Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New smoker, new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New smoker, new member

Hi, I'm a new member here and new to smoking bbq. Just got a used weber smoker as i wanted to branch out from propane grilling and no longer be jealous of my friends and their slow cooked meats.
    I was recommended this site by a couple friends so i thought I'd check it out and hope to soak up all the knowledge needed to succeed in smoking amazing meats for my family and friends.

I'm about to attempt my first smoke of a pork shoulder and have no idea on rubs, amount of charcoal, time, and all that good stuff. Where should i start first in this forum?

thanks,
    Jimmy H.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Glad yer here, to learn along with me!

Probly th best place to start is tellin us what kinda Weber smoker ya have, then we can give more pertinent advice to ya...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 15, 2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

This may help your planning:

Thickness of meat determines cook time. On 10# four inch plus thick Boston Butts the cook time runs like this. 3 hours to 160, 6 hours to 180, and 3 hours to 200 for a total of 12 hours. Wrapping from 160 to 180 can cut that time in half.

Comment

• JimmyH
        JimmyH commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! I thought I'd be looking at 6-8 hours but i guess i need to start earlier in the morning. By wrapping, i presume you mean in foil (can you tell how new I am?)

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        JimmyH wrap it in a double layer of foil as tight as possible. It will also benefit, if you don’t wrap during the cook, by wrapping it and letting it rest in an ice chest for two hours with some old towels to fill up the space. Also, you might consider an overnight cook. Your cooker should be able to run unattended for eight hours.

I would start by following meatheads method word for word on pulled pork: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-pork-recipe

or at least red through it and formulate some questions from there. Lots of info and lots of stuff to do. But if you are good at following instructions, you can’t go wrong with meatheads method. As you smoke more you’ll get a feel for the methods and your cooker and modify from there. This is how I started off anyhow.

Comment

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead’s perfect pulled pork set me straight on my barbecue journey. Start here; follow directions; then try modifications.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        This!!! Follow this method for the best pulled pork you’ve ever had. Follow step-by-step - from trimming, to the rub (Memphis dust is awesome!), the cool, and service - this recipe nails it!

This is absolutely the best place to start for a rookie!

• ClayJones
        ClayJones commented
        Editing a comment
        I started at that recipe too, about a year ago. Welcome aboard! This place is an AMAZING source of BBQ information. I wish there was a resource like this for my job!

Welcome to The Pit from Houston! You’re on the right track to get started. The recipe pages are chock full of jumping off points to BBQ Nirvana! I really like Meathead’s Memphis Dust on all things Pork. I usually make up big batches of that and his Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR) to keep in my pantry for when the smoking mood strikes. Learning your cooker and it’s nuances is going to take time and be a crucial piece of your BBQ Journey. The best part is that the people here in the Pit have your back and are an absolute wealth of information. They’ve saved me from a cook gone wrong on more than one occasion! Good luck on your shoulder cook! And as we like to say around here, pics or it didn’t happen!

Comment

• JimmyH
        JimmyH commented
        Editing a comment
        Pictures! Yes! I hope I don't forget that. Is there a different forum/section for that?

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        There is usually a sticky topic for the "Show Us What You’re Cooking!" topic. It changes with the season, but is a great place to get inspired by other members and their cooks. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...11-2-fall-2018
        You could also start your own thread in the recipes, techniques, and food discussions section.

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
            Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
            Glad yer here, to learn along with me!

Probly th best place to start is tellin us what kinda Weber smoker ya have, then we can give more pertinent advice to ya...
            Hi Mr Bones! I hail from the Shenandoah valley, Virginia. I have a Smokey Mountain 18". Im sure it's more than big enough for an 8.5# pork shoulder but was planning size more for multiple rib racks in the future.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool Beans, Sir!

I have two 18.5's my dang self, an love em!!!
              It is a Mighty Lil Cooker! "cool:

Here's th official AR page on settin up yer WSM; there are countless other ways, includin Weber's own...

Start here, ask lotsa questions, as needed, an Have Fun!

1) Any rub. Really. Not saying it doesn't matter, but rather, they're all pretty good. I've mixed rubs together and been happy with the result.

2) Look up "snake method" for charcoal and lighting.

3) You didn't ask, but I use apple wood, cherry wood, or hickory for pork. Honestly I can't really tell the difference, the predominant flavor is always pig.

4) Welcome! This is easily the friendliest forum on the internet!

Comment

• JimmyH
              JimmyH commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the pointers. I did forget about wood. Will add rubs and snake method to my research. Thank you!

Originally posted by Donw View Post
            Welcome from Maryland
            Thanks! I was born and raised in PG County, MD.

Comment

• smn1285
              smn1285 commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too! And I’m still here.

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome aboard. Just remember that when you apply rub you have to hum! Eat good and have fun!

Comment

• JimmyH
                JimmyH commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha! my wife will think I'm crazy.

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                JimmyH Like she won’t already! Modern conveniences and yer cookin’ outside with fire. LOL
                Welcome to the club.
                The results will silence the critics. ;-)

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here