Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Joined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Joined

UPDATE: Sorry I glopped my replies to you all together, creating yet more marathon posts; just figured out I could reply to each post separately. Thanks for your patience as I get the hang of things.

Not tech-savvy enough to be a "lurker" on this board, I just joined — and I’m not even sure this post will land in the "introduce yourself" forum/topic. God forbid that I hijack an important topic like burnt ends. That would be a hell of an unwelcome introduction. So ... fingers crossed.

Anyway, hello to all, with greetings from a relatively new BBQ’er.

Cooking was never in my wheel house, but brisket has always been on my mind. I could steam green beans, scramble eggs, make spaghetti, and cook some pretty tasty ribeyes and prime rib, and that was about the long and short of it. But after taking a 6-week cooking class, the cooking bug bit me and I dove right in. Now I can make french baguettes, Neopolitan pizza (and my own sauce and dough) killer creamed corn, escargot, sticky spicy Asian chicken wings, crab claws w/garlic bread, and even macarons. Yes, you heard that right: macarons (not to be confused with your grandmother’s macaroons). But they are one hell of a challenge and I haven’t made them in a while. But brisket seemed even more daunting.

Enter ... my BARBECUE craze. Sure, I could make a decent rack of ribs on a propane grill, using indirect heat, but they weren’t mind blowing; and I’d never even heard of wrapping! But brisket? Brisket was the ultimate challenge. Nothing but nothing beats a good brisket. I was determined to master it and master it CONSISTENTLY. Still, worried that my brisket-smoking obsession could be short-lived, I dipped my toe into the water with an older Traeger "Lil Tex" floor model that was majorly on sale (I think that was the model name?) from Home Depot, after researching how pellet grills work, watching hundreds of YouTube videos, and going to a Meat Church cooking class done exclusively on Traegers. Matt Pittman’s brisket totally hooked me. I’m telling you, it will make you cry. Even the flat will bring tears to your eyes. It’s that good. (As an aside, f you can take one of his Meat Church classes, by all means take it. If nothing else, you will be deliciously well-fed throughout the 3-hour class — so much so, you might not fit back into your car when it’s time to leave. And if you can’t take his class, try his Meat Church rubs at the very least.)

Anyway ... my brisket/smoking BBQ adventure is now an obsession and I am all-in, which brings me to the main reason I am here. I loved my little Traeger. All of my briskets came out wonderfully (except for my first try). But every four hours, the grill would throw a fit and a fire would start in the fire box. I would have to take the meat off, unplug it, cool down the grill, take it apart, shop-vac it, reassemble, etc. before I could fire it up again (or plug it in, I should say) and continue the cook. Yes, extremely inconvenient — but everything I cooked on it was so delicious, I was willing to put up with its temperature tantrums. Finally, though, I’d had enough when it pitched a fit during a long brisket cook at 2:30am on a very cold Thanksgiving morning. Reluctantly, I took the poor thing back to Home Depot and bought a RecTec 700 Bull. And that, after hours of research on other grills; Traeger had spooked me. I assumed the transition to the Bull would be smooth. It’s just more cooking real estate, right?

Well, yes, but the transition has hardly been smooth. I’ve done four cooks on the Bull and it is just not yielding the same flavor or tenderness. Hoping and praying the problems are w/me and not the grill, and that by joining Pitmaster, maybe some of you here can give me some pointers or help me figure out what I’m doing wrong. Sure, I could return it — "satisfaction guaranteed" — but shipping 300+ pounds of Bull back to Georgia is no mean feat. (After giving it a lot of thought, I think my old Traeger just had an auger-speed feeding problem; I wish I’d just tinkered with it some before returning it. It was apparently a well-known defect — though you’ll see its fire-box malfunctions are commonly, and mostly erroneously, attributed to user error by YouTubers — and Traeger has since corrected the problem on their new models, I’m told. In fact my old model isn’t even made any more.)

In any event, the Bull is well-constructed, it gets rave reviews and, best I can tell, it works the same way as every other pellet grill I’ve ever looked at, so I’ll be damned if I know why I’m getting mediocre results. Maybe I should switch to Traeger pellets instead of using the pellets supplied by RecTec. I don’t know. RT customer service is certainly fine, though whenever I talk to one of their folks on the phone (they are all, to a person, remarkably mellow), I do wonder if Georgia has legalized something my state hasn’t. All I know is that my Traeger briskets turned my husband and guests into slavering, ravenous, grunting cavemen. My brisket on the Bull, on the other hand, leaves people politely unenthused, using forks to eat it while they’re glued to the tube — even they’re only watching an Alabama/TN type blow-out game. When my sister first saw me slicing a Traeger brisket, she thought the beautiful, mammoth smoke ring was raw meat! But after her first bite, even she went total caveman. I want my cavemen eaters back.

