Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Hello from Walnut Creek, Ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brookie
    Club Member
    • Sep 2016
    • Walnut Creek, CA

Hello from Walnut Creek, Ca

Hello,
    I joined the Pit after learning about Meathead's AR from a close friend and great cook. I am a retired guy now with time to work on fine tuning my BBQ skills. Been BBQing for a long time. The results were usually good but not always. Recently I was cooking some ribs that looked good but ended up dry and a big disappointment. That was the last straw. Now thanks to AR I am learning how to control my cooking temperatures better and hopefully on my way to more consistent and satisfying results.
    Right now I am running gassers. A Bull Texan and a Webber Genesis. One is at sea level and the other at 6500 feet. I have started my new BBQ adventure with Last Meal Ribs on each grill, primarily to learn temperature control, and will be cooking some more ribs later this week on the Bull BBQ.
    The results so far are great and I am looking forward to more improvement.
    Plus lots of new lingo to learn and apply. Reverse Sear, Texas Cutch, etc. And a whole new list of acronyms and abbreviations to connect with. Yeah!
    Thanks folks I'm enjoying this.
    Best regards,
    Brookie
    PS. Yes, I am a fisherman.
  • DWCowles
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Smiths Grove, Ky
    • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Welcome Brookie

Comment

• FireMan
      Charter Member
      • Jul 2015
      • Bottom of Winnebago

As far as acronyms go the most important is MCS. You are just beginning to be under its spell. Woe is thy!
      Welcome aboard & enjoy the ride!

One of our moderators is a great fisherman, you will soon here the tales of Huskee, fisherguy of the north.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        Club Member
        • Sep 2015
        • Colorado
        • > Weber Genesis EP-330
          > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
          > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
          > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
          > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
          to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
          > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
          > Thermoworks Smoke
          > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
          > Thermoworks Thermapen
          > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
          > Anova sous vide circulator
          > Searzall torch
          > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

> Favorite Beer: Guinness Extra Stout, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, or Alaskan Amber
          > Favorite Wine: Klinker Brick Old Ghost Zinfandel or Matetic Corralillo Winemaker's Blend
          > Favorite Whiskey: Balvenie Double Wood Scotch or Jameson Irish

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• SoCal Smoke
          Former Member
          • Jul 2016

Grilled or smoked fish is awesome
          !!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            Charter Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Winchester TN
            • Hardware
              Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado.
              Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill.
              Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0), DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
              Weber Chimney starters (regular and half).
              Joule.
              GrillGrates, GrateGriddles.
              Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
              ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
              KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks)
              Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins.
              SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
              MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPOG.

Welcome to The Pit Brookie. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support! Nice introduction. Feel free to post some photos of your ribs (we're big fans of photos).

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
            • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
            • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              Charter Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Grew up in New Orleans, lived in Texas for 20 years, lived in Mandeville, LA for 22 years. I now liv

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• kenrobin
                Charter Member
                • Jun 2015
                • San Francisco Bay Area
                • Cookers
                  - 18" Weber Smokey Mountain (2000)
                  - Weber Genesis EP-310 (2013-2015)
                  - 22.5" Weber Master Touch (2015)
                  - Traeger Pro Tailgater (2015)
                  - Mak 1 Star General w/ wi-fi (2016)

Thermostats
                  - ThermaQ
                  - Thermapen
                  - ChefAlarm
                  - DOT
                  - iGrill2

Brookie Welcome to the pit. I'm just up the road from you in Clayton.

Comment

• OneEyedJack
                  Club Member
                  • Jul 2016
                  • Walnut Creek, CA

Hey Brookie, welcome to the Pit. I think I live in the same county as you. Keep us posted with photos from your cooks.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Pit Boss
                    • May 2014
                    • central MI, USA
                    • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
                      • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
                      • PBC
                      • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
                      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
                      • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
                      • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
                      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
                      • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
                      • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
                      • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
                      • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
                      • (7) Maverick ET-732s
                      • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
                      • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
                      • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
                      • Thermapen MkII, orange
                      • ThermoPop, yellow
                      • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
                      • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
                      • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
                      • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
                      • Instant Pot 6qt
                      • Anova Bluetooth SV
                      • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
                      • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
                      • BBQ Dragon
                      • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
                      • Weber grill topper
                      • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
                      • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
                      • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
                      • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
                      • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
                      • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
                      • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
                      • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
                      • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
                      • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
                      Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

A belated welcome to The Pit Brookie! To help you with the new acronyms, we have a Acronyms & Abbreviations thread, this is also linked to in the homework assignment fuzzydaddy shared with you. Welcome aboard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    Meat-Up in Memphis

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order