Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings y'all from NW Arkansas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings y'all from NW Arkansas!

My name is Brent, and I'm an amateur BBQ cook in the Northwest Arkansas area. I picked the hobby up from a friend about 10 years ago, and have been a fan of AmazingRibs for a lot of those years. Life took a few turns a while back and the smoker ended up parked for a few years. This past weekend I rolled her out again and scraped the rust off of my skills and my smoker and tried a couple of racks of ribs.

I've joined up with the Pitmaster Club because those skills didn't just automatically return, not that I was ever an expert. Did a couple of competitions and placed middle of the road. I'm not looking to compete beyond the friendly neighborhood level, but I do want to put the best meat on the table that I can. So here I am.

I'm hoping to find myself in a friendly community where I can find help that doesn't judge for stupid questions or look down on a guy that can't necessarily afford top of the line gear. This looks like the place. I'm just a regular middle-aged working stiff whose family loves his BBQ and I want to make it the best I can.

I look forward to getting to know a few folks and learning a ton about stepping up my technique. This weekend's ribs may have only been a 6 out of 10, but they were enough to re-light my fire and love for the hobby and all aspects of it. I have agreed to do a small competition locally with no prize money, just a people's choice judging to benefit charity. I have until October 19th to prepare, practice, and upgrade some accessories.

So, good to be here. Thanks for reading this.

Happy smoking!

Brent

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up! Don't worry, there are no 'dumb' questions here. We all started somewhere, all that matters is we all want to get better at BBQ and help others along the way! If you would like help with your rib game, give this article a quick look. We also have a ton of other rib recipes, right here!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Brent, welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Welcome Brent. There are no stupid questions around here! Often enough, what looks like one turns out to stimulate some thinking and creativity!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Brent ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Brent. What smoker do you have, and what's your plan for the friendly comp? We can help you get up to speed quicker if we know what you have and what you want to cook. How many you are cookin' for would also help.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                Welcome to The Pit Brent. What smoker do you have, and what's your plan for the friendly comp? We can help you get up to speed quicker if we know what you have and what you want to cook. How many you are cookin' for would also help.
                Well, I have been using an old Brinkmann SmokeN'Pit Pro that a friend gave me years ago and I restored myself. I'm about to upgrade though, and in fact I bought an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn reverse flow that should arrive today. Not top of the line but a step up I can afford. For the competition I have to cook "at least ten pounds of the meat of my choice". I'm probably going to put up spare ribs. It's my forte, and it doesn't require me to be up most of the night smoking something bigger. Don't know how many people will show up as it's just something my pastor friend has put together. Mostly friends and family but I'm guessing 40 or 50 max and I have to provide an approx. 2oz sample to each. I'm guessing that will require 2 or 3 ribs depending on the cut. It just occurred to me how many racks that is. I may have to stay up all night after all!

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  An average rack of baby backs is about 2 lbs without loin meat attached. And a full rack is 13 bones. That means that one bone with meat attached is a little over 2 oz., so your samples should be safe with 1 bone. 4 racks should give you the 50 samples, but you might want to cook extra just in case.

• Brentaustin
                  Brentaustin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good to know Ron, Thanks man! I may plan on at least 2 per though. Don't want to appear TOO stingy in a people's choice judging.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Plus, you might not want to serve the ends, so cut off a couple bones on either end? STLs have 2-3 small bones on one end you wouldn't want to serve in a comp.The possibilities are endless.

Welcome to the pit Brent! Glad you joined!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! With BBQ it is have fun and enjoy the food.

Comment

Welcome from us over here in Scotland! Pull up a virtual seat, a real beer and enjoy the crac

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to seein more from ya, good luck with yer cookoff!

Comment

Welcome from Southern Oregon

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here