Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Italy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Italy!

Hey everyone, my name is Davide (I go by David among non-Italians, it's just easier), I'm from Italy and I'm a total newbie to outdoor cooking. I'm a pastry chef by trade, I've worked in fine dining both in Italy and the UK, and last year I opened a small deli-style take-away food shop (think ravioli and lasagna, not sliced meats) in the Italian hills where I was born.

I've been cooking most of my meat at home using sous vide for years (in addition to professionally, obviously), without ever really considering grilling or barbecuing. I found out about Meathead and AR when they first collaborated with ChefSteps a while back (comparing pork ribs cooked both styles): I started poring over the website and ultimately got hooked, even from a purely theoretical, food-science-y point of view. (Incidentally, I find it very interesting that this community is currently going through the exact opposite path of coming to terms with sous vide. I've been learning a lot just by reading the public comments on the website.)

Shortly after that I had my first taste of "American" BBQ, or as close to that as you can get in London, anyway, and even just that was enough to blow my silly little Italian mind. The closest I got to a proper experience is probably the Arrogant Swine in Brooklyn about a year ago (props to the staff, who charmingly put up with a random dude coming in at 5 PM on a Tuesday in November and demanding meat...). I dream of making a barbecue-themed (and whiskey-, and country ham-, and seafood-, and...) pilgrimage to the Southern US, but with a new business getting off the ground the reality of no time and no money has me beat. For now.

Anyway, I knew that with the post-holiday slump that every food business faces I'd have a little free time, so I got myself a Weber kettle and a leave-in digital probe as a belated present and started practising. And while my winter definitely can't compare to what you folks in the American East Coast or Midwest are experiencing, so far all my cooks have been well below freezing. Not all of Italy is sunny and warm

I cannot overstate how helpful the website has been to me. With ZERO experience in outdoor cooking (I hadn't so much as lit a match in... what, ten years?) I started making tasty food from day one. (Well, day three, since I did my homework and did a couple of dry runs first.) Chicken legs, ribs, sausages all came out cooked properly and spot on time (well, I'm still slow and clumsy in lighting up and getting the kettle clean and up to temp, but the actual cook time was as expected), with no stress and no fuss. Of course they're far from great, but that's what the next few years are for, and it's already stuff I'm happy to eat and serve my family and friends!

Last night I did my first "long" cook: (half a) pork butt with Meathead's Memphis Dust. I started it stupidly late (it was already getting dark) because of force majeure reasons, but decided to forge ahead anyway and chalk it up to experience.

I let the coals burn a bit high (closer to 120C/250F), hit 65 C internal in about 5 hours and cut off a few slices with a nice roast-like bite to them, then wrapped it and let it ride for another 3 hours or so, and pretty much gave up around 1 AM. The darker-muscled sections were juicy and nicely pullable, while there was a lot of leaner whiter meat that ended up a bit on the dry side, but overall I'm ridiculously happy with the result (and like I said, the delay was 100% expected for starting a butt at 4 PM). Especially in a steamed bun, with fermented hot sauce, pickles and plum sauce, all homemade. Pictures below!

So in short, thanks Meathead and all the staff here for putting out there so much reliable information presented so clearly. Speaking as a professional cook, it boggles my mind how easy AR makes it for anyone to take up the basics of this technique, when most training (even aimed at pros) is a lot more hit and miss and confused. Great stuff. I cannot wait to get out there again!

Butt after 5 h @ 120C/250F

Click image for larger version

Name:	Butt out.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	262556

Nicely sliceable

Name:	Sliced.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	262557

After 3 more hours in foil

Name:	Pulled.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	262558

In a steamed bun!

Name:	Buns.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	262559

Benvenuto a The Pit!

Comment

Welcome dtassinari

Comment

Ciao, Davide ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois. Nice introduction.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Davide.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. It is a fun place to be.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit dtassinari! Thanks for the support and nice to have you here. I enjoyed your introduction and pictures.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                  1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                  2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• dtassinari
                    dtassinari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the warm welcome and for the advice! Looking forward to engaging with this great community.

We look forward to your adventures. It's always great getting the perspective of someone coming from a different cooking culture, because you'll see things we don't!

Comment

Welcome from California!

Comment

Welcome dtassinari . I enjoyed your intro! Welcome and enjoy The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Baltimore, Maryland! Great introduction!

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

Benvenuto! Don't worry about "overshooting" 225. A lot of us here cook at that temp... or 250 or 275 without missing a beat. It depends on your cooker, and how much time you have until the dinner bell rings.

Also, check out the Slow N Sear for your Weber kettle.

I studied abroad outside of Lugano for a semester. Switzerland and Italy are my favorite countries!

Comment

• dtassinari
                              dtassinari commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you! I wasn't worried about the temperature too much, but it's nice to hear it.

I've had my eye on a SNS for more than a year, but sadly European prices are a LOT higher for everything (can you believe a Weber Original 22" kettle is more than 250 USD?), so that's going to have to wait...

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here