Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intro and Smokefire Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro and Smokefire Woes...

Hello from Brooklyn NY (well LI). I have been Smoking for about 20 years now. Primarily on my Weber Kettle Grill. I have the Slow n Sear and Smokenator additions. I recently bought a Weber Smokefire and it really is a POS. I have had two glow plugs crap out on me and the assembly part too. Although Weber service is pretty great (when I called), it still went South. I am lucky I bought insurance because after it flatlined again, it was time to pull the plug. Insurance will pay me in full. As much as I like Weber, I jumped the gun. I should’ve waited for the second generation (if they ever get there). They should call it the Sh*tfire. Believe me, I hate saying negative things but it has been the most frustrating time trying to make this smoker work. I still have it sitting in my yard and have to ask if there are any suggestions on how to fix it? And any recommended smokers that I can check out.
    I look forward to contributing to this site in the future.

Bill

Welcome from Maryland. Sorry to hear of your problems but they seem to echo the experience of some of our members while others have a different experience.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I am sorry to hear about your bummer. There are plenty of Weber folks in the Pit along with pellet folks. I am sure they will have recommendations. I am a Kamado guy, so if you tell me what your goals are for the new smoker I would be happy to let you know if I think a Kamado will meet them.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
        Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Summat of a Weber fan, here...
        So far, wouldn't want me no SmokeFire, if they sent one to me, along with a $1500 card fer SRF...
        Hopefully they'll git it figgered out.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 18, 2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. Sorry for your problems. Weber really stumbled on that one. There are many brands of pellet cookers out there from $ to $$$. I have a Yoder YS640 and really enjoy it. Like mentioned above what are your needs/wants, cooks you're planning?

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit.

Comment

Drag, no one likes getting a lemon hung around they're neck but for once insurance pays off.
                Put it under a trap in the corner, there's a lotta really smart people on this site, someone's in they're garage figuring this out.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. The Smokefire has had lots of problems, but Weber is slowly addressing them. One thing that might help is that apparently the Weber brand pellets work better than other brands.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Check the channels section. We had quite a bit of discussion on that unit here.

Comment

Some people on one of the FB SmokeFire groups thing they glow plug issues are from the grounds shorting our. I’ve seen a couple people get the rubber wrapped metal hose clamps and clamp around where the little ground tab touches the glow plug and swear that fixed their problem. I don’t know if electrical tape would work the same or not or how quickly it would melt with the heat.

It isn’t convenient and not the daily solution I’d want, but you can light the pellets manually with a propane torch then put the heat shields and grates back in.

The SmokeFire definitely has some big quirks, but it also cooks like no other pellet grill anywhere near that price. I had one, returned it and have since bought another since it does cook so well.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from La Crosse, Wi. Sorry to hear about the smoke fire, I have only heard problems so far. I love my Weber kettles and my Weber wsm. Enjoy the site.

Comment

Welcome. Your experiences seem to mirror the reviews found on Amazon and on Weber's own site, averaging about a 2 1/2 out of five. From reading them, there doesn't appear to be just a single point of failure but a multitude of them. It's become pretty clear by now that they have a unique design that, when it works, does a very good job, but because of so many design issues, it rarely works well for many. Rarely do you see a large, reputable company fail so big like this.

Comment

I gotta tell ya, that intro got me rolling!!

Sorry for your troubles, but I yeah I'm also waiting on the arrival of the Smoke Fire 2.0, IF they can manage to get the grease out of the unit without having to utilize a drip pan.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here