Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the Saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the Saddle

As some of you have noticed, and perhaps some of you have rejoiced, I've been AWOL for some time. This was due to not having internet because of relocating. I was able to read AR on my phone, but didn't post much due to the PITA of a cell phone keyboard. I finally had internet installed at my new location, and am back in the saddle again. How about a song to go with it?

For those who appreciate the classic:

And for those who prefer classic rock:

Last summer I was able to secure a transfer back to the facility I was originally hired at in 2017, which was 100 miles from where I was living, so a move was in order. I was extremely fortunate to find a 20 acre farm located only 3 miles from town, so work and shopping are much closer as my other farm is 30 miles from town. I closed on the property at the end of July and spent most of my time working during the week and moving on the weekends. Although I still have internet at my original farm, I was too busy when there to post. Now that I have internet at my new location I can catch up. For those who followed the 2018 Farm Journal I promise to update it and put it to rest and look forward to a 2019 journal with two farms. Meanwhile, I have few hundred posts to catch up on at Share the Music. However to whet the appetite of the curious, here's an aerial of my new place:

Click image for larger version

Name:	New farm.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	625761

The rows you see on the right (East) are apple trees. I can safely say I have a lifetime supply of smoking wood literally at my front door! The house is the one with the light roof. Just to the NW of it is a giant hayshed. To the SW is an old warehouse for apples and a shop. To the SE is an equipment shed and two picker cabins. Due E is a large shop and a mobile home, where the previous owner's parents once lived. If it weren't for the fact we get cell service I could hide from Mrs. Numb for days! ;-) The green expanse to the left (West) is currently in hay. If all this wasn't good enough, Mrs. Numb agreed our housewarming gift would be a #12 Smithey. I was able to convince her because we have hundreds of quail on the property, much to her delight, and the logo of the pan is a quail. And speaking of birds, I slaughtered a pig yesterday. During the night coyotes took the guts and hide, leaving only the head behind. I saw a large bald eagle out there dining on it this morning, quite a sight.

im excited

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't decided if I'm a glutton for punishment or just plain crazy.

Personally I like Firesign Theater’s parady of Back from the shadows again. Welcome back. You moved? The farm?
    You believe in hard work.......Woody Guthrie.
    Last edited by FireMan; January 20, 2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Great to hear from you! This is great that you are back. I look forward to seeing your new digs! Congrats on the new job and the new wood source! I look forward to seeing some pictures in the new farm journal.

Comment

I'm glad you are back. It was, at times, uncomfortably numb while you were gone.

Comment

Very nice, can't wait to experience it all with you! Congrats! (I think)

Comment

Wow great to see you back in the saddle my friend !! Been wondering what the heck was going on. So two farms? Your empire continues to grow, are you now considered a gentleman farmer or are you going to sell the first one? Can't wait to see the Farm Journal and get caught up. Good to have you back !!!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Glad you found the post, it was your queries in the forum that prompted me to post it. I'll address your questions in the Farm Journal.

Whew, I'll call off the Rangers we sent to find you! Looking forward to CN Farmfest II! As an ex-Californian how do you like WA? We're always on the lookout for exit path.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Right on. I always thought Vancouver, WA would be almost ideal.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Craigar It is if you like city dwelling. However just 30 miles to the east and you're in beautiful country.
            Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; January 21, 2019, 10:02 AM.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Living in Mt Shasta we too take advantage of OR's 0% sales tax, but as you know CA is not known as a tax haven on any level. Probably on the 5 year plan right now, but that can change with the stroke of a Governor's pen.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; January 21, 2019, 03:26 PM.

Welcome back ComfortablyNumb ! Apple trees in Washington? Who knew? Ha! I can't wait to see your farm updates...X2.

Comment

Nice to have you back in that saddle, ComfortablyNumb . I really missed those Farm Journal posts. With two farms going full tilt, you should have plenty to post about, if you have the time, that is.

Kathryn

Comment

Looks like a great setup and having quail on your ground makes it all the better. Guarantee these girls would love that setup. Enjoy! Look forward to seeing your posts again!
              Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                Editing a comment
                Good looking girls! I brought two of mine, Annie Oakley and Belle Starr. The old farm belonged to Molly Brown, but she was up in years, not feeling well, and we felt would not like the move. So we felt it right she should stay and now has a permanent place on her farm.

Glad you're back, and that the move has gone well!

Comment

Congrats on the new place. Welcome back!

Comment

C.N., do you actively farm both properties and drive as well? I am jealous of your readily available apple wood (not jealous of the workload!). In Hood River I have an orchardist friend who lets me pull from the burn pile in the late spring. It's a lot of work, since the pile includes old mattresses, broken furniture, etc. But, it's perfect size for the KBQ. I spend the day pulling and cutting and tossing into the Safari. Remembered to bring gas and chain oil, but last year I forgot the drinking water. One of my sons-in-law is from a ranch near Omak, on the plateau above the Columbia. Are you near there?
                  Daniel

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    Editing a comment
                    The simple answer to your first question is 'Yes'. Your second question had me puzzled for a bit. There is a Columbia Ave in Omak just south of the Stampede Grounds, in fact the UPS Centre is on that street, however no plateau nearby. Then I realised you wrote 'the Columbia', so I am guessing you are referring to the river, which is the Okanogan River, it meets the Columbia in Brewster, about 30 miles to the south. If so, I would say there is a good chance, I'm on Pogue Flat near Duck Lake.

Good to have you back, CN. BTW, I couldn't get the links in your original post. Here is the Gene Autry song. BTW, Smiley Burnet had a small part in it. He was one of the best ever at physical comedy.

Last edited by gcdmd; January 21, 2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis