Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Northern Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Northern Virginia

I’m Britt and I’m a BBQholic.

After 22 years in the U.S Navy as a Naval Aviator, I retired in 2007. My retirement gift was a Traeger Texas 075 and BBQ became a passion. Over the past 10 years I’ve spent a lot of time learning, practicing and feeding my BBQ obsession.

I grew up and went to school in the great BBQing state of Texas. After graduating from The University of Texas, receiving my commission in the Navy and marrying an amazing Texas woman, we literally traveled and lived around the world. Both our sons were born overseas (Rota, Spain & Keflavik, Iceland) and grew up in the nomadic life of a military family. My last position in the Navy was in the DC-area and that's where we stayed so our boys could start and finish high school without having to be uprooted…again. Since I had to fund my post-Navy BBQ obsession (oh and my kid’s college), I was fortunate enough to get hired by the Department of Defense in a research and development position. It’s a great job that pays the bills and usually gives me enough time to experiment with BBQ. Sometime in the near future we hope to really retire, move away from the concrete jungle and get a place in the country with trees, a stream and a patio big enough for all my BBQ gear.

It has been a real pleasure getting involved in the BBQ community. I’ve met, virtually and in person, a wide variety of awesome people who are willing to help others and are genuinely nice folks. It’s great having a hobby where you can eat your successes and failures. Fortunately I’ve had more BBQ successes than failures, but I’m still working on perfecting the holy grail of Texas BBQ…the brisket.

I’m a bit of a geek and an early adopter of technology (much to the disappointment of my wife and bank account) and I've carried that in to my BBQing. I guess that makes me a Techno-Qer. My newest tech cooking device is an Anova WiFi Sous Vide immersion circulator. It was a great Christmas gift and we’ve had fun taking recommendations from the Pitmaster forum to make sous vide/BBQ creations. For the Super Bowl, we had great success with sous vide/smoked/grilled chicken wings with a blackberry chipotle glaze.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sous_wings.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	273955Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke_wings.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	273956Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill_wings.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	273957Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings_glaze.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	273958

I’ve been fortunate to be a volunteer with Operation BBQ Relief (OBR). This is an amazing organization and it’s awesome that this site is such a big supporter of OBR. Last year I deployed with OBR supporting West Virginia flood victims. Making BBQ and serving it to people in need was extremely rewarding and an experience I won’t forget. The OBR and local volunteers were remarkable and I had the privilege to meet and work alongside BBQ superstar Tommy Houston from Checkered Pig BBQ. I highly recommend anyone who is interested find a way to get involved with OBR.

Howdy and I look forward to my time here in The Pit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4146-hi.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	273959
    Attached Files

Welcome from upstate New York, T-bone

Comment

T-bone Howdy yersself, an' Welcome to th' Pit!!! Many thanks fer yer Service! (Seabee x 8 yrs here )
      Lookin' forward t' some Sea Stories, n' cookin' ones, as well!
      Also, please tell me more about th' blackberry chipotle glaze! (I have th' 'clearance', believe ya' me) ;-)
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 11, 2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank ya as well, Sir. I’m happy to share about the glaze. It's more than 300 characters so I'll post it as a reply.

Welcome to the pit from Sterling VA!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Northern CA. I see a picture of you and Meathead. Which one is you? HA! It's good to have you here. I'm looking forward to reading about some of your recipes.

Comment

And a welcome from Leesburg, VA, too!

Glad to see you here, and thank you for all your service!

Comment

Welcome T-bone

Comment

Mr. Bones asked about the Blackberry Chipotle Glaze so here it is...

We didn’t follow a recipe so there’s not really measurements. Just a little bit of this…a little bit of that…taste…repeat as required.

The components were: seedless blackberry preserves, good red wine (we used a merlot because that’s what we had open), chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (peppers and sauce blended into a puree), dijon mustard, 1 shallot & a couple of garlic cloves diced finely and sautéed up in EVOO, a generous sprinkle of T-Bone’s Secret BBQ Rub (it’s a similar taste profile to BBBR), a dash or two of worcestershire, and fresh lemon juice. Mix together over low heat and reduce to a glaze.

Comment

T-bone , Many thanks, Amigo!

I mostly don' measure, nohow!

Cookin' should be pleasurable, like great sex, not aggravatin' like an unsolvable calculus problem...

JMO/Y'sMMV

Comment

• T-bone
                    T-bone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Anytime, Shipmate! You're definitely right about cookin' and aren't all calculus problems unsolvable?

Welcome to The Pit T-bone! We’re glad you joined! Thanks for introducing yourself and for your service to others! I enjoyed reading your intro and the pics.

Please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                  1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                  2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Greetings, Britt ... welcome aboard ...

Comment

T-bone, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                      Enjoy "The Pit"!
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from another Virginian.

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here