          Weber SJS AT 'Lil' Sister'
                          Weber SJS DE Code (FREE) 'Lil' Helper'
                          Weber SJG M Code 'Lil Traveller'
                          Weber SJS AH Code 'Kermit'
                          (Lime Green)
                          Horizon 20" Classic, w/baffle/tuning plate (FREE)
                          Good One Open Range, (FREE), Monthly Prize from AR giveaway!!!!

Thermometers:
                          Ol' Skool Bi-metal probe pocket thermo, that has checked / served ~ 1,000,000 meals in my possession, easily...
                          Maverick ET-732, (Black)
                          Thermopops, (Red, Yellow, Green)
                          ThermaPen Mk4 (Black), THANKS!!! to jgjeske1
                          Blue ThermaPen Mk4
                          Orange Thermapen Mk4
                          Pink Thermapen Mk4
                          ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S
                          ThermoWorks Smoke
                          ThermoWorks Open Box Smoke
                          4 Pro Series cable extensions
                          Smoke Gateway

Accessories:
                          2 Slow 'N Sears, Slow 'N Sear XL, Grill 'N Griddle
                          BBQ Vortex, 2 Hovergrills, Top Deck
                          Warming shelf
                          MyWeigh KD-8000Kitchen Scale
                          Backyard Grill marinade injector
                          Acoustic Guitars/Electric Guitars/Basses/1928 National Duolian/Harmonicas/Banjo Washboard, Spoons, kazoos, pocket comb with wax paper, egg shakers ;-)
                          Bear Paws
                          Meat Rakes
                          BBQ Dragon/Chimley of Insanity, Dragon Wing Shelves (x2 ea.)

Cookware:
                          Probably a ton of cast iron, mostly very old...still cookin'
                          G'Ma's Piqua skillet, :-)( They went out of business in 1934~)
                          '60's Revere Ware (Mom's), + others found elsewhere
                          60's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (Mom's) Daily driver
                          50's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (G'Ma's), for a backup! ;-)
                          Carpy Wally World stock pots, in approx 2 gal/3gal sizes, blue speckledty-porcelain enameled
                          Tramontina 6.5 qt Dutch Oven

Cutlery, etc.:
                          Shi*-ton of kitchen/chef knives, most sharper than my straight-razors are. (Better steel!) Chicago Cutlery, Old Hickory, various, including some nice German stuff ;-)
                          Dexter 12" slicing knife, 6" Sani-Safe boning knife
                          Smith's Tri-Hone Natural Arkansas Knife Sharpening System
                          Multiple steels, from all over the planet
                          Crock sticks
                          Diamond stones, various
                          Lansky Sharpening System

Tableware
                          Daily driver:Washington Forge Mardi Gras, Navy / Cobalt Blue
                          Dinner: Guests: Washington Forge, Town and Country
                          Fancy / Formal: Family silverware

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
                          Club Member
                          • Apr 2016
                          • South central Illinois

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

• Skip
                            Founding Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Blue Earth, Minnesota
                            • LSG Adjustable Grill/Smoker, MAK Pellet Grill, Large BGE, Weber Gasser, Cast Iron Pans & Griddle, Grill Grates, Mostly Thermoworks Thermometers

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                              Charter Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Grew up in New Orleans, lived in Texas for 20 years, lived in Mandeville, LA for 22 years. I now liv

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I love my Big Green Egg, too!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                              See more
                              See less
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Meat-Up in Memphis