Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there

Hi I'm Paul from London, UK.

About a year ago I bought a big green egg which has been parked in my backyard idling at best cooking the occasional chicken, burger and sausage.

As the winter starts to roll in I've decided to knuckle down and learn how to use it properly and cook myself some super tasty BBQ.

I'm curious if you were going to pick the top three to five essential BBQ dishes that I should learn what would they be?

Cheers

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from Texas!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up! Your BGE is a formidable foe to the winter cold, my friend! If I was going to have you learn three meats, It would be pork shoulder (Pulled pork). They are easy to cook, forgiving and it will give you time during the cook to get a feel for how your BGE will run. They can also take the heat better than most cuts, so exact temps are not the most important thing. This is great for anyone learning the ins and out of a cooker. Second, would be ribs, easy, fast and who doesn't love ribs?!? Third, I would move on to chicken, it is cheap and you can cook it hot and fast or low and slow. This gives you a wide range of cooking temps to master.

Additionally, I would check out Taming the Savage Kamado. This is a great thread that goes into depth on how to master your kamado. This thread was a game changer for me when I was learning the ancient ways of the kamado!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Maryland!!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Paul ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from the USA! I cook on a Large BGE and here is my top five list of low and slow cooking In order of first to last.
                1. Pork shoulder or Boston Butt - I would cook this one at 225 as often as necessary to master temperature control. It is a very forgiving piece of meat, so you don’t have to fear ruining it. What you are after is controlling your temperature at 225. Put some marking on the bottom vent 1/4” to 1/2” apart. It will help you when setting your temp.
                2. Baby Back Ribs
                3. Spare ribs - preferably St. Louis cut.
                4. A lamb shoulder
                5. A brisket - the point or a whole packer. Don’t get a whole packe larger than 12 pounds. avoid a flat if you can.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. That is a rough question to answer as almost anything prepared with a taste of smoke can be fantastic. My most common and popular cooks in no particular order are beef ribs, pork ribs, brisket, pulled pork (North and South Carolina styles) and Baltimore Pit Beef. But I’ve also learned to turn out a decent goat or lamb dish too.

Comment

Welcome to the pit. This as a fantastic place. My 3 would be, in no particular order, ribs, shoulder and brisket. Brisket is the toughest one to master, in my opinion. Following the recipes and directions on this site will get you there though. Fire it up!

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And don't forget chuck roast as brisket's poorer and more forgiving cousin (about like pork butts in terms of finicky-ness).

Hi Paul, welcome to the Pit!
                    I agree with Spinaker, pork shoulder for pulled pork is a great start for a long cook and getting comfortable with your rig. Chicken for a short cook. Ribs in there somewhere. I did my first brisket a couple of weeks ago, following tips from the amazing contributors here, and it turned out better than I had hoped. Looking forward to hearing of your BBQ adventures.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I generally find a spatchcocked chicken done 325-350F an almost mindless, but always satisfying, meal. Indirect of course.

Welcome to The Pit.

I'd also start with a Boston Butt, (US name). The front shoulder is where it comes from. That's an easy and very forgiving cook. It should be cooked low and slow. It may be called shoulder blade roast on your side of the pond.

A chuck roast, (US name), is also an easy longer cook - similar to a butt, but usually goes a bit higher in temp to be probe tender. This may be called braising steak for you.

Chicken cooks well with a live fire, but it's not easy to get the skin crisp. Cook it hot and fast and it will taste very good, and if you remove it when the breast is around 160* F, it should be very moist. It only has to maintain that temp for a few seconds to be considered safe in the US.

These will get you started with pork, beef, and fowl. You can add ribs, brisket, and other things after you get comfortable with the above.
                    Last edited by RonB; September 18, 2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                      Looks like ya got some great advice, already, so Smoke On!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Madison, WI. My first 2 would be pulled pork, and ribs. Pay attention to what your cooker is teaching you and this is going to be big fun and great eating!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! And once you've master meat you can move onto things like pizza and bread!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here