Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm No Pit Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm No Pit Master

I've loved barbecue forever. I first got into it in '97 with a Brinkmann Smokin' Pit Professional with a lid thermometer, charcoal, mesquite chunks from Safeway, and occasionally some apple wood cut from the neighbor's old trees. It worked pretty well, mostly.

I moved, the pit went into storage, and I only got back into it this year, after fitting the same pit with a BBQ Guru, and cutting down the freeze-killed cherry tree in my back yard. That worked ok: I shouldn't have tried to pick up where I left off with a brisket and a log fire.

Since then, I've cooked a few chickens, some salmon, and a pork butt with charcoal and more apple wood, and the results have been steadily getting better as the Guru and I have been learning how to run that pit. It's led to a large accumulation of fruitwood in the yard, especially after a heavy snow this spring.

Last week, I bought a Traeger Texas something-or-other on clearance locally; I couldn't resist a $300 savings, and the idea that I wouldn't have to hover so close to a pit during a cook. So far, I'm unimpressed with the wild temperature swings my impulse buy got me-- my Guru does a WAY better job of controlling a fire. We'll see how it goes, I guess, but I won't be getting rid of my Brinkmann/Guru rig anytime soon. I should have done some research here first.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to picking up some wisdom here (maybe on how to control this Treager: it seemed like such a good idea...).

Welcome to The Pit Nailhead! Glad to have you here, thanks for your support. It's great to hear you've been having increasing success with your Brinkmann, I started out with a Brinkmann myself, a cabinet style, but no Guru.

How wild are your temp swings? If you're aiming for 225 and get swings of 200-250 you are still in a good ballpark.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome Nailhead

Comment

If you can tame a COS (POS?) like a Brinkmann you can call yourself a Pit Master in my book. Welcome.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Nailhead. We're glad your here!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Nailhead - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to BBQ University!

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Complete with graduate school.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

What type of heat controller does it have? (does it just have like 4 positions? smoke low, med, and high) or does it give you a range from smoke to 450 degrees? I'm betting it is the 1st that's why the big savings you can buy the upgraded controller for a Benjamin The folloing is the link for the controller:
                  http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/pa...w_wcB&start=69

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Nailhead !

Comment

Nailhead, Welome to the Pit! I am more of a Backyard Cremator than a Pit Master, but I believe I would venture a phone call or eMail to Traeger's Customer Service Dept and "ask" for help with your problem! Remember You can catch more Flys with Honey than Vinager!
                      Good Luck! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Well, welcome Nailhead! Enjoy your addiction, this is the best enabling support group ever

Comment

Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to learning.

Answers to questions:

Huskee - I came home last night and as I walked past the pit, I saw 306 degrees displayed. It was set to 225. That is absolutely unacceptable. I've been on the line to Traeger tech support & the helpful gent on the other end attributed the temp swings to an improper start-up procedure, which I followed to the letter for yesterday's cook, since I had two butts going. I'm going to stay with it for a few more cooks, and if this problem persists Traeger will hear much from me. Energetically. I work too hard for my money to spend it on hype.

As for an "email safe list", I have no idea what you mean by that. Computers are to me like a pancreas: I own one, it works, I know not how, nor do I really want to. Crucial difference being I value my pancreas and I tolerate computers, usually. And why does everyone put "@" in front of my user name?

The "homework" thing I get-- I'll check it out presently.

Boftx - The Brinkmann I have is old enough that it's made pretty well. It's no Horizon, but the metal looks to be about 1/8" thick, and the hinges have actual welds holding them on. It's made perceptibly better than that Traeger, if that tells you anything. I have sealed off the firebox door with muffler tape, however, to better control the draft. it's a looker, now.

GadjetGriller - It has the 2015 blue-numeral controller with positions from "Smoke" to "450", with a shut-down setting. I think at this point "controller" is a misnomer: "temperature randomizer" is more accurate. The reason I got it at the price I did is because it is last years model.

Danjohnston949 - Believe me, I realize the importance of the honey/vineger thing; my mom loves to bandy that one about. I have, as I mentioned, discussed it with Traeger tech support, but I only have so much time to devote to sitting on hold, waiting my turn. I tried again yesterday, but gave up after 15-20 min. Email is next. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here