So that’s my long-winded introduction. Hello. Glad to be here, and nice to meet you. I really, really need some help w/my RecTec. I’ll stop at this point, since I don’t even know if this will post, much less post correctly on the "Introduce Yourself" forum. And a thousand apologies to all if I mistakenly crash the burnt-enders’ confab.
    Last edited by GirlGrilling; October 25, 2019, 11:10 PM.

Welcome from the California Delta. Be afraid the path will suck you down.
    Do you have a remote leave in thermometer and and instant read one. Have you been cooking your briskets to 203-205 and checking for probe tender? Are you resting the brisket for at least an hour wrapped? Are the briskets the same grade? Some pieces of meat are tougher than others. A few basic things to do. Don't give up!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... and yes, your post landed in the Introduce Yourself channel ...

Comment

Welcome from Massachusetts!

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. One addition to add is a two probe remote monitor thermometer like the Maverick ET732/733, it measures the temperature at the grill and the temperature of the meat. If your cell phone literate and can use wifi then you can check out the Fireboard.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from La Crosse, Wi

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes. Much appreciated. Glad to know this posted where it was supposed to post.

@ Offeles, yes, the RecTec has a remote leave-in internal-temp thermometer with a great app that tells you the grill temp and internal temp and allows you to remotely raise/lower temp of grill. It also alarms you if grill temp range you’ve set is exceeded, or you’ve reached your set internal temp. I did not use my Thermapro grill-temp probe along w/RecTec’s — w/my Traeger, that thing beeped all the time b/c the Traeger had such big temp swings, and I’d have to run outside every time it beeped so I could stop the beeping before it woke the neighbors. (I did use it though, along with an internal-temp probe, on another cook and it consistently registered grill temp of 10+ points higher than RecTec’s grill-temp reading, and sometimes a lot higher, like 50 degrees. But the wide variance in grill temp stopped about an hour into the cook).

Got a great instant-read today — Thermapen MK4 — which I should have bought at the outset. My old one was too small to read, much less read at night, and it was slow. And yes, I did probe the brisket, rested it in cooler, etc. HOWEVER, I did not wrap it (it was pouring down rain) so I’m hoping that was a huge factor in the moist/tender department. I’m also hoping I just got a sh*tty brisket. It was Angus, but not prime.

But ... my pork shoulder didn’t turn out nearly as well as on Traeger, either (though I’m much shorter on tips when it comes to pork butt, so please, if you have suggestions, I’m all ears). Made beef short ribs yesterday, spritzed, wrapped them at 165 (that was my best guess, anyway) in butcher (maybe I should have used foil?), and took off at 203; let rest an hour wrapped in towels in cooler. They were tough as nails. So I spritzed them again, wrapped back up in the existing butcher, and finished in oven at 250 for 2 more hours. That helped a lot. So ... anyhoo ... I don’t know. Maybe it’s the pellets. And it was hard to get a good read on the internal temp because the first RecTec probe flat-out died on me about 20 minutes into the cook (disappointing since it’s so new). I replaced it w/the second probe included w/the grill, augmented by my Thermapro, but after I wrapped them, I really had no idea where I was poking, so maybe I wrapped too early.

The other thing I’ve noticed (which may point to the pellets as the culprit) is the smoke produced by the Traeger smelled delicious whenever I lifted the lid. But the smoke produced by the Bull does not smell so very good. It sure isn’t thin and blue.

I’ve got a gorgeous, mammoth Wagyu brisket in the freezer calling my name but I’m terrified to even look at until I can cook at least one decent brisket on this dang Bull.

Here’s another Q for you — had any success with the "Amazin’ smoke tube"? I light mine w/blow torch until there’s a small flame and let it burn for 10 minutes, per the directions. And boy does it smoke. Tons of smoke. But it’s just billowy white acrid smoke, so I don’t use it. Pellet quality problem, maybe?

Many thanks.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like you have most everything. The wrapping and cambro is important. I use BBQers Delight pellets but there is a lot of info here in the pit. I use
                the tube often and it adds more smoke.
                fzxdoc below is good advise for the RECTec channel.
                I would practice on some more before that wagyu goes on!

Welcome to the Pit!

Head on over to the RecTec Channel here and look around. There are several topics on the RT Bull. And start your own topic there with a question. You'll get lots of help, I'm sure.

Here's the link to the Rec Tec Channel (Channels>Pellet Cookers>Rec Tec) :

Kathryn

Comment

• GirlGrilling
                GirlGrilling commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc, thanks. Followed your advice, and you were quite right. The feed back on pellet quality as well as "PID vs. old-school controllers" has been most helpful.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, I'm so happy to hear that, GirlGrilling . Not all of the experts here read the Introductions section, I'm guessing, so I was hoping you'd get a good response when you posted your concerns in the Pellet>RecTec section. You're going to love visiting this site. I learn something new each time I log on.

