Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Signals from SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Signals from SC

Hello from South Carolina where "barbecue" is generally a noun but never one that refers to that thing you put coals in or the gathering in which hot dogs and hamburgers are often cooked. In SC, bbq has historically meant pork and nothing else.

It's a place where some argue (however tenuously) that BBQ was born, the place mustard-based bbq sauce was first concocted (but vinegar-based is still preferred by many), and a place where hash is not something you eat for breakfast nor ever enjoy "corned," but spooned over rice on your plate of pulled pork from whole hogs cooked over wood embers on an old concrete block pit.

South Carolina is home to famed pitmasters like Rodney Scott (James Beard/Chef's Table) and John Lewis, but also a place where barbecue has long, deep traditions. A place where unsung black pitmasters forged a tradition under some of our history's cruelest conditions, and where today folks of all colors come together 'round the burn barrel or sit together at a picnic table in family or community gatherings year-round. A place where we've come a long way, but admittedly have a long way to go.

I began writing about SC BBQ in 2012 when my wife suggested we go on a Summer BBQ Tour. "You can write a blog about it," she said. Almost a decade later, and I still am.

If you have any questions about the "SC BBQ Trail," I am happy to share what I know or find out what I can.

Cheers from Charleston.
    Last edited by jroller; May 28, 2021, 08:26 AM.

Welcome to the Pit from North Alabama. I think our only claim to fame is white BBQ sauce served with chicken, created by Big Bob Gibson many decades ago.

Looking forward to seeing what you're cooking over there in SC!

Edit: I was a little confused by the title of this thread at first, because "Smoke Signals" is the name of a monthly email newsletter from AmazingRibs.com...

Comment

BBQ did not start in SC. I started BBQ'n in NW Oregon a few years ago. "SC BBQ Trail," is a wonderful idea.
      BBQ from the West Coast to the East Coast.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Glad you finally found your way in!

Now about that "Birth place of BBQ" thing.......

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts. Not much as far as regional bbq in Mass but as close as we have would be a crock of baked beans.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta. The birthplace of BBQ heaven, at least mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
            Welcome to the Pit from North Alabama. I think our only claim to fame is white BBQ sauce served with chicken, created by Big Bob Gibson many decades ago.
            Looking forward to seeing what you're cooking over there in SC!
            Edit: I was a little confused by the title of this thread at first, because "Smoke Signals" is the name of a monthly email newsletter from AmazingRibs.com...
            Thanks to all and apologies for the confusion. I was unaware. Just seemed like a catchy title.

As for SC: Birthplace of BBQ thing, I figured I might catch a bit of flack. To clarify, I am merely reporting on a theory that was floated by SC BBQ Assoc. founder Lake High in his book on the history of SC BBQ.

Whiskeyman53, Nothing better with BBQ than some baked beans!
            Last edited by jroller; May 28, 2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a catchy title! No offense taken!

Welcome from south Texas, home of a lot of other bbq claims🤣. It’s all good, mostly.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from California.

I live in a state that has has only one style of barbecue ('Santa Maria Style'), but it's never called 'California Barbecue'. So I'm fascinated at the Carolinas that claim 4 flavors of barbecue!

Comment

Welcome from TN. Everybody knows the BBQ birth place is Memphis. But I got to tell you, the first time I had Maurice's Spicy Southern Gold sauce at a Maurice's Piggy Park (I think it was the one in Lexington), it blew me out of the water. Now I always have a bottle on hand. Even after I read Maurice's history...

Comment

Welcome from St. Cloud, FL.

Comment

Howdy from The Great State of Jefferson, where we're famous for trees and Weed!

Comment

Greetings from Iowa. We have........corn. lol

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

I’m pretty sure that my first ancestor to arrive in the new world in 1617 as a transported convict probably cooked some meat over an open fire, when he could steal some, so I say Jamestown Virginia is where BBQ in America started.🙂

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here