Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheers from Pittsburgh, n'at.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers from Pittsburgh, n'at.

Hi everyone! I've been checking out the site for awhile but just got into the forums recently. I found a lot of the material site wide invaluable and great tips in the forums so I upgraded my account during the free trial. The community really sold me on it.

I'm a dad of 2 boys from Pittsburgh PA but not a native yinzer. Just to get it out of the way, I'm a Steelers fan but don't expect me to talk football. I'm more of a hockey and baseball guy. During the day I'm a web/Social Media/Digital Marketing guy and at night I'm a craft beer podcaster and sometimes homebrewer.

Because of my job and family life I had to settle for being a weekend bbq guy but now as schedules change and the kids get older I'm trying to get myself and the fam more time together and involved with cooking. I have a small yard in the South Hills so I'm very limited on space. I have a Weber 22 one-touch gold outside and in use year round and looking for more toys that would be easy to move in & outside especially when winter hits with no garage.

My father-in-law & brother-in-law are in central TX and have been big influences on me. They gave me my first taste of brisket which made my eyes open wide and say I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE! Growing up in chain restaurant hell of NWPA I had no idea a meal this good this could exist and we could make it. Kinda like the first time I had a craft beer.

I've been podcasting for over 10 years and one of the most asked questions I get, besides best local beer, is where to get good food, especially BBQ. Beer guy has to eat, right? I started asking food & beer friends where they like to go and after doing some digging myself found something amazing, there are close to 40 BBQ joints in the SWPA area. Yeah, around Pittsburgh. Seriously.

So that got me on a mission to start visiting these places and find out what their style is and ask a lot of questions. Given that we're a melting pot of so many cultures I have no idea what to expect but I'm going to have fun while doing it and so will the kiddos.

Cheers!
    -spoon

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit spoon! What a great intro! Nice to have you here, and thanks for joining up with us and saying hello.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Nevada

Comment

Spoon, it's really cool to see your excitement. BBQ/Grillin will do that to someone. It's also great to see the inclusion of the fam. Welcome aboard & enjoy the ride. Wings, Packers, & Tigers myself, Steelers & Pens, not to shabby. How's it feel to have the Cup Champs?

Comment

• spoon
            spoon commented
            Editing a comment
            My 7yr old and I were at the arena watching it inside on the jumbotron (since they won in SJ) and that experience was incredible. 2009 was really special for me because it happened the day before his baptism and now 7 years later he got to see it for himself.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome spoon

Comment

Welcome to The Pit spoon. We're glad you joined!

Comment

spoon, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Below I have some Pics of My two 22 1/2 Webers on the the back deck. The Performer Deluxe w/cart has a Med Vortex Accessory, I use it for reverse searing steaks, chicken etc. The Older Weber Performer has a S 'n S by Adrenaline BBQ Co., a SS Baffle ove the Coal Grate opposite the S 'n S, I have also installed a BBQGuru DigiQ DX-2 Temp Control and Fan! Tremendous for Low and Slow BBQ Year Arround!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	212490 Click image for larger version

Views:	373
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	212489 Click image for larger version

Views:	390
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	212491 Click image for larger version

Views:	373
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	212492 Click image for larger version

Views:	384
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	212494 Click image for larger version

Views:	383
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	212493 Click image for larger version

Views:	380
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	212495

Comment

• spoon
                  spoon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow impressive! I might have to hit you up when I'm ready to trick out my 22. I've been thinking about the BBQ Guru to deal with the winter months coming up. I was able to do year round when I had gas but when I moved to charcoal I'd freeze watching temps

• spoon
                  spoon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been reading up on the SnS. You really like it?

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good golly. Miss this guy!

Welcome from a fellow south hills yinzer!

Comment

• spoon
                  spoon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet! How many Pittsburghers have you found on here?

Hi Spoon! (is that a tick reference?) My BF's a yinzer (though now he's in Eagles country). We stopped by a place near Shadyside to get some ribs for his dad. Don't recall the place but it was really expensive (a half-rack was more than a full rack here). I've been working on re-creating Pamela's pancakes and I think I'm getting close.

Comment

• spoon
                  spoon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Everything by Shadyside is expensive. What do you usually pay for a 1/2 rack/full rack?

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fireside in Feasterville, PA has a wednesday special we hit - half rack for $10, full rack $16 (with sides). We tried it sauce on the side and like just tasting the rub without any sauce.

Hola from Texas!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, from a Baltimore Ravens fan! I forgive you for being a Steelers fan, btw.

Comment

• spoon
                    spoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You'll always be the Browns to me

Welcome to the o the Pit! Central Texas is kinda the nirvana of BBQ.

Comment

• spoon
                    spoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What I knew of central TX bbq came from Food shows but actually seeing and eating first hand was mind blowing. I need to make a list of places I want to visit around the US sometime. I'm hoping for more time on my next trip or make a dedicated BBQ run.

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    spoon when you enter the state the tourist info has a BBQ of central Texas.

Welcome to the pit. Happy to have you here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here