Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G'day from Sydney, Australia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'day from Sydney, Australia!

I first stumbled across amazingribs.com when I wanted to try some American style BBQ smoking on my gas grill, and the setup instructions proved invaluable and I had some pretty good results.

In preparation for the Australian summer this year I took the plunge and got myself an 18.5" WSM, bought the Meathead book for inspiration, and have already done a few cooks on it - but I'm still getting the hang of it but the results have been delicious!

I've been working on my own WiFi thermometer on and off over the last year - based on an ESP8266 module (for those that know what that is) - works well enough for my cooks for now, but it's still on a breadboard and I still need to integrate a thermistor based meat probe (currently only have thermocouples, which I can't find in a probe suitable for meat).

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing, and hopefully find some fellow Aussies to share tips as to where to find the best meat (so far for me Costco has been pretty good for ribs and pork butt - and it's only 20 min from home), and find out about what easily locally available Australian woods are good for smoking (buying Mesquite for AU$30+ for a few KG isn't sustainable!)

Welcome to the Pit. It sounds like you're a smart fella so you'll fit right in with the experts here. BTW, I am not one of those experts.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Marcin! Great to have you here with us, thanks for your support. I am jealous that summer is starting for you, as it's just ending for us. The days are getting short, and in my area of the USA there's a chill in the air that will only get worse.... But the cookers get no breaks here!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, Md!

Comment

Welcome Marcin

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Nice to have a Sydneysider on board ...

Comment

Welcome, Marcin !!!!

Best regards to you, in Oz, from here, in The Land of Oz!

Looking forward to your input!

Comment

Welcome Marcin. For what its worth, I tested this probe along with a MAX6675 in my Atmel AVR based thermometer. Eventually went to thermistors though because they're more commonly available.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...products_id=56

I have no idea what they would charge to ship it down under!

Comment

Thanks for the tip johnec00 , however the answer is too much - US$15 (more than the probe!). But your response did prompt me to do another eBay search and I found a couple of k-type probes shipped cheap from China which I couldn't find last time! Ordered one straight away.

For example: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/K-Type-Th...cAAOSwLN5WhyTb

I use the MAX6675 as well, they work really well. I found resistive probes are much harder to work with because each one is different and you need to work out the right values for the formulas to get a temperature value out of them (and then spend extra time calibrating / verifying).

Comment

• johnec00
                    johnec00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you found something. I went to the thermistors because I wanted 4 channels, and that approach simplified layout. It only takes a few minutes to calibrate and if you stick to one particular type of probe, they're interchangeable. This is getting a little too geeky for a bbq board!!!!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Marcin!

Comment

Welcome and hope you enjoy the ride, I'm new to this board to and this group is great.

Comment

Marcin, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Welcome Down Under from Us Up Here near the 49th N! The arbitrary line between the USA and Canada where both Legal Trade and Smuggling Exists!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

Comment

welcome from, er, Up Over??

Comment

Welcome aboard Marcin! I could'nt help but smile, when you mentioned getting ready for summer. We are getting ready to hunker down for the big chill up here. Enjoy the ride & the cooking!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here