Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Colorado

I found this site to have loads of info so I signed up. About me, years ago I bought a cheapo charcoal smoker and tried it a few times with poor results. Then 10 - 15 years later picked up a propane smoker. That unit worked fine however it needed constant tending to. The temps would vary way to much with any wind.

Now after becoming disabled, I find it hard to always be on top of that propane smoker. I decided my love for smoking was too great so I got an electric smoker, MES 30. Its not quite as good but it works. Set the temp, shove some chips in now and then and keep an eye on food temps.

I have done beef and pork ribs, pork butts and brisket. The brisket I am still trying to master, practice make perfect.

Welcome Gherrmann! We're glad you're here.

When you get a minute check out the Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature (tip #1) with your equipment. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of your equipment and your cooks.

Comment

Right on Gherrmann - whatever works for you (and tastes good). I have had a spinal fusion a few years ago and getting up and down over and over is tough for me also.

Read up on all of the techniques from the pros here to save time on the "babysitting" of your cooker.

The wife got me a good thermometer (Maverick ET-733) that monitors your cooker temp and your meat in the cooker remotely so I can stay put on the recliner with a cold one instead of hovering over the cooker monitoring temps.

I often smoke on my gas grill with one of those little chip boxes or a homemade foil pouch -- it can really spoil you just turning a knob up and down for temp control. I am just now really learning how to properly use coals with the help of the peeps here, but with each fail comes a bit of knowlege. "Once burnt, lesson learnt" as we say here in the Lowcountry of SC.

Welcome and enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the site!! Always glad to see another High Altitude cooker on the site. I too am in Colorado and have cooked on electric cookers in my past, they work great. As I always say, and learned from this site, that if you control your heat and control your meat you will have good results.

Comment

Welcoem gherrmann! Glad to have you aboard. Do you still have your charcoal smoker and electric? Can we help you revisit the old beasts and breath new life into them and the techniques needed for them?

Comment

Huskee, the old charcoal smoker is long gone. The gas and electric are still operating along with a Webber silver grill. The gas smoker I am going to give to my son when he moves back out.

tomtel84... I have found that the altitude can really mess with cooking times along with the Colorado wind and sudden temp changes.

Thanks for the welcomes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here