Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday Boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday Boy

I am an old timer-- if I had hair, it would be white. I've cooked over a hole in the ground, refrigerator racks on cinder blocks, Webers, gas grills, electric smokers and barrel smokers. Imagine my surprise coming home this afternoon and finding a Big Green Egg perched on the deck ! These things always intimidated me--- maybe it was the price. Of course it was the price! Seems my girlfriend cannot be intimidated . Long to short-- what does this thing do best? Any tips for best use.

weed

Welcome Weed Happy Birthday Breadhead will be along shortly and he will tell you what all you can do with the BGE
    Last edited by DWCowles; December 22, 2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Baltimore, MD! I'm sure there are great things to come from that BGE. I have heard it's great for low and slow, and also fantastic for pizza. There will be many here who can advise you.

Comment

Greetings from Florida Weed

Comment

I don't have one so I can't help you. Just wanted to say welcome and let you know how much I enjoyed your first post. Keep them coming!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I don't have a BGE, but there are a number of members who do. I'm sure they will be along shortly with lots of help and suggestions.

Comment

Welcome Weed! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Breadhead has a few insanely good write ups on kamados. Do a search on the forum. You'll find them! There's a few different parts (I, II, III, etc)

Comment

Welcome Weed. You're not from the town of Weed, CA are you? Anyone who would buy you a BGE is a good person. You can do everything with it. I have a Vision grill - not quite as good as a BGE. Your BGE will hold a consistent temp for hours without needing fuel. It smokes food nicely, grills food really well and is made to last forever. I'm definitely not the expert with the ceramic grill but there are tons on this site who are. Glad to have you around.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can do anything that you can do in your kitchen oven, better, and then some other things like high-temp pizza and BBQ.

Welcome from Nebraska, Weed!

Comment

Weed ... Welcome to the Pit. You've just made an important first step to learning how to use your ceramic cooker by joining the Pit.

I... like you, received my large BGE as a surprise Christmas gift.🙈 I looked at it as if it was dropped off by aliens that were F-ing with my brain.

I had no clue how to use it or what lump coal was but it looked pretty cool. I had just retired from working for a living and needed a project so I thought I would study how to use this unusual looking beast.

I'm not an expert... but I will try to help shorten your learning curve of cooking on a Kamado cooker. If I were you... I would go here and read all of the threads posted about ceramic cooking. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...o-is-a-chimney

CeramicChef started that string of threads to give his 20 years of ceramic cooking to others trying to learn the craft. He should be given high respect for taking the initiative to launch that discussion on AmazingRibs.com.

So... here we are, you having a cooker you know absolutely NOTHING about.🙈 I feel your amazement. Been there, done that!

Now lets talk... what do you like to cook? Do you want to grill or BBQ? Do you like to bake? You have no limitations except your imagination. Your new cooker can do it all.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Guys: did not expect such an immediate and encouraging response! No, not from Weed, CA., although I do have a picture a pal sent me taking a leak on a Weed, California sign. He was on his way to Oregon. I am a fan of ribs, butts,briskets, chicken and steaks. I think it would be simpler to say I am a carnivore. It seems this egg will do it all. I have a 6 pound rib roast in the ' fridge, but common sense tells me it should not be my maiden venture. By the way, I am a big fan of the forum; have been lurking in the shadows for a few months. Got Meathead's autographed book along the way-- great publication! Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll go to the recommended sites.

I will immerse myself in the care and feeding of the BGE. With your help and encouragement, it's going to be fun and delicious.
                      By the way--- you're right-- she is a very special person.

Weed

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Wow, what a great girlfriend! Congrats on your amazing gift, Weed . You've sure come to the right place for excellent advice on getting that beast up, running, and humming a BBQ tune all its own. Enjoy using your present, and let us know how your cooks come out.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here