Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday Boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome, I got me a shot glass from Weed, pretty cozy town

Comment

I would do a dry run or two just to test how to get your settings dialed in for your temp. Then I would take that roast and would go for it. The biggest problem I had with the Vision grill at first was getting it not to overshoot my desired temp. Getting it back down to temp once you overshoot it can be difficult to get back down. While at first you may find that to be bothersome, after a couple of times using it you will realize how nice the problem is. It is nothing more than proof of it's efficiency. I have read the same thing about the BGE for first time users. It is easily remedied by just learning the vent settings on your unit. Now, regardless of whether the outside temp is 27 degrees out or 110 - I put the vents to the same place for 220, to another place for 250, to another for 275 etc. No variation. On my stick burners, I'm always adjusting based upon weather, wood food load, etc. They hold a nice temp once I get them to where I want them, but no two cooks are identical as far as vent placement. You are going to love it - and that roast on it if you decide to go for it.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The constant settings for the vents have been my experience too. Well, maybe just a very small difference. BGE doesn't take much fiddling for temp control once you've got the feel for it.

lWeed You are truly blessed with a girlfriend and an egg. I have a Large BGE which in my opinion does low and slow set it and forget it best. On your maiden voice I would suggest a Boston Butt. It is the most forgiving piece of meat out there. I have yet to get a bad one on my Egg. If you don't have one you will need to get a heat defuser or find a way to improvise to shield you food from the direct heat. I like to sleep, so I would recommend cooking at 225 with or without a water pan overnight. Once the temperature is stabilized you can sleep through the night. When the internal temp reaches 200, pull the butt and wrap it in double foil and hold it in an ice chest with old towels for a couple of hours. You will love the results.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Weed! It's great to have you here and congrats on the BGE! Happy birthday!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
        2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Gals & Guys: Thanks for the advice; will wait until after Christmas to look for a plate setter... might find one in the egg nest tomorrow. I'll definitely start with the butt-- always been a butt man. Will check out the newbie sight as well. As Rick told Captain Renault, " Louis, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Weed

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I've had mine since 2002 and never stopped loving it. And the warranty is good enough that I was able to assemble a second one from leftover replaced parts + about $200 (for a foodie friend).

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here