Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Cajun who has everything but dumbfounded on bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Snoqualmie Wa.!

Comment

Welcome from Northern CA, thanks for the rubs

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

Welcome from Orlando! I’m smoking my first set of ribs this weekend. I’ll post the results & any beginner tips I’ve discovered. I learned about smoking so I could make Tasso. I hope to compare notes on that!

Comment

Originally posted by mrteddyprincess View Post
            Welcome to the Pitt! All that cooking you do is going to transfer right over into BBQ, and you've got one of the best cookers out there in the BGE, and the recipes, videos, and discussions on this site are incredibly helpful! You'll also find that this is a positive place where people encourage one another even when one makes mistakes, not to mention that the people here are about the nicest people one could hope to meet. Fire up that BGE and show us some pics of what you cook!
            I am so thankful for all the great advice, I admit, I am spoiled, I can walk into a local store and get some shrimp so big you kinda just have to kneel and pray to the bbq gods. I soak them in my spices and hit them on the BGE for a few mins and just peel away, or I get the propane burner out and do a traditional New Orleans BBq shrimp, a lot of butter, spices and beer, whew.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              so jealous!

• Anton32828
              Anton32828 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ll be over around 6ish. What kind of beer goes with your shrimp? I’ll bring some with me!

😂😂. If only!

Welcome from your neighbor in SE Texas. We have a big Cajun food influence here and I love it. Thanks for the recipes you posted, very generous of you.

We have shrimpers come to the clinic selling fresh shrimp all the time, bought 10 lbs on Friday. Gonna grill them and make shrimp stock out of the shells to use in a bisque later.

Comment

Hello from next door in Mississippi.

Comment

What kind of beer goes with your shrimp?

We have local breweries but any any amber will do

Dive into the simple and iconic Louisiana recipe with the Pot O’ BBQ Gulf Shrimp recipe from executive chef Chris Montero at the Napoleon House in New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by lostclusters View Post
                  I am with Mr. Bones ! BBQ is not really that tough and you are in the right place to learn. I am eager to see something on your jambalaya, and your taso.

I'll share a tip with you right now, although it is not BBQ specific:

The banner on the top of the screen has a tab on it called "Recent Post". Click on that and you will see what everyone is discussing, in the time frame you select. I usually select the last 24 hrs.

I'll share one more: you will need a good instant read digital thermometer and I would say you will need something to tell you what your cooker temperature is. This should not be a temperature gauge on your cooker as they are mostly inaccurate.

Welcome to the Pit from Southern California!
                  just arrived courtesy of Amazon. Its the instant read with the needle that folds up. Can even take your own temp. ha

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                    Cheers from Norway

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
                      What part of Louisiana you from? I spend a lot of time in Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and Shreveport on business, even the Big Easy every now and again.

Welcome to the Pit, from your neighbor in the Republic of Texallance !!!
                      I am from Scott La (Just a wee bit west of Lafayette, La) Boudin capital of the world, and it's true, some goooood stuff. We are not famous by any means for bbq, but our seafood and pork products, think fresh cracklins and boudin, truly amazing. We specialize in cooking whole hog in a cajun microwave, so easy. We have places around here that sell stuffed, split whole hog ready to go. If you ever pass down I-10 take the lafayette exit and look up Kirk Martins slaughter house, your pork on the grill was walking around that morning.
                      Look up Best Stop Scott, La and order some boudin online (they ship in dry ice).
                      Where I live, I went to my nephew's bday party today, 35 mins away and they are crabbing in the canals next to his house. Love this area, Cajuns never leave south La.

Comment

Originally posted by Elton's BBQ View Post
                        Welcome to the Pit!
                        Cheers from Norway
                        You the man, thank you from South Louisiana! Please share some of your secrets! We are all French here, old school French, so we have a way different approach than usual American cooking. A lot of sauces and braises, thanks!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                          Elton's BBQ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Look forward to see your recipies and way of bbq.

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
                        Welcome from Colorado, Lance ... you’re in good company here ...
                        Thanks so much, a lot of people from our area in South la avoid Mardi Gras and go to Colorado. They all love it there.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                          MBMorgan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, Colorado is pretty nice ... but I gotta say that I really enjoyed all the time I spent in your neck of the woods back when I was with Schlumberger ... based in Houston but frequently dispatched to Lafayette for days, weeks, and occasionally even months at a time.

Originally posted by NapMaster View Post
                        Welcome from South Louisiana!
                        Have family there, thank you for the welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by gcdmd View Post
                          Welcome from The Republic of Texas. You've come to the right place.

A suggestion: don't start with brisket; start with pork, either shoulder (butt) or ribs. There's plenty of reading material on the free part of this site to give you a good foundation before lighting up and plenty of advice here in The Pit from helpful, knowledgeable, and experienced folks.

Oh, and BTW, we have a great time here just hangin' out and swappin' tales. We take what we do seriously, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. We're the M.A.S.H. of BBQ.
                          Tip of my hat to you guys in TX. I can bbq pork fairly well on my Big Green Egg, it is Beef I am handicapped. I live in pork country ha.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here