Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allow me to introduce myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice t' meet ya, SMOKIN , sounds like yer off on a grand adventure!

Lookin' forward t' learnin' with, an' from ya!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Las Vegas.

Comment

I agree with TFC on using Meathead's Memphis Dust. It is outstanding and the only rub I've ever used on pork butts.

Comment

SMOKIN Hello, welcome to the group and to the Big Green Egg addiction. I agree that a pork butt is the perfect first low & slow cook and Meathead's Memphis Dust is a great pork rub, and it's easy enough to make a big batch.

I would recommend holding off on the temp controller, at least for now & learn to control temps on your egg manually, you'll find that once your temp has settled in, the egg will hold it for a long, long time. I've had my BGE for over 4 years and don't have a temp controller.

I would get a good instant read thermometer (i.e. thermapen or thermopop) and a good remote thermometer to monitor your pit and meat temps (i.e. Thermoworks Smoke or Maverick). You can get both of those for less than a temp controller. (spend the rest of your cash on meat and cook, cook a lot. Try new recipes new foods and techniques above all have fun with that new egg!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! For off the shelf rub I like Famous Dave's rib rub. It is very good on pork shoulders. But I would very highly recommend Meathead's Memphis Dust.

Comment

... I'm a man of wealth and fame. Some might call me Lucifer ...

Comment

Welcome to the pit SMOKIN , enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ

Comment

SMOKIN this is a good go to rub for out of the box as far as pork goes. It will work for dry brining. It will also work on chicken and ribs.

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

Welcome SMOKIN from Minnesota. Enjoy the The Pit and your BGE! Check out "The Ceramic Grill Store" for some more accessories sometime.

Comment

Welcome Smokin! And congrats on your ft. 2 uses in 2 years, your good fortune.

Enjoy!!!

Comment

Welcome from Toccoa, GA. GO FALCONS! GO DAWGS! LOL.

Comment

Turned out pretty good! Wish I could say the same for the Falcons, but at least no one at my house went hungry.

Here is how it went:

Got my butts from Publix on Saturday.

Took them home, and unwrapped them, trimmed off all of the excess fat on the outside, and worked around the shank, removing all of the fat and exposing as much meat as possible.

Injected them with a combination of apple juice, apple vinegar, pineapple juice, and soy sauce -- then covered them with kosher salt and Mr. Meathead's Memphis Dust.

Wrapped them tightly in a contractor clean-up bag, and let them rest in the fridge overnight.

Got the egg going before bed and stabilized the temperature at 250 with plenty of fuel.

Woke up Sunday morning and checked the egg -- lowered the temperature to 225 and added cherry, pecan, and apple chips.

Threw the butts on at 8:00 AM with a water pan full of watered-down apple juice and a couple of chips.

Then just left them alone. Didn't open the lid. Didn't take their temperature. Until around 1:00 PM (picture below).

By then, the internal temperatures were 160 and 155, and they were looking pretty good. Took them off, wrapped them tightly in foil with a little apple juice and apple vinegar, and moved them back to the egg with the temperature set to 250.

Let them stay on the grill until 3:30 PM when both the internal temperatures reached 195. Then wrapped them in towels and moved them into a faux cambro until 6:00 PM.

At that point, there were ready to pull and serve. Added the excess juices from the foil to the pan, and that gave the meat some added flavor and moister. Got a lot of compliments -- and questions about the rub. People seemed to like the sweetness.

Overall -- great experience. Look forward to cooking again -- hopefully soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_124849-800x600.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	271959

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X
                                false
                                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                                false
                                false
                                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                                Yes
                                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here