Kathryn

@ Mountain Smoker, thanks. Yes, the RecTec app does all that. It has an internal grill-temp probe built in which taps into the app, and an internal-temp probe that also taps into the app. The grill-temp probe reading generally corresponds to my thermapro probe, but only after about an hour into the cook. Before that, the thermapro shows the grill running a good bit hotter. The internal-temp probe matches up quite well w/RecTec’s probe.

As an aside, initially the RecTec app had no problem when I and my husband both ran the app at the same time. But after the first cook, it was a no-go. If he runs his app, mine goes kaput and has to be completely re-booted, re-paired up, everything re-set including temps, etc. And once I get mine up and running, his goes kaput. I’m starting to just begin to think it’s conceivable that my PID box might have gotten banged around too much in transit ... Heaven forbid the error lies with me!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                I realize the RT has it's own probes, but for $60-70 you can get the Maverick with probes to verify them. It is just a double check. Electrical things can go wompas before anything else. I would call RT to find out if you need to totally do a down load and upload of the App for your connection problem.

• GirlGrilling
                GirlGrilling commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I have a Smoke and used it to verify RecTec’s temps; sorry I was unclear about that. As I say, the internal meat temps match up just fine; the grill temp, not so much, until about an hour into the cook, when they sync up and stay that way. Will be calling the mellow men for help re simultaneous app use. Thank you.

I don't have a pellet pooper, so I can't address that, but it seems that going back to the Traeger Pellets would, at least, eliminate one possible culprit. The fact that your butts are a bit off to is a big hint.

Another suggestion is to just use meat temp as a guide. You want your probe to slip into the meat like a knife in room temp butter - just the barest hint of resistance at the most. Most here start checking around the time the leave in probe gets to 190* - 195*, and 5 or 10 degrees earlier for a Wagu because they seem to cook faster.

Oh, and welcome to The Pit.

Comment

• GirlGrilling
                GirlGrilling commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for welcome & suggestions, RonB. Unless pouring down rain, I use the Soo peanut-butter probe test. Don’t think probing is my problem so much as the danged smoke. Sure, I’ve got plenty of it — WAY more than the Traeger — but it’s not GOOD smoke. It’s acrid. It’s awful. (Was using those supplied by RecTec in its bundle.) Hopefully change in pellets will alleviate this problem. If not may try a mod back to original non-PID controller. Many thanks for Wagyu tip; didn’t know it cooked faster.

BTW, Welcome to the PIT from the LOU! I hope you get your Bull figured out, or at least figure out what in fact is wrong.

I only use pellets in tubes for cold smoking, but will soon try some of the competition mixes in said 12" tubes in conjunction with briquettes, starting with pork shoulders and ribs. I only use briquette and or wood fired cooks on pretty standard charcoal grills and weber kettles, but I do hack the be-joneses out of them. I can't help with pellet poopers.

I'm glad to see you here; we need some long-winded story tellers. I can get there now and then after a strong coffee or two.

Comment

• GirlGrilling
                GirlGrilling commented
                Editing a comment
                "We need some long-winded story-tellers." Bless you. You are very kind.

Welcome from California. You landed in the right place. I count myself lucky that my very first brisket was a huge success and I've only done one other since then, which did not turn out as well.

In regard to your brisket adventures - and I applaud that you keep working at it, can you describe where the brisket is coming up short of late? For instance, is it dryer, more or less bark?, smoke ring?, flavor?, uneven doneness?

Not that i haven't enjoyed your journey to BBQ and you may well find your answer right here, but I wager you will find even more answers in the BEEF sub-forum for your brisket concerns. Here's hoping you get your brisket game back on track.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

GirlGrilling - Welcome to the Pit from Huntsville, Alabama!

Sounds like you have a lot of experience and know what you are doing, but are just trying to perfect things on a new cooker.

My first thoughts are this:

1. Have you used another leave-in thermometer to check the accuracy of the ones that come with the Rectec? I use a Thermoworks Smoke (2 channel) and a Dot (1 channel). I would test both pit temperature using a probe that clips to the grate, and compare the meat temp to the meat temp displayed by the Rectec using a known good thermometer. Put your thermopro in there with a grate clip or a ball of foil to hold it about 1 inch above the grate, and see if you are REALLY cooking at the temperature you think you are.

2. Most pellet smokers produce more smoke at lower temperatures - 225 and less. Are you smoking at 225, or 250? I saw 250 mentioned at least once, but that was in reference to finishing in an oven.

3. I don't know anything about Rectec's pellets, but do know that all pellets are not created equal. I know that bbqrsdelight.com sells some great pellets, and that B&B sells rebranded BBQr's Delight pellets. If you have an Academy (sporting goods) nearby, they sell a 40# bag of the B&B Competition blend for $19.99. I would pick some of those up as a test if you have an Academy nearby.

Anyway, I don't use pellets personally, as I grill on gas or charcoal, and smoke with charcoal and wood, but I know we have a lot of folks here with pellet and Rectec experience, and we will help you get through this trouble spot.

I look forward to seeing some great cooks and pictures of them in the future! Welcome onboard!

Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here