Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill/Smoker selection help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill/Smoker selection help

Hello,
    Intro,
    My wife and I recently retired from active duty military and are looking forward to starting a new chapter where we can spend more time in the states with family.

To the contributors of this site,
    I've been following the site for some time, but this is my first post. I want to thank all the folks contributing to this site, as your efforts have greatly improved my understanding and skills of outdoor grilling selection, techniques, and recipes. Because of the lessons/techniques, I learned here, my family and I have enjoyed many outdoor BBQ/Cooking events.

Question to the community
    I have a Backwoods G2 Chubby Smoker, XL Big Green Egg, and a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I'm looking for a new addition that allows for high temp grilling with controlled temps and a simpler/smaller smoking option. My thought is a Primo Oval Ceramic Grill. So something versatile. Thoughts?

-The Backwoods G2 is excellent, and I use it for meats 15 pounds or more (i.e., 2x 20lb+ briskets, six whole chickens, two turkeys). I use it for those extended, low temp smokes for lots of meat...and it has never failed. I've had the smoker for nine years, and it performs without fail. My only Con would be it's set for lots of meats for big groups...not really a con as that was in the product description.
    -Big Green Egg XL is excellent, and I use it for 2" steaks to chicken. I've had the Egg for eight years, and it also performs without fail. I must admit I mainly use it for steaks or foods that require a sear. My only Con is that it's challenging to set up for indirect grilling when cooking multiple items and just grilling for two.
    -Masterbuilt electric smoker is also excellent, and I use it solely for smoking my homemade sausages and deer hot links. Its tall capacity allows me to hang my sausages, allowing for full heat/smoke vs. placing them on a grill. No complaints, as the family has been happy with everything I've pulled out of this smoker.

I fully appreciate and respect the breadth of opinions and expertise on this site.

Thank you
    Joe W
    Attached Files

Looking good in the neighborhood!!
    Hello and Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

I would suggest you check out the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill AKA Weber Kamado.

Comment

Welcome to the posting side of The Pit.

It's hard to go wrong with a Weber Kettle. You can grill or smoke on it, and it will easily cook for up to 4 people.

You can add an SnS, a Vortex, and a very nice temp controller and still be less than the Primo. You could also add a rotisserie and probably still be less than the Primo. There's a whole lot of versatility with these options.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          +3

• Purc
          Purc commented
          Editing a comment
          +4 and thank you for your service.

• Soonerpop
          Soonerpop commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, +5. And thank you.

Congrats on the retirement(s). A great retirement present would be an all stainless MAK 2 star with the way overpriced super smoker box... it grills fairly well, though you'd want the MAK sear grates. That would give you a very versatile cooker and cause you to debate on of the other cookers going away as well (That's my stupid expensive idea)

Or you can go cheaper and grab a decent gasser and pony up for a fireboard or similar with a fan to control one of your other cookers?

Comment

• AZhouse
          AZhouse commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm personally not a fan of the gasser setups. However, I do like the idea of being able to retire some of the older grills for a simpler solution...However, I do look at retiring my grills in the same light as I think about retiring my other constitutional allowed tools. I'll never sell or get rid of either. I learned a lot with both and there are memories attached to each.
          Joe W

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          AZhouse won't find many here who would discourage stockpiling/collecting cookers

• Soonerpop
          Soonerpop commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly. Because less is not more, as in MCS—More Cooker Syndrome

Thank you both for your service!

You're much further along in the smoking game than I so I'll just stay out of it and watch.

Until you cook something...

Welcome to the Pit from Central Massachusetts.

Strength and Honor

Comment

Greetings from North Carolina. Have to agree that it is hard to beat the Weber kettle with the SnS, other accessories. Have a 22" and 26", go with the 26".

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas! I think Uncle Bob might recommend the Oklahoma Joe Bronco.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the wave Sonny. It's not really clear to me what he wants to achieve, so while the Bronco can be made to accomplish a wide range of cooks, I can also see where the BGE accessorized could accomplish many things as well.

You have a great setup, what you want, really simple with lots of options. Ok, Weber 22, weber 26, sns kettle all work for your needs.

Comment

Welcome from California!

When it comes to easy grilling for two it’s tough to beat a Weber kettle.

Comment

Hello from Manassas

Big Fan of the Okie Joe....the charcoal grates from Horizon work well and then you can smoke, grill....whatever

Comment

You're familiar with Masterbuilt, so you might want to take a look at the Gravity Series charcoal grills/smokers. I got my 1050 last fall and have absolutely loved it. It's been my most used outdoor cooker. There is a site (LS Mods) that sells some high quality accessories that make it even better.

Comment

Welcome!

I don't have an RT-380, but it seems to fit the bill for "for high temp grilling with controlled temps and a simpler/smaller smoking option". It seems to be at a reasonable price too. And... ease of use.

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-b...d-pellet-grill

Does anyone here in the pit have any experience with this?

Edit: I found this... https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ill#post928520
                    Last edited by treesmacker; September 1, 2022, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• treesmacker
                      treesmacker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't see a review for the current version here on Amazing Ribs - I'd say best to see what users say.

• Allon
                      Allon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed.

• Rtoboz
                      Rtoboz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I got a RB 380 for Christmas and it has really performed well for me. With a temperature range from 180 to over 700 degrees, it will sear my steaks and smoke some salmon. I also have a RT 680 that I use for all my bigger smokes. But the RB 380 has taken over virtually all of the grilling work. My gasser just sits in the corner now!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

The LSG 24x48 grill would serve your stated goals very well. Gives you the option of a smaller grill space by using just one side. Or you could load it up and grill for the neighborhood. It will also serve as a smaller smoker with the option to sear afterwards.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here