Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allow me to introduce myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted to do something this weekend. So I bought me a shoulder yesterday. Boston butt in honor of the boys in blue who kept the peace in Beantown at such a critical time.
    Attached Files

Comment

Started by trimming the fat, isolating the money muscle, and cleaning around the horn.
      Attached Files

Comment

Injected with apple, vinegar, and soy -- then patted it dry and added the spice rub.
        Attached Files

Comment

After that, it was getting the grill and wood chips ready. No pictures of that. Put the meat on and after two hours it was already up to 150 so I opened it up to check the color. Not bad.

Pulled it off and wrapped it tightly in foil with about a quarter cup of apple, soy, and maple syrup mixture.

Put it back on the grill to finish in the foil.
          Attached Files

Comment

Now it's on the cusp of being ready to come off. One of the faster cooks I've ever done despite keeping the target grill temp at 225 the whole time. This was the status report at 1:00 pm and the pork went on the grill at 9:00 am.
            Attached Files

Comment

looking awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
                looking awesome!
                Thanks -- for the first fifteen minutes of the cook, right after I threw the chips on, there was so much smoke it looked like there was a wildfire on my street.

Comment

It's looking good!

Comment

After internal temp reached 195, I pulled it off, based it with a little sauce, and re-wrapped tightly -- first in foil and then in towels -- before moving to a cooler. Here it is before re-wrapping.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• kmhfive
                      kmhfive commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very nice!

My cook today was supposed to be a 12-hour, easy, slow cook.

Turned out differently.

Started with a 7.5 lb butt from Publix.

Trimmed a lot of the surface fat then injected with apple, soy, vinegar mix. After that applied rub and let it rest in a black garbage bag overnight.

At six o'clock the next morning, I lit my coals and set my temp controller for 200. At 6:38 the meat went on.

Attached Files

Comment

It cooked at 200 for a long time. Here it is after five hours.

Attached Files

Comment

Shortly after that picture was taken, the meat temp stalled at 155 degrees, which lasted from one to two pm. At which point, I increased the temp to 250.

Within an hour I was up to 165 - great! But then it took another four hours to come up to 185.

At that point I pulled, glazed, and rested the money muscle. Just so my wife and her brother who is staying with us could have something to eat by 7:30.

It ended up being a big hit.

While the money muscle was resting, I wrapped the remainder of the butt and cranked the temp up to 400.

​​​​​​
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SMOKIN; September 13, 2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

By the time the money muscle was done resting, the rest of the butt was up to 195, so I pulled, glazed, and rested it.

In the end, it turned out to be very satisfying. But it still felt like a battle against the clock (and our stomachs).

Last time it cooked way faster than I expected. This time way slower. It's like these things have minds of their own, and they're all different.

Look forward to the next one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The result looks great!

Comment

Welcome from Florida and congrats on the BGE.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here