Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sooty Fyra 12 pizza oven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooty Fyra 12 pizza oven!

Fired up the pizza oven last night and found it burning very sooty and with dark smoke coming out of the chimney! Didn't smell pleasant at all, though the pizza tasted fine! I've used the same pellets in my smoking tube for chesses and such and the aroma was pleasant with white smoke! Having never cooked with pellets before, is soot and creosote build-up common with pellets? (Traeger apple). It's probably just a matter of managing the fire, but have any of you Fyra owners experienced the same? Also, interior of oven is very sooty already with just two burns! does it require constant cleaning? As mentioned in previous posts, this was a gift and I figure on getting at least a year's use out of it before I up-grade to a gas model but need to get this issue under control. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

You shouldn't be getting soot, it should be hot enough fire to eliminate that. You've either got insufficient airflow or your fuel is degraded in some way. You're not getting proper combustion.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Fuel problem is my thoughts. Pellets + moisture? Those damp pellets.

Thanks for the input! It's unlikely damp pellets. After recieving the 20lb bag, I portioned down and vac-sealed pellets into quart sized bags. Like I said when smoking cheeses the smoke was clean and very aromatic. I'm gonna clean out the oven and chimney and do another burn without pizza . It might be just learning the knack of manually filling the hopper properly. There aren't any other variables!
    (Has any other Fyra owners tried wood chips as an additive to the pellets to enhance the flavor profile and perhaps cut down on the soot build up? )

Comment

I found the soot and creosote to be a real problem with the Fyra 12, along with the small size and temperature control. That is why I sold mine off and purchased a Koda 16. Sorry, that probably isn't what you wanted to hear. I think wood chips would be worth a try.

Comment

• RlsRls
        RlsRls commented
        Editing a comment
        It must be the design of the oven right? Otherwise all of the pellet smoker/grill owners out there would be experiencing the same thing no? I have no experience with pellet cookers so I couldn't say. Others have mentioned that the soot issue is from poor combustion, even with temps in the 700 to 900 range? I'm befuddled!! After a thorough cleaning yesterday, I fired it up again sans pizza and got a decent flame and temp for 40 minutes in 37 degree weather but the soot returned! Stumped!

At least I'm glad it's NOT just me!

Comment

• RlsRls
        RlsRls commented
        Editing a comment
        Fired up the Ooni again last night. Again, a very acrid unpleasant odor eminating from the oven! I even used the Ooni pellets this time! The other cooks were Traeger apple pellets. What's puzzling is that the pizzas taste fine with no evidence of a sooty burn! It can't be poor combustion because using the same pellets in my smoker tubes smoking chesses and nuts work fine and and they just smolder for a couple hours, but with a very pleasant aroma! Does the Multi fuel model create soot?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here