Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy from MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy from MN

Evening, great web site here.
    Been doing a lot of grilling and a little BBQ'ing, and while I like my Weber Summit grill, it just doesn't BBQ as well as a dedicated smoker will, so we bought a Camp Chef 24" propane smoker and have done a few things on it but want to start using it more, and with better results.
    Retired HVAC tech now so I have more time for things like brisket and really want to try burnt ends, they look dynamite.

Tried to do a 11# Pork roast in the smoker last week but at 5:30 am when I got up to start it, it was 20 degree's out and snowing, ended up in the oven.
    I check the weather forecast a bit closer now.

Been picking up a lot of info here and hope someday to return the favor.
    Al

Welcome from the Charleston, SC area!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Eden Prairie, MN!! Good to see fellow Minnesotans around here. I try to smoke in every weather condition we get in Minnesota. If you get a good wireless thermometer, you can smoke all year round. I have something on my smoker at least once a week in the winter here. It works great, plus it forces you to master your pit in challenging environments, which is not difficult with "The Pit" at your disposal. I think that CS 24 should work well in the winter months. Hope to hear more from you. Happy you are here!! SKOL!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        Welcome to The Pit from Eden Prairie, MN!! Good to see fellow Minnesotans around here. I try to smoke in every weather condition we get in Minnesota. If you get a good wireless thermometer, you can smoke all year round. I have something on my smoker at least once a week in the winter here. It works great, plus it forces you to master your pit in challenging environments, which is not difficult with "The Pit" at your disposal. I think that CS 24 should work well in the winter months. Hope to hear more from you. Happy you are here!! SKOL!!!!!!

Thanks HC.

Mpls here, so we're dealing with the same temps, I haven't tried the CS in below 50 weather yet but will soon.
        I picked up the Maverick 733 after reading about it here, been using a bi metal and cheap electronic one and they never agreed on temps.
        Can't help much on BBQ, but maybe I can on HVAC and glad to help if I can fwiw.

Skol to you too, a bit of Scandinavian here?

I wonder what BBQ'd Danish pastries would taste like?...er..maybe not.
        Merry Christmas to all.
        Last edited by AllenW; December 19, 2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit AllenW! Thank you for the support. How's that 24" CC treating you? That's a nice sized unit for sure. I wish they made a charcoal unit that size, looks like you can actually get full racks of ribs in it without jamming and cramming.

I have some HVAC questions for you. Know anything about the Amana Air Command 90? Mine is acting up....probably a discussion for a different forum though...

Since this is one of your first posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Hey there, welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Allen

Comment

Weather, what's weather? Welcome aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                  Welcome to The Pit AllenW! Thank you for the support. How's that 24" CC treating you? That's a nice sized unit for sure. I wish they made a charcoal unit that size, looks like you can actually get full racks of ribs in it without jamming and cramming.

I have some HVAC questions for you. Know anything about the Amana Air Command 90? Mine is acting up....probably a discussion for a different forum though...

Since this is one of your first posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Sent ya a PM, glad to help if I can.

Just starting using the CS, ya it has plenty of room, did a rack of spare ribs a bit ago and the ribs almost looked lonely in it.

Will check the homework section, thanks.

Comment

Hi Allen, Welcome to you from Houston, Alaska. As a former Minnesotan, cold weather smoking and grilling is second nature. Persevere and you will be rewarded as we have. If you wait until "good" weather here, in Alaska, you never get a darn thing done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here