Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from a new member in Tucson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from a new member in Tucson

About a year ago I invested in m Green Mountian Daniel Boone pellet smoker. Aside from its tendency to disconnect from wifi (which means I can't use the temperature probes unless I am willing to fool around with it) it has performed beautifully.

I do have a question. Everyone has an opinion about what temperature to smoke various meats at. I read Meathead's articles about rendering fat which gave some general ideas. Mostly it talked about internal temperature for food safety.

What would be really interesting is a chart or table laying out the ideal temperatures at various cooking times. For example, if you plan to smoke chicken quarters for say 2 hours, what is the ideal temperature to maximize smoking while rendering the ideal amount of fat? Maybe the temp should be lower and the time longer, or vice versa... Clearly, ribs or the extreme of pork buts are going to be in the smoker a lot longer and the dynamics are entirely different for each.

Does anyone else wonder about this?

Good to be aboard,

John

Hello Tucson, love your town my wife says if we move to retire she would consider your fair town, from Stockton Ca will let smart people comment on your query. if after they give good advise i might chime in on my stupid stuff

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Stockton is lovely. I went to the University of the Pacific for a band camp about a hundred years ago... As a native of San Francisco, I can tell you all about Tucson.

Welcome to The Pit John. I'll have to let someone else answer your questions.

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Maybe we can both learn something.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Yes, I have wondered about that, briefly though, then my head hurt. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why I asked all you experts!

Hi John.

There are many variables that go into determining the length of a smoke. Smoker temp and size of the item being cooked are two major ones. How much do those chicken quarters/ribs/pork butts weigh? Therefore, it is best to cook by internal meat temp rather than time. Your chicken quarters will be done when they hit 165F. Whether that takes an hour and a half or three hours is going to be determined by weight and cook temp. Sorry I can't give you clearer advice on how to choose a cooking temp, but in my experience time varies while meat temp for doneness stays the same.

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I understand what you are saying. I swear by my internal instant-read thermometer. My question is not about determining doneness, but about how to determine the ideal cooking temperature to obtain the ideal result. The time will then take care of itself.

For example, a local smoking instructor recommends 225 for chicken quarters while John Henry in East Texas says that is too low and you need 250 to render the fat effectively.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Greetings and welcome from North Carolina.

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that Carolina rub.

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts.

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice to be here. Thanks.

Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice to have so many greetings. Thanks!

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

• john Shattuck
      john Shattuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Bet you have a good rub recipe. I like the tangy Memphis or Carolina rubs. What do you use "up north"?

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Howdy from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here