Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Nebraska

Hi everyone!
    This site has been extremely helpful to me in my grilling and I finally decided I should support it to keep it going! My wife and I love to cook, but I have never been a power bbq'r. I purchased a weber kettle a few months ago instead of another propane grill to give charcoal a try (and to be cheap - those propanes are pricy!) My wife has loved the results and keeps telling everyone I am an "amazing" griller now, even though I have only used my grill about 20 times. I have only grilled chicken, burgers, dogs, and steaks on the grill thus far, but this weekend, I am going for a St Louis Slab of ribs. I am going to try out the fuse method and use a few lumps of apple wood. I have had problems getting the heat in my weber to 225 though (I am always around 275-300). I am going to use the Last Meal Ribs recipe, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I am completely open to all advice!
    Paul

Welcome Aboard, Paul

Actually the fuse method may be helpful for getting closer to that temp you are looking for

Comment

welcome paul! you should post some pics of those ribs when you make them!

Comment

Will do! We are going to sit on the patio all afternoon smelling bbq, drinking Gin and Tonics, and playing cards. It will be a tough Saturday for us

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Paul

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from about as far west in Nebrasaka as you can get (Morrill). Glad to have another Husker on board.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I like to say that since joining the Pit my Q has went from zero to hero.

Comment

First try, so learned a lot regardless of outcome. I dry brined for 2 hours, used the memphis dust rub over night, and tried to keep 225 +-15 degrees. I think I pulled them a little too early as some of the ribs were a bit chewy. I also made the KC sauce and we really love that stuff - looking forward to trying that on a few others. Here is my photographic evidence!

Comment

pdizona, those ribs look great! Have a look at the bend test as described in this article. Also see this article.

Comment

Looks good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by pdizona View Post
                      Hi everyone!
                      I am going to try out the fuse method and use a few lumps of apple wood. I have had problems getting the heat in my weber to 225 though (I am always around 275-300). I am going to use the Last Meal Ribs recipe, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I am completely open to all advice!
                      Paul
                      Try putting a disposable tin underneath the rack on the charcoal grate and put some water into it. The water will act as a heat sink and will help bring down the temperature and hold it. Also, you can fiddle with the bottom and top vents. Maybe have the bottom vents only 1/4 open and the top vent 1/2 open. This will reduce the flow of oxygen and reduce the heat coming off your coals.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here