Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Orlando, FL from someone fairly new to cooking real BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Orlando, FL from someone fairly new to cooking real BBQ

Hello! I've been grilling steaks and brats most of my adult life, but never tried to smoke meat until recently. The most ambitious thing I ever did on a grill until recently was set up my Weber for dual-zone cooking of a Christmas roast beef when our oven died one Christmas day! It turned out fine, even though I was improvising.

I've been a fan of Cajun and Creole cooking for a long time. I've recently become dissatisfied with ordering things like Andouille and Tasso online, so I want to make my own. I started with two experimental batches of Tasso which turned out OK, but not great. That's why I decided to join this forum --- to hopefully connect with some folks who can point me in the right direction.

I've read many of the free articles on this website. Thanks for writing them, they are very helpful. I've picked up a Slow & Sear and a pit thermometer set, so I think I'm on the verge of full-on BBQ addiction.

See you on the forum!

Equipment: Weber charcoal grill, Slow-N-Sear, Maverick ET-732 thermometer

You need to go thataway! Good start in the equipment category. You’re in for some fun. One piece of advise, use this site, I mean work it to death & you will have a blast. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. FireMan is correct - use this site - A. Lot.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Off to a good start! Welcome!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. You have come to the right place. I am amazed almost daily with the knowledge these members are so willing to share.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Anton is my given name. You are only the third person I’ve run across with the name.

Comment

• Anton32828
                  Anton32828 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Anton! In my case, it's my middle name, from my grandfather. Your profile indicates you may know a thing or two about Tasso! I may ask you for advice soon, if you don't mind.

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  While I haven’t made any, I do have a few recipes for Tasso. My grandfather and father’s given names were Anton.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome th Th Pit
                Glad to have ya here, sounds like ya got a good start on equipment...

Comment

• Anton32828
                  Anton32828 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Equipment: I'm trying to start out fairly minimalist. Stick with the trusty Weber, and buy a few pieces of gear, such as the slow n sear, to let it serve as a smoker. I'm following the advice from Meathead's Weber article so far. Thanks Mr Bones!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @Anton328228 In my experience, it's always best to stick purty close to home, i.e; basic cooker (I have a few, I'll warrant ya), an learn yer cooker inside, n out!
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 23, 2018, 01:00 AM.

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are on the right track. Weber, SnS, and the folks in here will feed your addiction!

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina

Comment

Welcome from Pensacola!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you. Stick around my friend. You are set in the equipment category save a good instaread thermometer perhaps. Good for now anyway.

Comment

• Anton32828
                      Anton32828 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks HouseHomey! Yes, I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy a lot of gear up front (though it's tempting). I'm following the advice of Meathead's Weber article. So far, I'm happy with the set-up.

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up! Please let us know if you would share any of those Creole recipes with us! BBQ and Creole would make an awesome fusion dish!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
                      • To check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
                      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

• Anton32828
                        Anton32828 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’ll definitely post recipes. Thanks Spinaker.

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We would love that. Thanks! Anton32828

Welcome to the Pit from TN. Weber's are my go to (other than the Pit Barrel Cooker). The SnS is a great tool. You can't go wrong with that combo in my opinion. I've had many great cooks using them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here