Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Philly Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Philly Smoker

Hi guys I've been looting tips from the site for awhile now as I constantly get links to here when I google random things into the google machine like "how to smoke bacon" and "what is better briquettes or lump" or "what is the best grill therm" and so on. I decided I needed to contribute my $$ knowing I have already gotten my moneys worth...what a prick.

Anyways I am originally from Scranton and attended Penn State. I met my wife here in 2007 while living in center city and opening the Philadelphia office of Exhibit A, our family business that helps attorneys present their cases digitally. Check www.exhibitadigital.com if you are interested in learning my real name (website needs updating don't judge!). We bought our first home here in South Philly with a tiny back yard.

I've used gas grills all my life and when my last one died I bought a Weber Kettle. I feel like I wasted ten years of my life onthem. I am totally in love with how the charcoal makes everything amazingly delicious. The release of the new Summit Charcoal grill has be thinking I upgrade, but I think I will put that on hold until I see what the next house looks like in two years or so. I have also put on hold my other more $$ hobby of home theater. (Currently 7.1 Klipsch haven in my also tiny basement)

So looking forward to my magnet, more and more tips and tricks, and of course the giveaways!

Welcome James Holden

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit James Holden!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I suggest you give the SlowNSear a try before you venture into the high end stuff. If you are not ready to purchase the SnS give Meathead's set up a try for the Weber or try the snake method.

Comment

• James Holden
            James Holden commented
            Editing a comment
            I was just checking out the SnS! Probably going to order shortly.

James Holden - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

James Holden, Welcome to The Pit! Check Out a S 'n S Accesory for your Weber Kettle(less than $100) and a temp controller if the Sheckles will allow! A DigiQ-2 temp controller is + $200, but there are others i.e. The Auber etc. You should be able to find links on the AR Home Page under ratings and reviews! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• James Holden
              James Holden commented
              Editing a comment
              Ooooo I like your metal plate insert. I was thinking of things to add some thermal density maybe that and a brick plus the SnS would be a cheap upgrade. Thanks for the idea!

Welcome to the pit James Holden!

Comment

Welcome to the pit James, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit James Holden! Nice to have you here with us. Great intro! Charcoal + meat is really really good. I LOVE the food from a gas grill, it makes a darn fine steak. Because of that, for years I had no desire to use a charcoal grill, thinking I had to us lighter fluid, deal with all that ash flying around, etc...then when I finally decided to round out into the world of smoking and using charcoal & wood, wallah! I haven't looked back.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Huskee Just did my homework can I have a gold star?! ha Good tips though. I have some experience with other forums- subaru forester, home theater, etc and yours works beautifully in comparison. I know that did not happen overnight so I congratulate the whole amazing ribs crew for the effort and success! I will say that I wish there was some heated arguments on here, its always fun to watch those, but I know what its
                  like to be infuriated by prick posts so I guess I can live without it. (can I say prick on here?haha)

I am never going back to gas! I fiddled with wood chip boxes, indirect heat and a litany of other tips (maybe some from your site) but boy oh boy was I glad I had a budget and access to Amazingribs when my last grill died, because I got my Weber Kettle and boy every scrap of food that comes off it is delicious. Plus I feel like I joined a secret society of soot covered carnivores. (my 8th grade English teacher would kill me for all the I's I just used)

I hope to contribute in some minor way to your site and THANKS AGAIN!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit James Holden .

Comment

Originally posted by James Holden View Post
                      Huskee Just did my homework can I have a gold star?! ha Good tips though. I have some experience with other forums- subaru forester, home theater, etc and yours works beautifully in comparison. I know that did not happen overnight so I congratulate the whole amazing ribs crew for the effort and success! I will say that I wish there was some heated arguments on here, its always fun to watch those, but I know what its
                      like to be infuriated by prick posts so I guess I can live without it. (can I say prick on here?haha)

I am never going back to gas! I fiddled with wood chip boxes, indirect heat and a litany of other tips (maybe some from your site) but boy oh boy was I glad I had a budget and access to Amazingribs when my last grill died, because I got my Weber Kettle and boy every scrap of food that comes off it is delicious. Plus I feel like I joined a secret society of soot covered carnivores. (my 8th grade English teacher would kill me for all the I's I just used)

I hope to contribute in some minor way to your site and THANKS AGAIN!
                      Glad to have you here! We try to keep the flames in the pits where they belong, we're all friends here. Food & drink are meant to bring folks together and that's the mantra we try to keep here in The Pit. If you like flame wars and arguments, you could always try the CNN Disqus boards!

Charcoal & wood are just hard to beat flavorwise. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a steak or burger done on a gasser. But I LOVE (<--- see the italics?) those done over wood or charcoal. Plus, fire is fun!

Oh, and I'll give you your gold star when your signature is filled out See tip #1 here for instructions.

Comment

Hey James,
                        Welcome! I'm new here myself and I can tell you one of the best things about this site is that there are really no flaming insults or heated arguments at all. Just a lot of great people talking about cooking. Yeah, it's rare these days. That's why it's such a great place to hang out. Enjoy yourself!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here